PDA

View Full Version : TOE AMPUTATION CAUSES QUESTION ABOUT HEEL-TOE SHIFTERS

Bam Bam and Pebbles
01-19-2017, 04:47 AM
Friday morning I am having the second toe on my left foot amputated. You know, the "this little piggy stayed home" toe. I somehow managed to get an infection in the bone of that toe. I had a kidney transplant 16 years ago, and any of the non-amputation cures will probably cause problems for my kidney. I just am not willing to mess with the function of my one working kidney. The problem is I have poor circulation in my left foot, which my surgeon says may cause problems in the healing for that ex toe space. We figure it is a 50/50 shot that it will heal properly. If it doesn't, then he may have to take more of the foot off until we can get to the good blood circulation area. It is a risk I have no problem taking. I am confident that I will heal properly and further surgery will be unnecessary.

Anyway, depending on what happens with this, I was wondering if anyone has used heel-toe shifters and if so, what brand is the best? Also, do you need to have floorboards with them and how easy are they to install?

I am going to take my last ride for the next few weeks today. Sure hope I don't have too many withdrawal symptoms from not riding. Usually my hands start shaking after a couple of days.

Bob Denman
01-19-2017, 08:04 AM
:shocked: I'm sorry to hear that you've had to make this difficult decision; here's to hoping that everything heals quickly and completely! :cheers:
The last time that I fought diabetic foot ulcerations on my foot: they finally needed to use Derma-graft, in order to get things to close up...
Heel/Toe shifters? Check with Inspector Gadget. He's got a real good one!

sjcpanther
01-19-2017, 08:13 AM
I had Inspector Gadget boards and heel-toe shifter on my 2012 RT. I just finished installing a nice set of Web Boards with shifter on my 2014 RT.

You can't go wrong either way. Once you get a heel-toe shifter, you'll wonder why you didn't get it years ago. 😀

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-19-2017, 08:35 AM
Sorry to hear about this sending :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: ............get well Bro ........ Mike :thumbup:

DrewNJ
01-19-2017, 08:35 AM
Did you consider possibly just going SE?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

cuznjohn
01-19-2017, 08:41 AM
i had this on my 08 wing, just because i liked it, give them a call and see if they have one for your bike, they work great

http://www.pingelonline.com/prodcat/can-am-electric-shifters.asp

PrairieSpyder
01-19-2017, 08:51 AM
I can't opine about what shifter to get, but when I rode two wheels, they were great to have. I've never seen one without floorboards, though, but it might work.

I'm praying you'll have a quick recovery. :pray::pray:

Machinegunner
01-19-2017, 10:25 AM
When the 2008 Spyders came out, my dealer in Wis. Also a good friend of Wayne Pingle wanted an electric shifter for the Spyder. It only worked for 2-3 shifts, then the nanny would shut the bike down. Couldn't make it work. That's when I designed my heel toe shifter for the GS-RS bikes. Now Rivco sells them. I don't know if they have one for the RT.

BUZZARD II
01-19-2017, 10:28 AM
I'm new to the Spyder world and ride a RTS-SE so I don't know a thing about heel/toe shifters on Can Am's. I do have over 40 years of stomping gears on Electra Glides. I always wondered about the guys that would remove the heel section of the shifter on Harley's. I never understood it. Were they such a spaz that they could not figure out two motions? Were they trying to shave off some of the 900 pounds? Yeah, it's a great way to shift, do it.

On another note my wife just had her hip replaced. For the first ten days they had her hooked up to a portable pump that aided circulation in both her legs. Kind of like wrap around stocking that applied pressure to your legs. There's all kind of things out there now to help you heal.

Good luck.

Lew L
01-19-2017, 10:30 AM
:pray::pray:for successful operation and full and complete healing/recovery.

Kaos

Deer Slayer
01-19-2017, 10:44 AM
Friday morning I am having the second toe on my left foot amputated. You know, the "this little piggy stayed home" toe. I somehow managed to get an infection in the bone of that toe. I had a kidney transplant 16 years ago, and any of the non-amputation cures will probably cause problems for my kidney. I just am not willing to mess with the function of my one working kidney. The problem is I have poor circulation in my left foot, which my surgeon says may cause problems in the healing for that ex toe space. We figure it is a 50/50 shot that it will heal properly. If it doesn't, then he may have to take more of the foot off until we can get to the good blood circulation area. It is a risk I have no problem taking. I am confident that I will heal properly and further surgery will be unnecessary.

Anyway, depending on what happens with this, I was wondering if anyone has used heel-toe shifters and if so, what brand is the best? Also, do you need to have floorboards with them and how easy are they to install?

I am going to take my last ride for the next few weeks today. Sure hope I don't have too many withdrawal symptoms from not riding. Usually my hands start shaking after a couple of days.
Sorry to hear of your problem. I have seen them on Spyders. In fact Honda Can-Am of Winston -Salem has a used Sypder with floor boards that you can look at. I like to see things live. I am down the road in Advance, if I can do anything, let me know. Good luck, Bill...

Chupaca
01-19-2017, 11:40 AM
Hope all goes well with this process. :pray::pray:'s....most heel toe shifters are operated with the ball of your foot and that part seem to be alright. There are many out there that work with the peg as well as with floorboards. The sE is a thought but expesive to switch over and I am not an sE person. Not a hard part to make at a machine shop if you do not find a comfortable one...:thumbup:

Martin Slovakia
01-19-2017, 01:25 PM
Cross fingers for you my man.. get well and rYde soon!!!!

olsarge
01-19-2017, 01:34 PM
I put one on my 2015 RTS SM6 and it is too far back to reach with the heel.. I intend to extend the back pedal , but haven't done it yet. thoughts and prayers for you as you have the surgery and for your recovery. :pray::pray::pray: Dennis

ARtraveler
01-19-2017, 03:26 PM
Wishing you the best on your surgery. It sounds like they have an answer for heal/toe shifting for you. The alternative (SE5, SE6) is not bad either--if its time to change up.

Bam Bam and Pebbles
01-19-2017, 03:38 PM
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers. Hopefully everything will work out. Im pretty sure it will. Had a good ride today but shifting was getting a bit painfull. I really do not want to go the SE route. I enjoy having the left hand and foot working together for a smooth ride. I am hoping I wont need to worry about heel toe shifters or SE's, but I figured I would be best served in checking options out.

Machinegunner
01-19-2017, 05:26 PM
My wife shifted hers up and down with her heel. She couldn't raise the lever with her toes. What about steel toed boots??

blacklightning
01-19-2017, 06:00 PM
I installed a heel toe shifter on my 2014 RT, along with web boards. I wouldn't want anything else. A friend installed a heel toe shifter with his boards, but decided to go back with just the stock shifter. I will check to see if he still has the heel toe shifter and is willing to sell (at a good price of course).
Good luck with your surgery and praying for complete healing.

Tomline
01-19-2017, 06:01 PM
Just wanted to Wish You "Good Luck with your surgery!" And a positive attitude like you seem to have will "Certainly Help!" Take Care & let us know how you make out!

IGETAROUND
01-19-2017, 06:09 PM
Sending you good thoughts and wishes for a rapid return to good health. Be at peace and trust your surgeon to do his best for you.

Al

JonYiong
01-19-2017, 06:48 PM
I'm sorry to learn about your situation.
But you really have such a positive attitude that I can learn from.
Hope everything goes well with a speedy recovery.

No experience on Toe-Heel shifter before.
But personally I feels you that it is more comfortable together with the floorboards.
Don't think it is necessary to change to a SE unless you are upgrading your Spyder.

Stays positive and healthy always...Cheers

Bam Bam and Pebbles
01-19-2017, 07:22 PM
Thanks again to all who sent me good thoughts. Looking forward to getting the toe cut off and getting back to work, and riding. Foot was so swollen on my ride this afternoon that I had a tough time getting my toes under the shifter. Still a nice ride. Hope it wont be too long til my next one. Lets have some dancing wieners :yes::yes:

jimclarkf1
01-19-2017, 09:03 PM
i pray everything goes great and your back riding ASAP:pray::pray::pray: I have had 3 bone cancer surgery and PRAYER WORKS:clap::clap::clap:

OkieDoc
01-19-2017, 09:50 PM
Another option is a Pingle
http://www.pingelonline.com/prodcat/can-am-electric-shifters.asp

Netminder
01-19-2017, 11:17 PM
Wishing you a speedy recovery.:thumbup:

robtdonna
01-20-2017, 12:12 PM
I had the Rivco heel/toe on the my 2014 RT, with pegs, not foot-boards. Like someone else posted, heel part was too far back and you were constantly moving your foot. I took it off.

Sold it and the ryder who bought it had a similar experience. He would up getting small foot-boards and a heel/toe from Inspector Gadget. Design is a bit different and it worked out for him.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers. Hopefully everything will work out. Im pretty sure it will. Had a good ride today but shifting was getting a bit painfull. I really do not want to go the SE route. I enjoy having the left hand and foot working together for a smooth ride. I am hoping I wont need to worry about heel toe shifters or SE's, but I figured I would be best served in checking options out.

Bam Bam and Pebbles
01-20-2017, 04:34 PM
Well, I just got home from the hospital. Surgery went fine but the dr still is not sure if the incision will heal properly, or if I will need to have more of the foot taken off. Im still confident that I will not need additional surgery. Original meds wearing off now but I hate to start taking the heavy meds they prescribed. Never have liked most of the meds they give you. I have had 14 surgeries now and I try to keep it down to taking tylenol. Ill see how that works before trying the others.

Thanks for the prayers and the suggestions and the comments on the heel toe shifters. If i need to go that route, I guess the Inspector will probably be the best option. Again, thanks to everyone!

blacklightning
01-20-2017, 05:40 PM
Glad to hear that your surgery went well. I will continue to pray for a full recovery. As for the heel toe shifter, I love it. I would also like to add that there is a set of full web boards posted for sale on here at a great price. I think the combination of the web boards and a heel toe shifter is the best.

Bob Denman
01-20-2017, 06:16 PM
My Grampa Denman had a theory about managing pain:
"If your foot hurts: whack your thumb with a hammer!"
:shocked: I never had the guts to try it...

Good luck with the healing! :thumbup:

Deer Slayer
01-20-2017, 09:02 PM
Glad all went well. Glad you are home. Look to ryde soon...Bill