PDA

View Full Version : Sport mode and the passenger seat switch

z_light11
01-23-2017, 09:06 PM
Does anyone know if the "sport" mode from the Daytona model can be uploaded into an F3-S from a previous year?

What does the switch under the passenger seat actually do? Is it engaged at all times if the passenger seat is installed, and then dis-engaged if you have the cowl installed?

Roadster Renovations
01-23-2017, 09:56 PM
Does anyone know if the "sport" mode from the Daytona model can be uploaded into an F3-S from a previous year?

What does the switch under the passenger seat actually do? Is it engaged at all times if the passenger seat is installed, and then dis-engaged if you have the cowl installed?

Not sure about the first part, but I noticed a HP drop with the seat on, even without a passenger. Looking closer I found that the disk is depressed if the passenger seat is on and the cowl has avoid area where it does not depress. Haven't found anything in writing, but I think when the seat is on they reduce power output for safety.

monkeyboymorton
01-24-2017, 07:53 AM
Not sure about the first part, but I noticed a HP drop with the seat on, even without a passenger. Looking closer I found that the disk is depressed if the passenger seat is on and the cowl has avoid area where it does not depress. Haven't found anything in writing, but I think when the seat is on they reduce power output for safety.

This appears to differ depending on which model you have. The seat on the Daytona activtaes the switch all the time. Presumably to disable sport mode when the bike will have 2 people on.

The passenger seat on the normal F3 does not activitae the switch until enough weight is on the seat. My Oxford bag does not activate it, but a passenger does.

On earlier model F3s the pillion switch changes some settings in the stability control - I posted the pages form the shop manual in this thread:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?100747-Daytona-500-F3

It doesn't say it reduces horsepower, but it does reduce paramters for lateral acceleration and Yaw. So it shouldn't affect power in a straight line with no wheelspin. But get any wheelspin or steering angle on and it will reduce power more than normal.

What we really need is a side by side comparison of a Daytona and a previous model rear seat / pillion switch to see how they differ. Could be the switch is set to be more sensitive or the bottom of the seat is different. I can't oblige as I don't know anyone else with an F3, let alone a Daytona.