PDA

View Full Version : another transmission mode?

Smokes
01-29-2017, 04:39 AM
I’ve been having a think lately about the possibilties of a third mode of transmission for the F3.

First we already have a 6 speed manual - obvious really and possibly the best solution for someone who has just given up 2 wheels.

Secondly we have the semi automatic for those who can’t handle a clutch, or maybe for other reasons. Doesn't matter, it is what it is.

Thirdly, and think about this like I have, full automatic. No more button pushing to change gears. And why not? Everything you need is already there, all it needs is a firmware upgrade and an extra option in the preferences to select either semi or full auto.
What do you need for full auto operation? We already have a system that downshifts for you if you don’t. We need to automatically upshift when increasing speed, and the eco-mode already tells you when to upshift so why not feed that Eco upshift signal into the gear change system. Voila! Instant full auto with minimal software change.
Not that I want or need to do that for myself. Maybe I'm wrong but the possibility for full automatic operation seems to be already there with ZERO hardware change, and can be achieved simply by just tweaking the firmware.

Comments?

PMK
01-29-2017, 05:53 AM
I’ve been having a think lately about the possibilties of a third mode of transmission for the F3.

First we already have a 6 speed manual - obvious really and possibly the best solution for someone who has just given up 2 wheels.

Secondly we have the semi automatic for those who can’t handle a clutch, or maybe for other reasons. Doesn't matter, it is what it is.

Thirdly, and think about this like I have, full automatic. No more button pushing to change gears. And why not? Everything you need is already there, all it needs is a firmware upgrade and an extra option in the preferences to select either semi or full auto.
What do you need for full auto operation? We already have a system that downshifts for you if you don’t. We need to automatically upshift when increasing speed, and the eco-mode already tells you when to upshift so why not feed that Eco upshift signal into the gear change system. Voila! Instant full auto with minimal software change.
Not that I want or need to do that for myself. Maybe I'm wrong but the possibility for full automatic operation seems to be already there with ZERO hardware change, and can be achieved simply by just tweaking the firmware.

Comments?

Agree. Not that I want a fully automatic gearbox, but many times I wondered why Can Am did not exploit the system exactly as you mentioned. I also agree for minimal addional cost, the semi auto bikes could be equipped with a mode switch, allowing the owner / operator to select a preverence.

jcthorne
01-29-2017, 07:41 AM
Rotax already provides this to Aprilla. Its not like they don't know how, they just do not think the market wants it.

PrairieSpyder
01-29-2017, 09:44 AM
:welcome:

Bob Denman
01-29-2017, 09:59 AM
If you give everything to everybody, as soon as you bring your product to market: where are you going to go in the subsequent years? :dontknow:
You ALWAYS keep a few cards hidden.
Give them some time, and you might just see it! :thumbup:

Chupaca
01-29-2017, 10:02 AM
:welcome: you have now entered the "Wonder why zone" Honda had it in their old 750, though only a two speed, and it did not fare well in the market at the time. Things have changed as well as who rydes today. If it is as easy as that it may be worth a try if only as a special order...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
01-29-2017, 10:41 AM
They would need to either add (or refine!) a torque-sensing feature to the system, in order to provide the necessary information for proper upshifting. That's about it... :thumbup:
Downshifting is basically handled by monitoring just the engine rpms, and the use of the brakes; it wouldn't need any tinkering.

GaryTheBadger
01-31-2017, 11:45 AM
Fourth mode: No transmission, fully electric Spyder. I hope to live long enough to get one.

Road-Kill
01-31-2017, 12:43 PM
I never understood why people think that if someone wants auto/clutch-less its because they cant handle a clutch. I like the convenience of auto, like I like the safety of ABS and traction control and now for the first time in my life......3 wheels. I also like to ride with a GPS because I got tired of pulling over to read maps and using a grease marker on my windshield. Motorcycle Consumer News did a survey about 20 years ago asking every reader if their brand came in auto would they buy it......75% said yes, look up their archives.

With that off my chest........I think Spyders next phase will be truly auto but with the simplicity of auto downshift and a simple upshift button I can care less and would not consider a trade for many years to come. My thoughts.

ARtraveler
01-31-2017, 02:34 PM
:welcome: you have now entered the "Wonder why zone" Honda had it in their old 750, though only a two speed, and it did not fare well in the market at the time. Things have changed as well as who rydes today. If it is as easy as that it may be worth a try if only as a special order...:thumbup:

I had one of those 750 Hondamatics. At the time, it was the only motorcycle that I did not like. Stick it in drive and give the throttle a twist. If available now--not sure if my mind would change. Its out there. I think Honda has another version going.

Chupaca
01-31-2017, 03:23 PM
If I remember correctly you had to wait after you twisted the throttle. ...and the shift took forever to complete...lol

Bob Denman
01-31-2017, 03:33 PM
We had a CB 400A: it was... underwhelming. :shocked:

Grandpot
01-31-2017, 04:32 PM
I believe Honda has a DCT series that has an automatic.

Al Gully
01-31-2017, 11:59 PM
I believe Honda has a DCT series that has an automatic.
Yes they do, but you can also put it in the sport mode and use the paddle shifters like the SE6.
Thinking BRP will do this sooner rather than later.

Habib
02-01-2017, 10:52 AM
Rotax already provides this to Aprilla. Its not like they don't know how, they just do not think the market wants it.

Can't be that much of a problem to offer as an option, might be some challenged riders that would welcome it. Too bad if BRP did it though it would be out of range money wise.

Highwayman2013
02-01-2017, 11:36 PM

Honda has quite a few models with dual clutch transmissions. Even the new Africa Twin.

monkeyboymorton
02-02-2017, 06:05 AM
Honda has quite a few models with dual clutch transmissions. Even the new Africa Twin.

Yeah, will be intersting to see if BRP develop a dual clutch to go with their next generation power unit, whenever that comes along. Can't see any changes to the 1330/SE6 during it's lifespan.

wrb3004
02-02-2017, 08:49 AM
I had a Honda Rubicon ATV that had a switch on the handlebar to make it fully automatic or manual shift with a button. I hardly ever used the manual shift but it was there if I wanted. Wayne