PDA

View Full Version : I did a search but didn't find....

BigGuy66
01-30-2017, 07:04 PM
... any posts about pulling a Harbor Freight HaulMaster tag-along cargo trailer. Anybody pulling one of these? I can't swing the $$$ for a BRP 622. These little gems are about 350-400 dollars and had some good reviews on the HF site. I'd like to hear from some Spyder folks...
Jim

Chupaca
01-30-2017, 07:07 PM
Search for it on google and you will find it. There are many out there pulling those tag a long trailers and they do well. Many have modified them creatively. I'm not one but have friends that do....:thumbup:

SPYD3R
01-30-2017, 07:22 PM
http://www.fquick.com/images/articles/5671.jpg https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRI6fEEClVIX3bW4UisgeC19c2dE4FAa NNMSvmch8CXBliT6jnIfw https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGz7_Plh7p7fjRthUx36cdmH9itkwMx OLoYaXEDxq3xxxJY2gt https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTr6zc4VeBz6iMP7Qgt85dskTu0DBQYr 6F1u_Tr3pO10WBTmQli https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQnKb5EbpHsf2i0oWDUvx_3fN5Ty4d0 DUlIBhTOqHVo_BqISMI

take your pick..... there are tons of varieties out there.....
Dan P
SPYD3R

IdahoMtnSpyder
01-30-2017, 07:29 PM
... any posts about pulling a Harbor Freight HaulMaster tag-along cargo trailer. Anybody pulling one of these? I can't swing the $$$ for a BRP 622. These little gems are about 350-400 dollars and had some good reviews on the HF site. I'd like to hear from some Spyder folks...
Jim
Maybe you were putting too many words into the search box. Putting harbor freight trailer into the search box on the advanced search page brings up 129 hits for me. The challenge is going through them all to glean the info you want. There is no easy way to do that.

Mick N
01-30-2017, 07:35 PM
Maybe you were putting too many words into the search box. Putting harbor freight trailer into the search box on the advanced search page brings up 129 hits for me. The challenge is going through them all to glean the info you want. There is no easy way to do that.

This might be the link you saw:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?98757-TRAILER-QUESTION-Harbor-Freight&highlight=harbor+freight+trailer

Here's the trailer:

http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-auto-200-lb-motorcycle-capacity-78-in-tag-along-trailer-62644.html

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-30-2017, 07:35 PM
If I were to guess ..... I think about 300 +....... and a lot of them only buy the frame from HB and then buy a Sears X-Cargo - car top carrier ( also 18 cu ft ) at a garage sale for $20.00 and bolt it on the frame ..... I did .....just make sure you check the bearings and change the tailites to ALL LED's ........ Mike :thumbup:

39BW
01-31-2017, 08:50 PM
I am pulling one of the trailers, and fully satisfied with it. I did do modifications found on internet ( spring modified, moved the box, led lights ) The thing pulls pretty good, and good price. Around 5000 miles on it.

retread
01-31-2017, 09:20 PM
I've had my Tagalong for about 5 years, added a kickstand, 12 inch wheels, and LED lights. Only problem I had was the Scotch locks they used for splices in the wiring, had to go through and solder and heat shrink all the splices.

john

PMK
02-01-2017, 07:46 AM
Jim

I do not own and have not pulled the HF trailer.

i know other trailers cost more.

In the classifieds, a guy is selling a nice small trailer. Seems to be well equipped and far more sporty than the HF trailer.

if nothing else, assuming you do not buy that trailer he is selling, use it for ideas.

PMK
02-01-2017, 09:29 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?99518-Cargo-trailer-for-sale

Blue Star
02-01-2017, 12:16 PM
If I were to guess ..... I think about 300 +....... and a lot of them only buy the frame from HB and then buy a Sears X-Cargo - car top carrier ( also 18 cu ft ) at a garage sale for $20.00 and bolt it on the frame ..... I did .....just make sure you check the bearings and change the tailites to ALL LED's ........ Mike :thumbup:

Mike, I made my trailer just as you described, but did not change the tail lights. Since you mention it a while back I got a recall notice for the tail lights, and they are sending me a replacement set.

It has been over three years since I have pulled it, but there was no trouble with it. The longest trip I took was over 1600 miles round trip. One lesson I learned was to not use a rattle can to paint the Sears X-Cargo carrier :opps:.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-01-2017, 01:47 PM
Mike, I made my trailer just as you described, but did not change the tail lights. Since you mention it a while back I got a recall notice for the tail lights, and they are sending me a replacement set.

It has been over three years since I have pulled it, but there was no trouble with it. The longest trip I took was over 1600 miles round trip. One lesson I learned was to not use a rattle can to paint the Sears X-Cargo carrier :opps:.
The reason I mentioned swapping to LED's are they Guarantee NOT upsetting the NANNY ..................and I agree with the PAINT issue .... that type of plastic Sears uses is NOT PAINT FRIENDLY ...... I painted mine with a Plastic friendly primer and that adhered well ..... then the finish color adhered well also ............... Mike :thumbup:

Blue Star
02-01-2017, 10:30 PM
The reason I mentioned swapping to LED's are they Guarantee NOT upsetting the NANNY ..................and I agree with the PAINT issue .... that type of plastic Sears uses is NOT PAINT FRIENDLY ...... I painted mine with a Plastic friendly primer and that adhered well ..... then the finish color adhered well also ............... Mike :thumbup:

I never had any issues with the tail light upsetting the nanny, and I really can't complain about the paint job too much. After all it is five years old, but I did learn from putting it together to do like you said. A plastic friendly primer.

amelectricdavid
02-01-2017, 11:28 PM
http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5892b578819e0/20160912_173633.jpg?
Made my own

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Av8er
02-02-2017, 08:11 AM
http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5892b578819e0/20160912_173633.jpg?
Made my own

Good greif!!!!! :roflblack:
What are you carrying in that thing? I could put both my kids and the great dane in it with room to spare.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-02-2017, 11:20 AM
Good greif!!!!! :roflblack:
What are you carrying in that thing? I could put both my kids and the great dane in it with room to spare.
I think His set-up is for camping --- and He does sleep in it ................. I would love to see more Pics and the specs ....Mike :thumbup:

amelectricdavid
02-02-2017, 12:36 PM
I think His set-up is for camping --- and He does sleep in it ................. I would love to see more Pics and the specs ....Mike [emoji106]
Yes ..i sleep in it..i have a cot fot it... .4 by 8 box 42 in tall at highest. Point..it only weighs 380lbs..close to limit ..last year i went camping with a 530lbs trailer...1600 miles handled grt143143143144143145...camping for one legged guy is to hard...and hotels a to expensive for...

Av8er
02-02-2017, 01:41 PM
I think His set-up is for camping --- and He does sleep in it ................. I would love to see more Pics and the specs ....Mike :thumbup:

Well that makes sense. Pretty cool design!

johnwinslow
02-02-2017, 03:04 PM

this is my set up. the extension on the back is an EZ up 10x10, which balances the set up nicely. I use LED lights which allows me to have separate stop turn and brake lights on my 2011 RTS. it is advisable to buy a bearing replacement kit the factory bearings do fail. it tows beautiful. put a mud flap on your spyder. I swapped out the red cooler for an igloo electric got tired of hauling ice and the mess of broken ice bags. if you look at my pass posts there is a wiring harness that worked for me.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-03-2017, 07:20 AM
Yes ..i sleep in it..i have a cot fot it... .4 by 8 box 42 in tall at highest. Point..it only weighs 380lbs..close to limit ..last year i went camping with a 530lbs trailer...1600 miles handled grt143143143144143145...camping for one legged guy is to hard...and hotels a to expensive for...

David,.... Kudo's for you...:yes::yes::yes:...... nice idea on the frame for the body :thumbup::thumbup:....... What do you use for the surface material ????? ..... When I thought about doing something similar I was considering a product called CORFAM (?) ..It's a like corrugated cardboard ...but made from very thin plastic ...waterproof and very strong .... you can get large sheets and depending on which way the tubes are oriented, some fairly tight curves can be accomplished ...... DIY'ers ROCK .....:yes::yes::yes: Mike :thumbup:

amelectricdavid
02-03-2017, 09:32 PM
David,.... Kudo's for you...:yes::yes::yes:...... nice idea on the frame for the body [emoji106][emoji106]....... What do you use for the surface material ????? ..... When I thought about doing something similar I was considering a product called CORFAM (?) ..It's a like corrugated cardboard ...but made from very thin plastic ...waterproof and very strong .... you can get large sheets and depending on which way the tubes are oriented, some fairly tight curves can be accomplished ...... DIY'ers ROCK .....:yes::yes::yes: Mike [emoji106]
I used 1/2 4ply for base...covered it all with water base driveway sealer...1/4 inch bc plywood for side 2 foot up ...3/4 electrical pvc for framing...covered that with corrugated plastic i bought 4 by 8 sheets from sign shop....use latex caulk and tech screws to hold it down....if u want to now more u will have to call

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-04-2017, 03:05 PM
I used 1/2 4ply for base...covered it all with water base driveway sealer...1/4 inch bc plywood for side 2 foot up ...3/4 electrical pvc for framing...covered that with corrugated plastic i bought 4 by 8 sheets from sign shop....use latex caulk and tech screws to hold it down....if u want to now more u will have to call

Those plastic sheets are ....." CORFAM " ......if you google it there are many varieties, thicknesses, etc. very very light but extremely strong ...... Mike :thumbup:

amelectricdavid
02-04-2017, 03:15 PM
Those plastic sheets are ....." CORFAM " ......if you google it there are many varieties, thicknesses, etc. very very light but extremely strong ...... Mike [emoji106]
I used same stuff they make the yard signs out of...15.00 for a 4 by 8 sheet...used full sheet on roof...the last 4 ft of back is covered in frp board...liked the extra strength on the back around the door area