PDA

View Full Version : Starter Lagging

SteveandBelinda
01-25-2017, 01:02 PM
I was just wondering something. When I start my 2010 RT, it starts real quick with a push of the button. I bought a 2014 RT back in October, and I noticed that it didn't start REAL QUICK like 2010. I mentioned it to the person that I had check it out. Left it with dealer for a couple of days while he did Laser Alignment and a check out and update on the computer. I mentioned the battery, and he put on charger till I picked it up a week later, and said that riding it from Arkansas to Michigan would surely charge it back up to tip top shape.
Had dealer here in Michigan do some things to the bike and asked him to listen to me start it up. He said to put on charger for a few days , that sometimes they just don't get that full charge.
The thing still somewhat hesitates when I first push the button. Kind of slow for a few turns over , then starts fast. Gotta be something wrong. Any suggestions to remedy this problem?

IGETAROUND
01-25-2017, 06:07 PM
Steve,

Those land yachts that you drive have a fair amount of parasitic drain on their batteries. Enough so that if you are not riding 80-100 miles every day their batteries get challenged when first starting to spin the motor over. If you don't keep it on a maintainer when it's not being ridden you might consider mending your errant ways!!!!

Others on here can give you the numbers of what your battery should be producing @ rest and while running. You could pull your battery and take it to Batteries + and they will do a free load test for you and can tell you whether you need a top off charge before puting it on a maintainer.

Hope this helps, sorry I didn't make it Saturday to the get together in Lansing.

Al

Chupaca
01-25-2017, 06:36 PM
Do hope they checked all connections to power and to ground. Don't know how the 1330 normally starts but like cars some crank and some rip...see with buddies or demos how they start....:thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-25-2017, 07:00 PM
Deanna777 & I both have 2014 RT's that were purchased 3 mos. apart ..... I keep mine on a maintainer 24/7, I'm not sure She does the same ..... Hers starts instantly EVERY TIME ...... mine takes 2-3 seconds ...... imho Her battery was properly charged before She bought it ..... mine wasn't ......... In fact I had a problem when I drove it home from Illinois right after I bought it :banghead::banghead::banghead: ....!!!! . Mike :thumbup:

Deanna777
01-25-2017, 07:30 PM
Deanna777 & I both have 2014 RT's that were purchased 3 mos. apart ..... I keep mine on a maintainer 24/7, I'm not sure She does the same ..... Hers starts instantly EVERY TIME ...... mine takes 2-3 seconds ...... imho Her battery was properly charged before She bought it ..... mine wasn't ......... In fact I had a problem when I drove it home from Illinois right after I bought it :banghead::banghead::banghead: ....!!!! . Mike :thumbup: Yes, (2014RTS-SE6 ) mine does start instantly "EVERY TIME". Also, it is on a maintainer when it is in hibernation( Oct. to April). Deanna

pegasus1300
01-25-2017, 07:34 PM
Mike's comment about being properly charged before entering service is well founded. In order for a new battery to function at full capacity it must be charged all the way. To put it into service straight out of the box is to limit it's service charge and life. Your vehicle charging system will not charge it all the way because there is a draw while there is an input.

If your Spyder sits for awhile or doesn't get ridden very far at one time your battery may drain down after awhile,so it is a good practice to put it on a battery tender at the end of the day.

Another question to ask your self might be,is this battery as strong as it should be or has age/neglect bringing it to the end of its life. This is where the testing at Batteries+ comes in.They can tell you how strong your battery is with a load test. This will show how strong and how much stamina your battery has.

Good luck with your battery/starting.

Deanna777
01-25-2017, 07:37 PM
When my spyder is hibernation ( from Oct. to April) it is on a maintainer. I use the Deltran Battery Tender Jr. 12volt 750mA, Spark Proof, Input: 115VAC @ 60HZ Output: 12 Vdc @ 750 mA Reverse proof! *** Switches Automatically from Charge to Float! ***.

I have had the Deltran Battery Tender Jr. for 5years, and no problems. I used on it my 2012RTS-SE5. Deanna

Deanna777
01-26-2017, 12:20 PM
Deanna777 & I both have 2014 RT's that were purchased 3 mos. apart ..... I keep mine on a maintainer 24/7, I'm not sure She does the same ..... Hers starts instantly EVERY TIME ...... mine takes 2-3 seconds ...... imho Her battery was properly charged before She bought it ..... mine wasn't ......... In fact I had a problem when I drove it home from Illinois right after I bought it :banghead::banghead::banghead: ....!!!! . Mike :thumbup:Mike, Thanks for the post. I keep mine on the maintainer when it is in hibernation. Deanna

merlot
01-27-2017, 05:59 AM
hi steve
i have the same feelings when i start my 2014:yikes:
i asked the po if there was something wrong with it:(
but there is nothing wrong....it just starts lazy
prob spoilt with the 2013 which spun up instantly
my battery is always topped up btw
imho nothing to worry about (as long as you have batt tender):ohyea:
russ

SteveandBelinda
01-28-2017, 09:41 PM
Yep, on Battery Tender Jr. for the last 2 months. I thought that it would charge up and start instantly when I drove it from Arkansas to Michigan, but nope, still starts the same. Only thing that I can add to this is that I believe that the owner had died, and the bike sat for 8 months, only being started frequently by a relative, so maybe I should pull it out and take to batteries+. Will the battery just slide out with the cables unhooked? May be a good time to fish my trailer wires through where the hot and cold come through the Frunk, and what happens to the system where cables are disconnected? Any reseting of anything that I should know about?

IGETAROUND
01-28-2017, 11:22 PM
Any reseting of anything that I should know about? Clock

SteveandBelinda
01-29-2017, 12:55 AM
That should be simple enough.

Any reseting of anything that I should know about? Clock