PDA

View Full Version : cat bypass

daviszoo1
01-29-2017, 08:40 PM
Hello all you spyder lovers, any pro's or cons on installing a cat bypass with the original muffler? thanks for your comments.

rpatsh
01-29-2017, 09:31 PM
Hello all you spyder lovers, any pro's or cons on installing a cat bypass with the original muffler? thanks for your comments.

I just ordered my bypass pipe so I'll be watching this!

cptjam
01-29-2017, 11:00 PM
Lighter, better breathing, sounds good, cooler running. We see no cons, just pro!! Go for it!

Chupaca
01-29-2017, 11:28 PM
:agree: all on the problem side but you have to be happy with a bit louder...:thumbup:

Ex-Rocket
01-30-2017, 10:35 AM
For those that have installed the bypass pipe, who installed the baffle also? Just wondering if it is even needed or what is the benefit of installing the baffle also. Thanks

Devious56
01-30-2017, 10:51 AM
For those that have installed the bypass pipe, who installed the baffle also? Just wondering if it is even needed or what is the benefit of installing the baffle also. Thanks

I would have to say, that the baffle is not needed. While it makes it a bit louder, I thought it was a benefit, as it allowed me to hear the what the engine was doing better. It did lose a little low end power, but made up for it by having more mid-range, which is where most of ride, and it also gave me a couple of more miles per gallon. Either way you go will be beneficial, it is really your choice.

David

Pengwen
01-30-2017, 01:35 PM
I have the Lamonster bypass, with akrapovic exhaust... it sounds much throatier. I love it

2dogs
01-30-2017, 01:44 PM
I would have to say, that the baffle is not needed. While it makes it a bit louder, I thought it was a benefit, as it allowed me to hear the what the engine was doing better. It did lose a little low end power, but made up for it by having more mid-range, which is where most of ride, and it also gave me a couple of more miles per gallon. Either way you go will be beneficial, it is really your choice.

David

Did you lose low end power with or without the baffle? And, did you have more mid-range with or without the baffle? I'm guessing you experimented quite a bit with the baffle both in and out, is that correct?

Marker
01-30-2017, 02:53 PM
better low end power with baffle installed

2dogs
01-30-2017, 03:12 PM
better low end power with baffle installed

Thanks Marker. Do you have any knowledge of where on RPM scale the cat delete comes in and goes out, with and w/o the baffle? Most of my shift points are at or around 3k, depending on traffic.

PMK
01-30-2017, 04:35 PM
Thanks Marker. Do you have any knowledge of where on RPM scale the cat delete comes in and goes out, with and w/o the baffle? Most of my shift points are at or around 3k, depending on traffic.

Stock, the shift point is around 3000 to 3500.

With a Lamonster bypass pipe, no baffle and stock RT muffler, the bike pulls better and easier to a 4500 rpm shift point.

We have run the bypass pipe without baffle for a long time. The fuel logs indicate a miniscual increase in mpg. However, the bike pulls better into the mid. I was never one to run low 2000 rpm and expect the engine to pull the gear, so, we probably did lose some bottom.

Some of us like the different power output and sound, while others never enjoyed it and removed the bypass pipe.

2dogs
01-30-2017, 04:58 PM
Stock, the shift point is around 3000 to 3500.

With a Lamonster bypass pipe, no baffle and stock RT muffler, the bike pulls better and easier to a 4500 rpm shift point.

We have run the bypass pipe without baffle for a long time. The fuel logs indicate a miniscual increase in mpg. However, the bike pulls better into the mid. I was never one to run low 2000 rpm and expect the engine to pull the gear, so, we probably did lose some bottom.

Some of us like the different power output and sound, while others never enjoyed it and removed the bypass pipe.

This is some good information. Not many folks pay that much attention to performance issues. After I install my bypass pipe I suspect I'll be under my spyder more than once removing and replacing the baffle. It's welcome to have a little guidance before I begin the process.

daviszoo1
01-30-2017, 07:38 PM
thanks to all for responding, I did not mention that we have a 2015 rt limited. that was my concern how the triple responds to the cat bypass. thanks

kngfsh27
01-30-2017, 07:43 PM
I had the bypass pipe with the baffle running the stock muffler on my '14 RTL. After the install it ran really good without any flat spots in the rpm range. I will say that after running it 9000 miles the bike was a louder than when I first put it on.

Bob Denman
01-31-2017, 12:37 PM

PMK
02-01-2017, 09:26 AM

Yes, I do not like Cats or Snakes.

My Toyota Tacoma had cats too, but not anymore...

I don't like cats.

Bob Denman
02-01-2017, 10:11 AM
That almost sounds like the start of a "Dr. Seuss" story... :clap:

Gallam03
03-09-2017, 10:49 AM
Hey everyone. New spyder Rts owner here. So does anyone have any sound clips of the bypass and stock exhaust? I ran a search but I seem to be coming up empty handed.
Sounds like the bypass is the way to go for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpyderAnn01
03-09-2017, 12:52 PM
Hey everyone. New spyder Rts owner here. So does anyone have any sound clips of the bypass and stock exhaust? I ran a search but I seem to be coming up empty handed.
Sounds like the bypass is the way to go for sure.

What year is your RT? The sound of the V-twin is totally different than the 1330. I wish I could make my 1330 sound like the v-twin but I can't.

Gallam03
03-09-2017, 12:59 PM
I have a 2016 so I have the 1330.

Devious56
03-09-2017, 03:07 PM
What year is your RT? The sound of the V-twin is totally different than the 1330. I wish I could make my 1330 sound like the v-twin but I can't.

I started out with a stock muffler and cat delete pipe with no baffle. I liked it, it seemed to make the RT (a 2015 Limited with 1330 motor) a bit peppier, a little better gas milage, with a little more sound. But that was still a bit quiter than I wanted.. I purchased a custom built SS exhaust from Pit Bull Power Sports for a good bit less than an Ackropovic muffler, now have better performance, and it is not uncommon to get 44 mpg. The sound, well, you decide, here's a little clip with the RPM going over 4,000 rpm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pauVpEu3ZU

Bob Denman
03-10-2017, 06:12 PM
:clap: That's a nice sound; Thanks for posting it! :thumbup:

Devious56
03-10-2017, 07:05 PM
:clap: That's a nice sound; Thanks for posting it! :thumbup:

Hey Bob, I thought this was a newer thread, I think I've posted that video before. I did put a baffle in this one, when You got some RPM's up it had a sharp edge to the sound that got tireing affer a while. I have a good number of folks tell me it really sounds good. To me, it's ok, but depends on the helmet I'm wearing, full face, open face, or half helmet, they all make the muffle sound different. Glad you like it.

David

Wildrice
03-13-2017, 07:26 PM
I'm waiting for someone to master an easy dyno approach. I'm not sure the Cat bypass accomplishes anything. I've had a Motorcycle where someone gutted out the muffler for better free flow. It may help on the very top speed end but the bike had no power at lower rpm--couldn't shift into high gear below 45 mph, the engine needed the back pressure. I understand the concept or removing the Cat--but show mei linear proof on the dyno. Engines & power are a balanced system--increasing one component rarely helps.

Devious56
03-14-2017, 10:10 AM
I'm waiting for someone to master an easy dyno approach. I'm not sure the Cat bypass accomplishes anything. I've had a Motorcycle where someone gutted out the muffler for better free flow. It may help on the very top speed end but the bike had no power at lower rpm--couldn't shift into high gear below 45 mph, the engine needed the back pressure. I understand the concept or removing the Cat--but show mei linear proof on the dyno. Engines & power are a balanced system--increasing one component rarely helps.

If you remover the other muffler (some people call it a catalytic converter but it really isn't) and leave the secondary muffler, you still have all the back pressure you need for proper performance. The computer will reset itself for correct fuel management, and I think my
RT was a little peppier with the delete pipe added (prove me wrong) and I got better gas mileage, not to mention less heat. I will admit that I think I may have lost a little low end torque but, I was able to ride comfortably at 2,000 rpm at 35 mph as long as I didn't try to drag race some one with out down shifting. I was getting 34 to 38 mpg with the cat delete pipe compared to 32 to 36 with the stock set up. I say was, because I am now using a complete exhaust set up (Muffler and pipe) from Pit Bull Power sports and regularly get 44 / 45 mpg especially on group rides that are more sedate.

David

Gallam03
03-14-2017, 07:26 PM
Me personally it's the sound I'm after.

GA_Spyderman
03-20-2017, 08:03 AM
What does the cat removal do to the warranty?

sinner45
03-20-2017, 09:19 AM
Go to LAMONSTER website & go to second page under performance they have a sound clips you will like

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Gallam03
03-20-2017, 05:40 PM
I started out with a stock muffler and cat delete pipe with no baffle. I liked it, it seemed to make the RT (a 2015 Limited with 1330 motor) a bit peppier, a little better gas milage, with a little more sound. But that was still a bit quiter than I wanted.. I purchased a custom built SS exhaust from Pit Bull Power Sports for a good bit less than an Ackropovic muffler, now have better performance, and it is not uncommon to get 44 mpg. The sound, well, you decide, here's a little clip with the RPM going over 4,000 rpm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pauVpEu3ZU

So did you do anything else like a K&N and/or power commander? I'm trying to decide if I just need the cat bypass and a different exhaust. I already have the cat bypass, but I haven't installed it yet. I'd rather do everything at one time

Devious56
03-21-2017, 10:03 AM
I did not do anything other than install a cat delete pipe and do the procedure that recalibrates the computer, and my RT ran very nice. I did the same thing when I replaced the stock system with the exhaust I have on now, shown in an earlier post in a video trying to show the sound of it. I never noticed any actual gains or losses by doing this, but I do have better gas mileage than when it was stock. I can get around 45 mpg if I behave myself, and while I know of no dyno's that will give me a performance graph, seat of the pants says I can hit the rev limiter (8200 rpm) in low and second gear with no drop off in power (IE: it feels very linear ). Some one asked about proper shift points earlier, and that is a difficult question to answer, because it really depends on how you drive, and what you are looking for. I'm used to torquey engines and because of that I tend to short shift (shift early) and my RT seems happy to shift at 2,000 rpm as long as I'm not it a hurry, and I tend to get the 45 mpg number when I don't race around over 3,500 rpm. But my RT with the 1330 engine will shift and cruise, just about anywhere I want to. You can tell if the rpm is too low, because you can feel the vibration or shudder thru the seat of your pants, the rpm too high is almost impossible because of the rev limiter, but red line on the tach is around 7,800 or 8,000 rpm if you go by the change in the thickness of the while line that is on the face of tach showing the rpm. Hope this helps some of you out, or at least gives you another way to look at things. I'm an old guy, and have done a lot of racing ( cars, trucks, go karts and motorcycles,) on road and off, and you can take what if said or not, just enjoy your Spyder, I know I do.

David

Gallam03
03-21-2017, 10:15 AM
I did not do anything other than install a cat delete pipe and do the procedure that recalibrates the computer, and my RT ran very nice. I did the same thing when I replaced the stock system with the exhaust I have on now, shown in an earlier post in a video trying to show the sound of it. I never noticed any actual gains or losses by doing this, but I do have better gas mileage than when it was stock. I can get around 45 mpg if I behave myself, and while I know of no dyno's that will give me a performance graph, seat of the pants says I can hit the rev limiter (8200 rpm) in low and second gear with no drop off in power (IE: it feels very linear ). Some one asked about proper shift points earlier, and that is a difficult question to answer, because it really depends on how you drive, and what you are looking for. I'm used to torquey engines and because of that I tend to short shift (shift early) and my RT seems happy to shift at 2,000 rpm as long as I'm not it a hurry, and I tend to get the 45 mpg number when I don't race around over 3,500 rpm. But my RT with the 1330 engine will shift and cruise, just about anywhere I want to. You can tell if the rpm is too low, because you can feel the vibration or shudder thru the seat of your pants, the rpm too high is almost impossible because of the rev limiter, but red line on the tach is around 7,800 or 8,000 rpm if you go by the change in the thickness of the while line that is on the face of tach showing the rpm. Hope this helps some of you out, or at least gives you another way to look at things. I'm an old guy, and have done a lot of racing ( cars, trucks, go karts and motorcycles,) on road and off, and you can take what if said or not, just enjoy your Spyder, I know I do.

David

Thanks!! I really appreciate the feedback.