PDA

View Full Version : Engine Coolant

kalavera
04-12-2009, 02:34 PM
While I had my panels off, I decided to look around. I couldn't see the level of engine coolant from the front. So I looked from the left side with the lower and upper panel removed. I noticed my engine coolant was near the minimum.

My question is can I use the same engine coolant I use for my car? I wasnt sure and found in the book that said, BRP Premixed Coolant (P/N 219 700 362) or coolant specifically designed for aluminum engines.

Huh? I didnt know there was a difference until I read that. So, what shall I use?

Dudley
04-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Yes there is a difference in coolants. I found out the hard way. Years ago when my son's GM car needed some coolant I told him to get the premix. Well, I didn't know that the GM had that yellow/gold coolant and it did not mix with the premix. End result, a brown sludge that was near impossible to clean out of the engine. So, to be safe, when I need coolant in the Spyder I will go to dealer.

Kariblay
04-12-2009, 02:53 PM
My question is can I use the same engine coolant I use for my car? I wasnt sure and found in the book that said, BRP Premixed Coolant (P/N 219 700 362) or coolant specifically designed for aluminum engines.

Huh? I didnt know there was a difference until I read that. So, what shall I use?

Try searching this forum...answers are aplenty:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9313&highlight=coolant

;)

hondaman
04-12-2009, 03:44 PM
I mixed coolant in my old car to see what might happen.I checked for leaks and none.mixed the coolant and the waterpump leaked in 1 week.

kalavera
04-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Went to one of my Local dealers and they sold me HP coolant

http://www.hondapartsworld.com/hpcoolantpremix.aspx

They told me thats what they use when servicing the spyder. Is this right?

kalavera
04-16-2009, 08:46 AM
well I did some quick reading on the stuff.
HP Coolant looks like it would work.
If someone knows otherwise please tell me.
I am about to add it to the bike before riding today.

trldncr
04-16-2009, 08:49 PM
While I had my panels off, I decided to look around. I couldn't see the level of engine coolant from the front. So I looked from the left side with the lower and upper panel removed. I noticed my engine coolant was near the minimum.

50/50 mix any aluminum compatible which is just about all of them nowadays. Cars and trucks all have some aluminum components coolant circulates though. Brp sells pre mix because it just easier for everyone, Prestone does too.