PDA

View Full Version : need insight from any knee replacement riders.

Scotts8826
01-28-2017, 03:29 PM
I am scheduled for a total knee replacement on March 1st. I have planned a 3K mile trip with a buddy through North Carolina roads in late May. My doctor thinks That while I won't be fully recovered, I should be well enough to do this trip.

Any Spyder riders have this surgery? What should I anticipate for my recovery process? I'm 60 years old and in fairly good shape. Any advice while on the road with a sore knee?

JayD
01-28-2017, 03:32 PM
Good luck. Everybody heals different. It took me 6 months to get over my knee job. Keep it iced down and work hard through therapy.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

mpsicon
01-28-2017, 04:04 PM
I had my total knee done may of "15. It will be uncomfortable after a while, highway pegs will be a big help, but you will still need to stop and stretch. My personal issue was with how wide your legs are spread out due to the width of the spyder, my knee would start bothering me to the point I would not ride much longer. Some test rides before the trip is in order. I do highly recommend getting in as good physical shape as possible before the surgery. I threw caution to the wind and exercised as much as possible before the surgery, it hurt like hell but I feel my recovery went much better because of it. Good luck with your surgery.

Scotts8826
01-28-2017, 05:30 PM
Spyderfest in Springfield, MO is only a three hour trip from where I live. It would be two months out from my surgery but I'm thinking it might be a good test trip to see how I do and what adjustments would make the trip more comfortable.

Samson
01-28-2017, 06:34 PM
What a timely thread. I am having TKR on April 6th for the right and 11/6th for the left. I have discussed with approx 6 top knee surgeons and all have said with new advances in both technique and device you can expect 4 to 6 weeks and all should be back to normal. then about 8 months for your mind to completely forget you had a replacement. I have had several discussion with 2 docs who are using robotics and doing this as a outpatient operation.

Warlock
01-28-2017, 07:09 PM
I am scheduled for a total knee replacement on March 1st. I have planned a 3K mile trip with a buddy through North Carolina roads in late May. My doctor thinks That while I won't be fully recovered, I should be well enough to do this trip.

Any Spyder riders have this surgery? What should I anticipate for my recovery process? I'm 60 years old and in fairly good shape. Any advice while on the road with a sore knee?

Had both of mine done April of last year. I was riding my Spyder in 8 weeks. Use plenty of ice and don't cut the therapy short. No pain no gain. Make sure to have some cruising pegs to stretch the leg some. Don't try and lose weight before surgery. You will need that during recovery. With the pain meds your appetite will not be good.

David

Scotts8826
01-28-2017, 08:11 PM
Robotic surgery as an outpatient sounds fascinating. I'm looking at inpatient surgery on a Wednesday and hospital dismissal on Friday. I'm glad to positive comments about the operation.

CA Railwhale
01-29-2017, 01:17 AM
I had both done the same year. I think you will probably be OK,. but you might want to plan short stages with rests in between. Push your therapy, do more than the minimums the therapist wants, talk to him about limits. My replacements were done in my mid-fifties and my limiting factor was building up muscle strength. That won't be a big problem on a Spyder.

wyliec
01-29-2017, 08:25 AM
What a timely thread. I am having TKR on April 6th for the right and 11/6th for the left. I have discussed with approx 6 top knee surgeons and all have said with new advances in both technique and device you can expect 4 to 6 weeks and all should be back to normal. then about 8 months for your mind to completely forget you had a replacement. I have had several discussion with 2 docs who are using robotics and doing this as a outpatient operation.

Good luck with the outpatient surgery, if that is the way you go. I work with knee and hip patients, and very few are ready to go home the next day, after the normal inpatient surgery. But, those doctors performing the surgery as (robotic) outpatient must do a good screening of the patient, as not everyone is a good candidate. I'd have to guess here, and say the outpatient surgery is actually done so that the patient could be placed as an inpatient after surgery, if need be.

If you are thinking of outpatient surgery, have you given any thought to having both knees done at the same time, as an inpatient?

To the OP, good luck. You've been given some good advice; so, I won't repeat it.

5-0 spyder
02-02-2017, 09:16 PM
I had a total knee replacement in July of 2014 on my right knee. At the time I had a 2012 RT with aftermarket floorboards. I tried to get back on my Spyder 6 weeks later. Unfortunately I couldn't bend my knee enough to safely work the brake pedal. I was finally able to ride closer to 10 weeks after my surgery. I started out riding to physical therapy which was a about 3 miles from my house. Stop and go traffic was a little tricky, the knee was still a little swollen and would be for a few months, but as time went on and I continued to work the knee in therapy I didn't have any major issues. It would get a little stiff on long rides but nothing a short stop or stretching my leg out didn't help. As for driving a car, I was able to drive in 6 weeks.

doug1950
02-03-2017, 02:00 PM
Had my right knee replace 3 /12 years ago .Week after rode my 2o12 rt but need help getting on for knee would not bend enough but I rode from then on . Good luck oooooooooooooooo ya had floor boards to rest my feet on

Motorcycledave
02-04-2017, 12:12 PM
I have 2 knee replacements, IF YOU DO THE PHYSICAL THERAPY !!!! you will be better than new,
if you try and skip the physical therapy you will be lucky if you can walk.
DO the PT. then you will be out there wondering why you didn't do your knees long ago.
Dave
PS Ride Safe and have a fun trip

KosherKid
02-06-2017, 10:10 AM
I had my right knee done in Feb 2016. What everyone else said. Do the PT, use a lot of ice, etc. I rode the Spyder a short distance after 2 weeks, was able to drive my small car in three, and back to work in four. Biggest problem was getting the knee to bend enough for each vehicle. That took a cargo strap and a lot of pulling during rehab. You'll be fine if you push yourself with the rehab. No pain, no gain. Good luck.