PDA

View Full Version : Tag-along Trailer

acpd22
01-15-2017, 01:51 PM
The Tag-along trailer that Harbor Freight sells is marked down to $230.00 right now.

rwebb98
01-15-2017, 04:25 PM
I bought one of these to take to Spyder Fest last year. I paid $325 for it. Loaded it pulled from Dallas to Springfield without any problems what so ever. Bike (2015 RT Ltd) pulled it without wheezing.

It is not fancy and it meets the criteria of not leaking, carrying a lot of stuff and most of all it does not cost over $1000.00.

Good Luck.

Bob W.

Chupaca
01-15-2017, 07:03 PM
Have seen several dressed up and still under cost of others. :bowdown: for the info.....

DriftersWay
01-15-2017, 07:33 PM
I don't believe they come with a title. So you will have the paper work
and photos by the State you live in to get it titled.

thehawk
01-15-2017, 10:19 PM

They do indeed come with a title. Be sure the numbers all agree when you take possession.

thehawk

IdahoMtnSpyder
01-15-2017, 11:12 PM
If it has to be titled! I was surprised when I moved from Louisiana to Idaho and brought my 5 x 10 utility trailer. Went to get title and registration taken care of and lo and behold found out Idaho doesn't title trailers under 10,000 GVW. So now I have a trailer with a Louisiana title and Idaho registration! And no title at all on my little homemade motorcycle trailer!

RedRTS
01-16-2017, 01:24 AM
Has somebody got a pic they can upload?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buckeye Bleau
01-16-2017, 04:29 AM
Has somebody got a pic they can upload?

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/6/2/62644_zzz_alt_500.jpg

finless
01-16-2017, 08:29 AM
I got one used (it was unused so really new) on Craigs list last year for $150.

Bob

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=142483&d=1484573373

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=142484&d=1484573373

mikes351
01-16-2017, 01:46 PM
Sure now three years after we have purchased our Tag Along Harbor Freight has it! Regarding the paperwork for the title, yes it has what is needed! Although, my baby and I paid $525.00 from a wholesale/retail operation it has been worth every penny. With a max cargo weight of around 325 (and we didn't get close either) we loaded our trailer up for a week in Florida. The benefits that I have over the HF trailer is I have both a spare tire under the body as well as a welded metal frame on the tongue designed for a medium cooler, The final the we received was a leg for the tongue. The cooler also serves as a nice counter balance! What the HF trailer has we don't hydraulic lifts on the top as well as reinforced hinges. I have already upgraded to hydraulic top lifts but will go to the reinforced hinges - matching paint job coming up next.

Just my input!

:doorag:1330club

Michael & Debbie
2014 RT with Baby Trailer

acpd22
01-16-2017, 01:49 PM
Just got back from Harbor Freight a couple of hours ago. Tag-along is 95% assembled. Had to speak with the manager about the price. From yesterday it went back up to I think it was $349.00. I printed off the webpage from yesterday and they honored it. I love Harbor Freight!:clap:

retread
01-16-2017, 09:38 PM
My Tag a Long had Scotch Locks for the splices on the wiring. I had to go through it and solder and heat shrink all of them to get rid of the shorts to ground. Also changed over to LED lights and 12 inch wheels. I've been using it for 5 years now, works great!

john

Papahoosh
01-16-2017, 10:39 PM
They do indeed come with a title. Be sure the numbers all agree when you take possession.

thehawk

Mine came with Title too.

RedRTS
01-17-2017, 09:17 AM
Just got back from Harbor Freight a couple of hours ago. Tag-along is 95% assembled. Had to speak with the manager about the price. From yesterday it went back up to I think it was $349.00. I printed off the webpage from yesterday and they honored it. I love Harbor Freight!:clap:

Dont guess you have a way to pdf that web page and send it to me, huh? I want to go down and see if I have any luck. (I actually saw the ad for 230 but wasn't smart enough to print off a copy.....
It was most likely a mistake for the ad to be 230... wasnt there for long... but boy what a deal! Funny how someone with a 20k+ bike can justify $230 but not $349.... (smile)

Thanks!

RedRTS
01-17-2017, 09:34 AM
Okay now that I have waited a few days and the little trailer has gone back up to a whopping $349 at Harbor Freight (its funny how its easy to justify $230 but have to ask questions before spending $349.... and you drive a three wheeeled vehicle that costs over 20k!... {smile}...)

Questions.
1. Those that own one... would you do it again.. or how long have you owned it?
2. Have you compared how it pulls with others that may have the Freedom or 622 trailer? (Im new to spyders and haven't had a chance to poll users... owned a Goldwing with both a home made trailer and an Escapade trailer)
3. Is it pretty waterproof? I know it says it is.. but well... the seam is in about the middle... (although my home made trailer for my GW was made out of a car top carrier which looked a lot like this... was pretty waterproof)
4. Did you leave the little 8" tires on it or upgrade to the 12" ones? Did that change the characteristics of the pull or just give you peace of mind? If upgraded, did they fit with the supplied fenders?
5. Any drawbacks or nit-pics.... (yes I realize its a $350 trailer... this should not even be a question here... but hey... gotta save money for other farkles.... :) )

Thanks!!!! I appreciate it.
I want to go down to HF and at least check that the $349 is a going price and wont go up more so I'd appreciate any quick answers on the above. Gotta get something to go to Spyderfest this year.. don't think I can make it a week on the bike without more room. Been looking at getting a Freedom trailer but man... that's a lot of money! Over $500 just for the hitch is a lot too!

machead
01-17-2017, 12:09 PM
We had a tag-along that we had used behind a Gold Wing. Worked great but when we moved from the Wing to the Spyder, we sold the trailer to some friends. They and other friends have been all over the country with the trailer.

Some things I did to it right as soon as I got it home:

1. Remove the wheel hubs and clean out what ever is in there that the makers in China call grease. Fill them backup with some quality grease.
2. I did not rely on the scotch locks for the wiring connections. Solder and heat shrink tube on them.
3. Replace the 4 bolts that attach the clam shell to the trailer frame with 4 eye bolts. The eyes being on the inside of the trailer. Then put in a bungee net inside using the eyes at the attach points. Helps hold stuff down.

--Allen

trikerbiker645
01-17-2017, 12:51 PM
REDRTS, It wasn't a mistake, they had a 3 day "blow out" clearance type store sale for a lot of things according to the manager I spoke with He said things were marked down more each day. Said Thursday trailer was reg price $359.00, Friday $324, Saturday was $288, Sunday was $231......a great price. :yikes:Monday was back to $359 at our store. It was limited to in store stock only and no coupons could be used. OF course I just bought a used one a few weeks earlier from a private individual.....oh well. Safe Riding!

PS, I still have the ad I printed off showing it at $230.98....unfortunately I didn't save it on the computer after i printed it so I'd have to figure out how to scan it and send it if your interested in trying to see if they would honor it.

jtpollock
01-17-2017, 02:23 PM
I have on pulled it to Spyder Fest twice to the Black Hills twice and Durango all from Castle Rock CO No worries was very ease to get titled and plates enjoy the ride :clap::yes::thumbup: jtpollock

edit!! be sure you look at all electrical connection some are lose or open ends. repack the bearings you'll never have any problems.

RedRTS
01-17-2017, 02:28 PM
I have on pulled it to Spyder Fest twice to the Black Hills twice and Durango all from Castle Rock CO No worries was very ease to get titled and plates enjoy the ride :clap::yes::thumbup: jtpollock

Did u get an adapter to convert from the spyder connector to the flat four or how did do that.... assuming u use the can-am hitch.

jtpollock
01-17-2017, 02:32 PM
Did u get an adapter to convert from the spyder connector to the flat four or how did do that.... assuming u use the can-am hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk I did and I have a post here some where than shows the wiring and parts I will look and see if I can find it PM me and I will send you my parts list and wiring. jtpollock

WA5VHU
01-17-2017, 10:42 PM
Love mine, used it yesterday to haul some stuff. I made a few mods to mine too.

jtpollock
01-18-2017, 08:45 AM
here is the location of my post from 3/05/2013 WIRING RS to HARBOR FREIGHT TRAILER :thumbup: jtpollock

PapaHotel
01-18-2017, 09:13 AM
What is MOST advantageous about the HF trailer is that the total cost is less than the first year depreciation on the Can Am trailer I bought last fall...

frogfly
02-07-2017, 12:10 AM
Just bought mine on Saturday 2/4 and assembled it tonight. Happened to look at the display and the tags are marked Clearance - $299.00. Didn't want to put it off any longer and miss out (although they may be coming out with something to replace it.)

This was mostly assembled, took me about 2 hours to finish the assembly, but I wasn't in a hurry, could be done quicker. Planning to repack the bearings and install the bearing kit that keeps them greased. Will switch the lights out for LED's, and may upgrade the tires to something larger. The speed rating on the supplied 8" tires is 81 MPH.

I have the BRP hitch and the square 4 pin connector. Will be building a square 4 pin to flat 4 pin bridge, should be fairly simple to do. Don't remember if the bike side is male or female, but found both here: https://www.waytekwire.com/item/37163/4-Sqr-Contact-Molded-Connector/ ; https://www.waytekwire.com/item/37153/4-Sqr-Contact-Molded-Connector/. $1.50 for that square 4 pin is pretty reasonable.

Ready for the longer road trips now. Safe travels to all.

acpd22
02-07-2017, 01:22 AM
Well the tail lights that came with the Tag-along are gone. Replaced with LED's on custom made brackets. They are the low profile type. Pretty impressed with how bright they are. Haven't gotten around to figuring out why the marker lights don't work. If I had to guess it is the ground.:shocked:

WA5VHU
02-07-2017, 02:44 PM
Well the tail lights that came with the Tag-along are gone. Replaced with LED's on custom made brackets. They are the low profile type. Pretty impressed with how bright they are. Haven't gotten around to figuring out why the marker lights don't work. If I had to guess it is the ground.:shocked:

Best to run a separate ground wire to all lights and not depend on the trailer frame. Also get rid of all the crimp connections, solder and weatherproof and put in a wire loom where exposed to the outside.

Deer Slayer
02-08-2017, 08:18 AM
I used Eye bolts to secure top box. Added CBR turn signal assemblies so as not to have to use a ratty converter. Cleaned and properly loaded the wheel bearings.
143369RS-S can not tell it is back there.:thumbup:

2RTsGV
02-08-2017, 09:23 AM
I purchased the tag a long trailer from HF last year and have made about 5 trips to Springfield MO from KC (Spyderfest, Spyders in the Ozarks plus other overnighters) and although I initially filled the bearings with grease through the zerks at the back of the hubs, I was wondering if packing grease into the hubs via bearing buddies (which I have recently purchased) will be enough to ensure the bearings are grease packed. I am hoping to not have to pull out the bearings to repack and would like to know if this method will suffice. I welcome any and all thoughts as to whether this will be sufficient for packing the bearings.

larryd
02-08-2017, 09:59 AM
I purchased the tag a long trailer from HF last year and have made about 5 trips to Springfield MO from KC (Spyderfest, Spyders in the Ozarks plus other overnighters) and although I initially filled the bearings with grease through the zerks at the back of the hubs, I was wondering if packing grease into the hubs via bearing buddies (which I have recently purchased) will be enough to ensure the bearings are grease packed. I am hoping to not have to pull out the bearings to repack and would like to know if this method will suffice. I welcome any and all thoughts as to whether this will be sufficient for packing the bearings.

When I went to an automotive brake school MANY years ago they taught us to NEVER repack wheel bearing with our wheel bearing grease packer without thoroughly cleaning out the old grease...BECAUSE...

There are many different types of grease, lithium, calcium, sodium & some others...Most are NOT compatible with each other...Its like trying to put two positive ends of a magnet together...

So in my opinion and what I did on my HF trailer, was to remove the bearings, clean and inspect all bearings and pack with my grease in my bearing packer...Then at the beginning of the riding season I put several pumps of grease in the fittings on the back of the hubs and "ride on"

I use bearing buddies on all my other trailers that do not have zerk fittings...

larryd

quasi
02-08-2017, 10:44 AM
I used to always clean wheel bearings with kerosene before repacking.

arsquatch
04-24-2017, 05:25 PM
Just looked at the website, they are showing $499.00 now. Holy cow they went up.

WA5VHU
04-25-2017, 10:25 PM
Just looked at the website, they are showing $499.00 now. Holy cow they went up.

They will be on sale again soon, just watch for it.

UtahPete
05-07-2018, 08:02 PM
My Tag a Long had Scotch Locks for the splices on the wiring. I had to go through it and solder and heat shrink all of them to get rid of the shorts to ground. Also changed over to LED lights and 12 inch wheels. I've been using it for 5 years now, works great! john
I got tired of the harsh ride, so went with 10" wheels and oversized tires that can handle 20 psi and thus ride softer. Plus, I think it looks cool and if I ever need to ride through a swamp, the tires can handle it!

160726 160727

moogully
05-07-2018, 09:04 PM
If I were still traveling like I used to, I get a Leesure Lite Camper. I don’t enjoy tents anymore. This camper is almost a one finger set up & fold up. Can Am should make a camper trailer.

UtahPete
05-07-2018, 11:38 PM
If I were still traveling like I used to, I get a Leesure Lite Camper. I don’t enjoy tents anymore. This camper is almost a one finger set up & fold up. Can Am should make a camper trailer.
This is a thread about cargo trailers. BRP is not going to build a tent trailer but there are several other companies that do.

finless
05-08-2018, 09:12 AM
I got tired of the harsh ride, so went with 12" wheels and oversized tires that can handle 20 psi and thus ride softer. Plus, I think it looks cool and if I ever need to ride through a swamp, the tires can handle it!

160726 160727

Can you list the part numbers for the rims and tires you ordered for it? I assume also from Harbor Freight?

Thanks,
Bob

BoilerAnimal
05-08-2018, 10:43 AM
I just did a search on Harbor Freight's website and searched for trailers, utility trailers and even boat trailers. No results for anything other than trailer accessories. Wonder if they've quit selling trailers altogether?

Kredab
05-08-2018, 10:48 AM
I just did a search on Harbor Freight's website and searched for trailers, utility trailers and even boat trailers. No results for anything other than trailer accessories. Wonder if they've quit selling trailers altogether?

Checked at my Harbor Freight , all sales have been suspended due to trailer not meeting DOT standards, there was a sign in the store.

BoilerAnimal
05-08-2018, 10:52 AM
Kind of surprised that it hadn't happened before now, at least with some of them.

UtahPete
05-08-2018, 11:41 AM
Can you list the part numbers for the rims and tires you ordered for it? I assume also from Harbor Freight? Thanks,Bob

You're going to love this; they are Kenda tires. I got them mounted on rims from eTrailer; https://www.etrailer.com/Tires_and_W...a/AM3H330.html (https://www.etrailer.com/Tires_and_Wheels/Kenda/AM3H330.html)

I chose them for their low load rating but high speed rating. They are wider than I expected and it took some work to get them to fit on the trailer without rubbing the frame (basically I used 1/2" washers as spacers behind the lug nuts).

The original fenders fit; I made standoffs from 1/4" aluminum tubing and longer bolts to mount them to the existing brackets.

At first, I thought I'd made a horrible mistake in ordering these, but now I've got them mounted I think they look great. I run them at 20# and they do provide a softer ride without much rolling resistance.