PDA

View Full Version : SM5 or SE5

Questions
04-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Hello

Read quite a few negative remarks on the SE5 here in the forum. So I am asking for suggestion as to which one to buy. I am a new rider with no experience on a bike so the SE5 will be more easy for me, but don't really want to be going to the dealer every 600 miles. Any insight will be appreciated. Thanks

Rando
04-11-2009, 07:53 PM
If I had to do it again, I would get the SE5. Not all owners are having issues. Get one and ride it like you stole it!

SpyderByter
04-11-2009, 07:56 PM
IMO, a clutch always gives you more control, car or bike.

On the Spyder, it is nice to be able to just pull in the clutch and coast to a stoplight, rather than having the machine downshift for you. Also you will find more control going around corners. With the auto, your only option is to apply throttle or let off, which can be jerky. A clutch will allow you to cluth the power in thru the corner. Try both at the dealer, thats what I did before I bought. I never had an auto bike, and was not impressed with the feel of it.

The Spyder is a great machine to learn a clutch on if you never had a manual bike, because even if you mess up and stall, you wont tip.

Good luck

Firefly
04-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Hello

Read quite a few negative remarks on the SE5 here in the forum. So I am asking for suggestion as to which one to buy. I am a new rider with no experience on a bike so the SE5 will be more easy for me, but don't really want to be going to the dealer every 600 miles. Any insight will be appreciated. Thanks

A few questions:

Are you very mechanicaly inclined?

I find mechanicaly inclined people tend to take to using a clutch fairly easy.

Have you driven a stick shift car?

Same principal - helps if you are profecient on a stick shift car.

Are you male or female?

Men tend to take to using the clutch a bit easier than the ladies do (no offense ladies!), and usually have ample hand strength for the clutch.

Some people find using a clutch to be tiring or a pain - I actually like shifting. To me it's just natural, of course I've been riding bikes since I was 12.

The majority of SE5 owners are not having big problems, but there does seem to be issues that are unique to the SE5 as it has more complex shifting mechanisms.

To me it wouldn't be worth the extra money and the possible troubles with the auto-shift.

Whatever you do - get the BEST extended warranty so you're covered!

Good luck!

DynamoBT
04-11-2009, 08:00 PM
In the short time I've ridden a Spyder I loved the SM5 I took on the test ride. In the even shorter time I rode the SE5, I hated it.

I agree that if you want to learn the SM5 would be very straight forward. In the end I don't think you can go wrong with whatever you feel most comfortable with. Ride both. You choose.

czdaryle
04-11-2009, 08:09 PM
This is my second year with the spyder and my first bike. I was a little nervous with the clutch but it is super easy and makes it a lot more fun to ride. I would suggest the manual, nothing like going threw all the gears:2thumbs:

SpyderByter
04-11-2009, 09:42 PM
A few questions:

Are you male or female?

Men tend to take to using the clutch a bit easier than the ladies do (no offense ladies!), and usually have ample hand strength for the clutch.

Some people find using a clutch to be tiring or a pain - I actually like shifting. To me it's just natural, of course I've been riding bikes since I was 12.

The majority of SE5 owners are not having big problems, but there does seem to be issues that are unique to the SE5 as it has more complex shifting mechanisms.

To me it wouldn't be worth the extra money and the possible troubles with the auto-shift.

Whatever you do - get the BEST extended warranty so you're covered!

Good luck!

hoo boy, you are walking on dangerous ground there with the female using the clutch remark! The last guy who made a comment like that got flamed real bad. (I think it was Road Dog and his woman's shopping club remark) I recently rode with a petite young lady who drives a manual, and I would not want to take her on head to head. She can handle the bike, and got a real need 4 speed. Good luck buddy, I can't wait to read the replies.....

That being said, hydro clutches dont require too much strength, and if they can turn the Spyder, I don't see a problem pulling the clutch unless it a an issue of smaller hands. Thats where most people find the clutching problem and a piazzo (sp) lever helps.

Good advice on the warranty, no matter if you choose the SM or SE, both have some complicated and expensive electronics. I also agree, why spend the extra for an auto unless you really feel you need it. I think it is an extra grand, and to me you give up control.

Cundiffla
04-11-2009, 10:03 PM
I have the SE5, I think its the greatest machine. I orignally bought the SE5 thinking my wife would get hers Motorcycle License, she states after I got "no it is your Toy".

After seeing a few people with the SM5 and compared the milage and the rear wheel treads seems on the SM5 has more wear then mine, now I compared with three different SM5 with the about same amount of miles which now I have a little over 6200 miles on my a friend SM5 has 5900 miles and I did see quite a difference.

He stated he like to burn rubber every now and then. The SE5 is almost impossible to burn rubber. I only burned rubber once with a little help "sand" on the rode. I have no idea how much the rear tire cost "YET" and will hesitate looking forward to that day. Something you might want to look into.

I wouldn't trade mine for the world and yes I do ride my every chance I get! no matter which one you get you'll have a blast with either one :2thumbs: !!!!!

-Larry :spyder:

Capt John
04-11-2009, 10:04 PM
I had never owned a MC. I had Honda 3 wheelers with a centrifical (auto)clutch. I got the SM5. The salesman told me this dealership would not sell a SE5 until BRP had all the bugs worked out. I have since learned this dealership did sell one. The service tech told me when it was sold. He was glad it went out of state. No problems so far with my Spyder. I right at 3000 miles and I loved every one of them.

aka1004
04-11-2009, 10:23 PM
i do own a se5
i used to ride 2 wheeler
i chose se5 over sm5 for convenience over little more fun
i did not wanted to deal with clutch and i am glad i got a se5
when i come to a stop at a light i dont have to hold on to clutch or leave it in neutral and fumble to put it in gear when the light changes and i am not paying attention:p. i just leave it 1st and when light changes i just go.
se5 does not mess up my shoes neither :D
i take corners very hard and i can easily change gear just as i enter the turn, probably quicker than a sm5.

now this issue is just a personal preference and as far as problem with se5, i know you are looking to get a used 08 so when you find one ask the seller if he had tranny problem and if you can check with brp. meet him at a dealer they can tell you whether that spyder had a tranny issue as all service is recorded.

bone crusher
04-11-2009, 10:58 PM
Oh, come on, let's have fun here with this topic (oh boy)...

Get the SM5...everyone knows that manual transmissions of any kind keep you more in touch with the machine...more responsive and more fun...

And, at this time, the SM5s do have less problems, although I expect within a year or two the repair records will get closer...there's more to go wrong with a SE5 at this time...period...sure, not everyone is having problems, but let the dealerships clarify the repair record with you. I'm sure BRP will get it better soon...they can't afford not to.

They're both great but part of the joy of a motorcycle (even with 3 wheels) is to have the ability to hit the clutch and pop the gears...be one with the machine...nothing beats the sharp acceleration that requires the 'perfect' timing between hand and foot!

Either way you go, you'll have a blast...as everyone here knows, I prefer the SM5...as of now, more time on the road and less in the shop...

Oh, and get Millennium Yellow...it's faster...hehe!
;)

Oh yeah, get the BEST warranty when you buy the bike, whichever one you get...cheaper when you initially purchase the bike...

Dudley
04-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Having ridden motorcycles since 1966, I was ready for the ease of the SE5. I tested both the SE and SM. Drove the SM about 100 miles and the SE about 150 miles. I find that either one shifts well. After a little time with the SE5 (7300 miles), I think that I can shift faster than any SM up or down. It is a lot easier to shift when all it takes is either your finger or your thumb. When up-shifting, just keep opening your throttle as you shift. One operation only. No need to pull the clutch, close your throttle, shift with your toe, and then open the throttle again. When going into a curve, pull up the shifter any time you want a lower gear with your finger, no need to do anything else. No clutch, no toe action, no unnecessary throttle action. Couldn't ask for anything easier. My wife, having only ridden sitting behind me over the years took to handling the Spyder with no problems. No, she is not ready to go alone yet, but she is learning. We have had no issues with ours. Got the transmission and parking brake "fix" because they were free. Transmission got better, parking brake worse. I "fixed" the parking brake myself afterwards. Now works flawlessly. Whatever choice you make, I believe you will be a happy Spyder ryder!

jimclarkf1
04-11-2009, 11:57 PM
I aways enjoyed the clutch, and I drive a package car for UPS, I never basicaly rode on, or drove a bike before, last Sept. I bought my Sm5 on ebay, never had a dealer in Omaha yet, I was scared, but it keeps getting more easy, but Iam sure if you get a Se5, without problems you will enjoy it. Just get use to a lot of people looking and asking you questions:yikes:

jeuchler
04-12-2009, 04:17 AM
...When up-shifting, just keep opening your throttle as you shift. One operation only. No need to pull the clutch, close your throttle, shift with your toe, and then open the throttle again....

Ha!

You remind me of when my father bought his first automatic transmission car in 1970, and he would brake with his left foot. When I asked him why he did that way, he had replied, "Oh, it's so much trouble your way: lift your right foot, move it all the way over to the brake pedal, now push it back down...besides, I can save 1/20 of a second braking or pulling away from a stop light." :thumbup:

Degaman
04-12-2009, 07:26 AM
He stated he like to burn rubber every now and then. The SE5 is almost impossible to burn rubber. I only burned rubber once with a little help "sand" on the rode. I have no idea how much the rear tire cost "YET" and will hesitate looking forward to that day. Something you might want to look into.

You might want to have your machine checked out. I have smoked the rear almost all the way through first and then some in second with my SE5.

Now that the GPS replacement seems to have cured my shifting problems, I don't see any advantage of a manual clutch (except to save some dinero).

Magic Man
04-12-2009, 07:52 AM
You might want to have your machine checked out. I have smoked the rear almost all the way through first and then some in second with my SE5.

Our SE5 will smoke the rear tire so easy, it's almost hard not to do it at every light.:yes:

Of course that's only what I have heard, as I would never do anything like that myself. :rolleyes: :shocked: LOL

MM

NancysToy
04-12-2009, 08:05 AM
As you can see, you asked a very controversial question. In the end, you have to make this decision for yourself. My wife had to do the same. She had the advantage of having a stick shift in her 63 Falcon convertible, so knew about manual transmissions. Her only bike experience was with an auto clutch, however. In addition, she is small, with tiny, weak hands. We had read one early review that said the Spyder clutch was vacuum assisted. I don't know if that's true, but it certainly is much easier to pull with the engine running. If you try it at the dealer, have them start the engine before you decide it is too stiff. My wife did exactly that (winter and we couldn't take a demo ride), and she decided to go manual. She bought one of those hand exercizer levers at the sporting goods store, and worked on her grip for a while before her MSF course. Took the course on a standard motorcycle. They spend a lot of time working on getting a feel for the clutch friction point. The Spyder operator's manual has training exercises that do the same, and she did her fair share of parking lot time before hitting the road. Don't be intimidated by the clutch. Most people can handle it with just a little practice. Just try both models and make the choice that suits you best.
-Scotty

Lamonster
04-12-2009, 08:45 AM
I think it's the luck of the draw on the SE5's.:dontknow: I love my SM5 but if they would have had a SE back when I ordered mine that's what I would have bought. My Boss Hoss was a auto and my KFX700 is a auto and once you get use to riding a auto you realize how nice it is especially when you're stuck in traffic.:doorag: Either way I think you'll love the Spyder.

SpyderCrazy
04-12-2009, 09:03 AM
:D My husband and I both have burned rubber numerous times on our SE-5's. We love our SE-5's.

I would suggest you get the SE-5. My husband has almost 5800 miles on his. I have about 4700 on mine. The only thing we have had to have fixed/adjusted on ours so far has been the parking brake.

If we had to do it over again, we would still buy SE-5's.

:2thumbs:

captainryder
04-12-2009, 09:15 AM
I don't know if it's lack of buyers or BRP's subtle way to tell us that they want the SE5 to be the main model. But here in Kansas City, there are few, new SM5 available, and all their showrooms have all colors of SE5.

And Moon Silver is faster, especially like last Friday night when the moon was full..... really fast then !:2thumbs:

bone crusher
04-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Bah hum-bug...if you want the SE5, just get a Miata...
:D

aka1004
04-12-2009, 10:06 AM
I have the SE5, I think its the greatest machine. I orignally bought the SE5 thinking my wife would get hers Motorcycle License, she states after I got "no it is your Toy".

After seeing a few people with the SM5 and compared the milage and the rear wheel treads seems on the SM5 has more wear then mine, now I compared with three different SM5 with the about same amount of miles which now I have a little over 6200 miles on my a friend SM5 has 5900 miles and I did see quite a difference.

I wouldn't trade mine for the world and yes I do ride my every chance I get! no matter which one you get you'll have a blast with either one :2thumbs: !!!!!

WHAT?
i burned so much rubber on my se5 i needed new rear tires by mile 7000

bone crusher
04-12-2009, 01:43 PM
I don't know if it's lack of buyers or BRP's subtle way to tell us that they want the SE5 to be the main model. But here in Kansas City, there are few, new SM5 available, and all their showrooms have all colors of SE5.

And Moon Silver is faster, especially like last Friday night when the moon was full..... really fast then !:2thumbs:

That's because people in Kansas City don't have full function and can't use their hands and feet at the same time!

Right atcha!
:yes:

Tom in NM
04-12-2009, 01:56 PM
After driving the local dealers crazy by testing manual vs. electronic, I am a new SE5 owner. I am a long-time motorcycle rider and a clutch is as automatic to me as breathing.
The big reason for going with the SE5 was my body's position - I could sit more comfortably with more butt options when I didn't have to be on call with my shifting foot and clutch hand. I am sure I would have adjusted, but I really liked the comfort flexibility. ( and not getting your left toe scuffed and dirty is pretty spiffy too )
If you are new to clutches and motorcycles, be prepared for some muscle fatigue in the hands and forearms. Both the clutch and the throttle call for the use and development of different muscles - not strength, but endurance and coordination. Depending on how much you ride, it may take a couple of weeks for that to develop.
Most everyone calls the SE5 an "automatic", but to me it is more Electronic Assisted. You still listen to the engine and "feel" the RPMs and combine that with your ride path and road conditions to decide WHEN to shift and if you are going to shift UP or DOWN. For most people, doing this is easy and "automatic".
One thing I miss on the SE5 is that 'thing' that motorcycle and SM5 riders do when they are at a stop; that " vroooom---vroooom---vroooom " engine revving with the clutch is disengaged. Yes, I could shift into Neutral and do it, but I found it is just not the same.
The other thing I miss goes to the heart of motorcycle riding, a feeling like dancing. On a motorcycle, both your hands and both your feet are working in a intricate 'dance' and movements with the bike. Your hands are working the clutch and throttle and your feet are working the shift and brake to the 'tune' of the engine. There is a a lot of rider activity and synchronization going on. All of your hands and feet are engaged and coordinated, and your body is in 'balance'. When that becomes natural, to me, it is like a wonderful dance between you, the bike, and the road. It feels sooooooo good. To me, the SM5 has 75% of this interaction, while the SE5 has around 50%. I think this difference between motorcycles and Spyders is one of those things that some long-time motorcyclists find "lacking" when they try one.
BUT, for me, the Spyder has added new elements to the dance and I find that I am more aware of the road and world around me and I can enjoy them more. Trade-off or Enhancement? For me it has become a wonderful enhancement of the riding experience. I am riding my motorcycle less and less. I have no regrets on getting the SE5 over the SM5.
You have a tough decision, being a new rider. I think the SE5 is faster and easier to master, though the SM5 will give you a more traditional riding experience and sensations. It is a very personal decision you get to make for yourself.
As far as SE5 reliability, until all the numbers come out, who (besides BRP) really knows? We humans tend to give a lot more attention and weight to the bad stories we hear than the "business as usual" ones - it seems to be how we are wired. The SE5 is more mechanically complex than the SM5, but it is my impression that the weakest link is the rider; machines do fail, but it is usually the rider that is the critical point of failure. Practice, pay attention, use good judgement, follow directions, perform all maintenance, get a warranty, and most importantly - ENJOY!

There is a whole new world out here! I hope to see you on the road.

Tom

Dudley
04-12-2009, 02:02 PM
After driving the local dealers crazy by testing manual vs. electronic, I am a new SE5 owner. I am a long-time motorcycle rider and a clutch is as automatic to me as breathing.
The big reason for going with the SE5 was my body's position - I could sit more comfortably with more butt options when I didn't have to be on call with my shifting foot and clutch hand. I am sure I would have adjusted, but I really liked the comfort flexibility. ( and not getting your left toe scuffed and dirty is pretty spiffy too )
If you are new to clutches and motorcycles, be prepared for some muscle fatigue in the hands and forearms. Both the clutch and the throttle call for the use and development of different muscles - not strength, but endurance and coordination. Depending on how much you ride, it may take a couple of weeks for that to develop.
Most everyone calls the SE5 an "automatic", but to me it is more Electronic Assisted. You still listen to the engine and "feel" the RPMs and combine that with your ride path and road conditions to decide WHEN to shift and if you are going to shift UP or DOWN. For most people, doing this is easy and "automatic".
One thing I miss on the SE5 is that 'thing' that motorcycle and SM5 riders do when they are at a stop; that " vroooom---vroooom---vroooom " engine revving with the clutch is disengaged. Yes, I could shift into Neutral and do it, but I found it is just not the same.
The other thing I miss goes to the heart of motorcycle riding, a feeling like dancing. On a motorcycle, both your hands and both your feet are working in a intricate 'dance' and movements with the bike. Your hands are working the clutch and throttle and your feet are working the shift and brake to the 'tune' of the engine. There is a a lot of rider activity and synchronization going on. All of your hands and feet are engaged and coordinated, and your body is in 'balance'. When that becomes natural, to me, it is like a wonderful dance between you, the bike, and the road. It feels sooooooo good. To me, the SM5 has 75% of this interaction, while the SE5 has around 50%. I think this difference between motorcycles and Spyders is one of those things that some long-time motorcyclists find "lacking" when they try one.
BUT, for me, the Spyder has added new elements to the dance and I find that I am more aware of the road and world around me and I can enjoy them more. Trade-off or Enhancement? For me it has become a wonderful enhancement of the riding experience. I am riding my motorcycle less and less. I have no regrets on getting the SE5 over the SM5.
You have a tough decision, being a new rider. I think the SE5 is faster and easier to master, though the SM5 will give you a more traditional riding experience and sensations. It is a very personal decision you get to make for yourself.
As far as SE5 reliability, until all the numbers come out, who (besides BRP) really knows? We humans tend to give a lot more attention and weight to the bad stories we hear than the "business as usual" ones - it seems to be how we are wired. The SE5 is more mechanically complex than the SM5, but it is my impression that the weakest link is the rider; machines do fail, but it is usually the rider that is the critical point of failure. Practice, pay attention, use good judgement, follow directions, perform all maintenance, get a warranty, and most importantly - ENJOY!

There is a whole new world out here! I hope to see you on the road.

Tom

As an SE5 owner with 7300 miles I agree with all your points 100%. Hope your Spyder gives you thousands of happy miles!

krb1945
04-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Well I will be picking up my SO's new red SE5:shemademe_smilie:... really it is a new toy for me :ohyea:she just doesn't realize it. I rode the SE5 and it is fantastic :yes:except for what I perceive to be overly sensitive steering assist. Maybe there is a way to retard it so it is not overly active that I don't know yet. I haven't picked up the machine or manual yet. It could be that it is overly sensitive to me because I'm used to riding two wheels.a

Anyway I will pick it up the middle of the week. should I have gotten the manual shift for her?

Smylinacha
04-12-2009, 03:38 PM
hoo boy, you are walking on dangerous ground there with the female using the clutch remark! The last guy who made a comment like that got flamed real bad. (I think it was Road Dog and his woman's shopping club remark) I recently rode with a petite young lady who drives a manual, and I would not want to take her on head to head. She can handle the bike, and got a real need 4 speed. Good luck buddy, I can't wait to read the replies.....

That being said, hydro clutches dont require too much strength, and if they can turn the Spyder, I don't see a problem pulling the clutch unless it a an issue of smaller hands. Thats where most people find the clutching problem and a piazzo (sp) lever helps.

Good advice on the warranty, no matter if you choose the SM or SE, both have some complicated and expensive electronics. I also agree, why spend the extra for an auto unless you really feel you need it. I think it is an extra grand, and to me you give up control.

Only a need for speed in the straights! If the law ain't around then go for it - that's what I say!:clap::clap::clap:

Smylinacha
04-12-2009, 03:44 PM
I have an SM5. I've always had mostly standard cars too. Well not my Charger but I can paddle shift if I want.

I don't know what it's like to ride the SE5 so I can't have an opinion on which :f_spider: is better but I've always felt (even with cars) that if it's manual, I have more control over how I ride.

And with SM5's you downshift to a stop - just pulling in a clutch a few times, it's easy. Or you can just pull the clutch in and hold it there while you clunk down back into 1st but that's no fun!

Just my 2 cents.:doorag:

Don in E Texas
04-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Well, I will be picking up my SO's new red SE5:shemademe_smilie:

welcome:2thumbs:

You'll love that turbo-charged engine in the Red model Spyder (our little secret :ohyea: )

Ride safe.

don

nyfdtsdemt
04-12-2009, 03:56 PM
like the control factor

SE5 great bike...
but i love my clutch!

bone crusher
04-12-2009, 04:07 PM
I have an SM5. I've always had mostly standard cars too. Well not my Charger but I can paddle shift if I want.

I don't know what it's like to ride the SE5 so I can't have an opinion on which :f_spider: is better but I've always felt (even with cars) that if it's manual, I have more control over how I ride.

And with SM5's you downshift to a stop - just pulling in a clutch a few times, it's easy. Or you can just pull the clutch in and hold it there while you clunk down back into 1st but that's no fun!

Just my 2 cents.:doorag:

:agree:

NancysToy
04-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Well I will be picking up my SO's new red SE5:shemademe_smilie:... really it is a new toy for me :ohyea:she just doesn't realize it. I rode the SE5 and it is fantastic :yes:except for what I perceive to be overly sensitive steering assist. Maybe there is a way to retard it so it is not overly active that I don't know yet. I haven't picked up the machine or manual yet. It could be that it is overly sensitive to me because I'm used to riding two wheels.a

Anyway I will pick it up the middle of the week. To tell me if I should have gotten the manual shift.
You will get used to this feeling. Relax your grips on the bars and it helps tremendously. All of us two-wheelers have seemed to experience this feeling. You will also get used to how much weight to shift by leaning or moving on the seat pretty fast. Don't deprive your SO too often, though. It makes me grin every time I see my wife on her Spyder in my rearview mirrors. So much nicer than two-up.
-Scotty

Questions
04-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Thank you all for the feedback on the SE5 and SM5. I've had auto and stick shifts on all the car I owned. Living in Los Angeles, its a pain to drive stick in the crazy traffic we have here.
I will go test drive both and go from there. Thanks again you are the greatest bunch of people in any forum I've been in

bone crusher
04-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Thank you all for the feedback on the SE5 and SM5. I've had auto and stick shifts on all the car I owned. Living in Los Angeles, its a pain to drive stick in the crazy traffic we have here.
I will go test drive both and go from there. Thanks again you are the greatest bunch of people in any forum I've been in

You're gonna make us all collectively blush! Whichever bike you get, you're gonna love it!...(you'll just have a bit more fun on the manual)...
:opps:

krb1945
04-12-2009, 06:14 PM
I hope I didn't say anything to get me flamed... because the good Lord knows that I never meant anything like that. I was just wondering if I should have gotten her a manual because there is a problem with the semi-automatic?

It warms my senior citizen heart to see young ladies:clap::bowdown::yes: riding and controlling trikes and motorcycles. I have always wanted them to experience the same excitement I feel when riding. And my SO really likes to ride so I wanted her to have a machine she could handle safely after going through the safety course.

Let it be known here and now... I dearly love the ladies, each and every one of them... matter of fact... I still tear up and still miss my mother and grandmother when I visit their graves every two weeks. And I travel a total of 325 miles for the visit. Just wanted everyone to know...

Ride em safe...

Cundiffla
04-12-2009, 07:21 PM

Now that the GPS replacement seems to have cured my shifting problems, I don't see any advantage of a manual clutch (except to save some dinero).

Ok one or two things, something wrong with my Spyder, "this won't make me happy". or I just don't know how to burn rubber on the spyder. Now which is it. My third service is due this week and I will have it check out!

Thanks for everyone letting me know!

Larry

Cundiffla
04-12-2009, 07:25 PM
I hope I didn't say anything to get me flamed... because the good Lord knows that I never meant anything like that. I was just wondering if I should have gotten her a manual because there is a problem with the semi-automatic?

It warms my senior citizen heart to see young ladies:clap::bowdown::yes: riding and controlling trikes and motorcycles. I have always wanted them to experience the same excitement I feel when riding. And my SO really likes to ride so I wanted her to have a machine she could handle safely after going through the safety course.

Let it be known here and now... I dearly love the ladies, each and every one of them... matter of fact... I still tear up and still miss my mother and grandmother when I visit their graves every two weeks. And I travel a total of 325 miles for the visit. Just wanted everyone to know...

Ride em safe...

So you're in Keystone Height, Florida. I am in Orange Park, Florida. Keystone Height has some of the nice roads there, don't know if it still is haven't been down there is quite some time. If you're in this neck of woods PM me and we'll ride around.

-Larry

Degaman
04-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Ok one or two things, something wrong with my Spyder, "this won't make me happy". or I just don't know how to burn rubber on the spyder. Now which is it. My third service is due this week and I will have it check out!

Thanks for everyone letting me know!

Larry

There's no secret... just let go of the brake, and jam the throttle... if it doesn't squeal the rear tire, something is wrong with the machine.

Dudley
04-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Well, I guess I am just one of the few who rides and has ridden since 1966, over 300K miles and never burned rubber. I just have never seen a reason for doing it. For those of you who enjoy it, go for it! I just thought I would share with all of you.

NancysToy
04-13-2009, 07:37 AM
Well, I guess I am just one of the few who rides and has ridden since 1966, over 300K miles and never burned rubber. I just have never seen a reason for doing it. For those of you who enjoy it, go for it! I just thought I would share with all of you.
Glad you said "the few". Count me in. Guess when you have sat between the tires on a front-engined dragster, the other stuff loses its thrill. Our club now numbers two.
-Scotty

Director
04-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Glad you said "the few". Count me in. Guess when you have sat between the tires on a front-engined dragster, the other stuff loses its thrill. Our club now numbers two.
-Scotty

Make that three, Scotty and Dudley! :coffee:I could never see the sense in deliberately shredding a perfectly serviceable tire. I don't have the bankroll to support that!

Bruce

ataDude
04-13-2009, 09:38 AM
:opps: I'm out. :opps:

-Scotty

Make that three, Scotty and Dudley! :coffee:I could never see the sense in deliberately shredding a perfectly serviceable tire. I don't have the bankroll to support that!

Bruce

gnkc
04-13-2009, 11:43 AM

Mine is still in the "break-in" stage right now. No desire to smoke the tire--ever.

Lamonster
04-13-2009, 12:06 PM

Me too. :opps:

YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

Degaman
04-13-2009, 02:34 PM
Well, I have done it a few times (just to prove it could be done :lecturef_smilie:).

The last time my machine was serviced, the tech had just returned from a mandatory BRP class in which they frowned heavily on smoking the rear tire. Not sure what kind, but said chips could enter the drivetrain somehow and wreak havoc.

smokster
04-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Hello

If you want to ride, get the SM5, if you just want to drive, get the SE5.
Manual allows you to get a real feel for a bike. MHO

ataDude
04-13-2009, 03:33 PM
I just smoke mine a little... but you, sir, are a hooligan. :thumbup: :roflblack:

Me too. :opps:

YouTube - Suzuki M109R Burnout (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OdMGxANVEY)

northramp
04-13-2009, 06:33 PM
I guess I'm #5.....

hawkiii
04-13-2009, 06:52 PM
I love my SE5. It used to occasionally stick in Reverse but got that taken care of at dealer. The SE will smoke the tire if you want it to. Upshifting is a breeze and I rarely let the Spyder downshift for me. You have as much control of gear selection as a manual if you want it. Just a matter of how you ride. When riding solo I tend to be more agressive but when my wife and I ride together I like to just take it easy and enjoy the surroundings. No matter which Spyder you choose I think you will enjoy yourself. I love taking off and letting the world melt away....

bone crusher
04-13-2009, 07:47 PM
If you want to ride, get the SM5, if you just want to drive, get the SE5.
Manual allows you to get a real feel for a bike. MHO

Well said... :agree: