PDA

View Full Version : FORMATION SPYDER SAFETY - TRAVELING IN GROUPS

The_Spyderwoman
04-10-2009, 05:32 PM
:chat:When riding in large groups, do you still try to stagger in a single lane? The 2 second rule doesn’t work as well with spyders, due to the front wheels that may be in line with the person behind or in front of you. So, in our last run, it seemed as though the formation was very long. It was very hard for the lead person to keep it from turning into a large slinky. Also, I guess we should make sure our two wheel friends are either up front or in the back. There is also a “rule” for two wheelers, that a large group ride in smaller groups (for ex: while going through an intersection light). That practice would greatly reduce the number of spyders to be able to do the same. What number would you suggest ride in a small group? Is there any place, or anyone, that has started safe formation-group riding for spyders? :chat:

Director
04-10-2009, 06:56 PM
:chat:When riding in large groups, do you still try to stagger in a single lane? The 2 second rule doesn’t work as well with spyders, due to the front wheels that may be in line with the person behind or in front of you. So, in our last run, it seemed as though the formation was very long. It was very hard for the lead person to keep it from turning into a large slinky. Also, I guess we should make sure our two wheel friends are either up front or in the back. There is also a “rule” for two wheelers, that a large group ride in smaller groups (for ex: while going through an intersection light). That practice would greatly reduce the number of spyders to be able to do the same. What number would you suggest ride in a small group? Is there any place, or anyone, that has started safe formation-group riding for spyders? :chat:

Teresa, I don't think Spyders can be ridden in "formation" like a conventional motorcycle. They take up too much of the lane for that. The two-second rule should still apply. With motorcycles, the two seconds is measured to the bike ahead in your tire track. The offset bike is only one second ahead, since it is presumed you will not rear-end that machine under normal circumstances. We need to set all that aside when dealing with Spyders, since we really can't offset as bikes can.
Therefore, in my opinion, the safe distance should be a minimum of two seconds from the Spyder in front of you. The same would apply if a two-wheeler was in front, since you really can't avoid using both tire tracks. Keep in mind that this distance should be increased under limited traction situations (e.g., rain. limited visibility, etc.)
I think as a general rule, the smaller the Spyder group, the better. My best guess is that anything more than six to eight Spyders quickly becomes unwieldy. It seems to turn into a slow-moving parade. :dontknow:

Bruce

Smylinacha
04-10-2009, 07:11 PM
HDX always rides and leads in the left portion of the lane. I try to stay towards the right side of the lane behind him. Just used to doing that from two wheel days. I like the left side better though.

zzneonzz
04-10-2009, 07:13 PM
IMO the best way to ride for trikes/spyders is to put them at the end. Put all 2 wheels together staggered and then add the trikes/spyder at the end using the 2 second rule to the last 2 wheel. This is how most of the group rides i've been on handle it and it works really well. I do still tend to ride to the side of the lane staggered but keep 2 seconds from the very last bike.

ataDude
04-10-2009, 07:16 PM
That's how my small group rides... and I prefer the back to prevent any mishaps. Plus... you're not doing anyone a favor by riding in front of them with three separate, large wheel tracks.

IMO the best way to ride for trikes/spyders is to put them at the end. Put all 2 wheels together staggered and then add the trikes/spyder at the end using the 2 second rule to the last 2 wheel. This is how most of the group rides i've been on handle it and it works really well. I do still tend to ride to the side of the lane staggered but keep 2 seconds from the very last bike.

NancysToy
04-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Teresa, I don't think Spyders can be ridden in "formation" like a conventional motorcycle. They take up too much of the lane for that. The two-second rule should still apply. With motorcycles, the two seconds is measured to the bike ahead in your tire track. The offset bike is only one second ahead, since it is presumed you will not rear-end that machine under normal circumstances. We need to set all that aside when dealing with Spyders, since we really can't offset as bikes can.
Therefore, in my opinion, the safe distance should be a minimum of two seconds from the Spyder in front of you. The same would apply if a two-wheeler was in front, since you really can't avoid using both tire tracks. Keep in mind that this distance should be increased under limited traction situations (e.g., rain. limited visibility, etc.)
I think as a general rule, the smaller the Spyder group, the better. My best guess is that anything more than six to eight Spyders quickly becomes unwieldy. It seems to turn into a slow-moving parade. :dontknow:

Bruce
:agree: In addition, we generally put Spyders, trikes, and sidecars to the rear of the group, single-file.
-Scotty

COOLMACHINE
04-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks everyone for such a good thread. It couldn't come at a better time. I'm all ears. :spyder:

bone crusher
04-10-2009, 08:23 PM

Bruce

Bruce, what a nice answer...good points...

Dudley
04-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Riding with the GWRRA in the 80s I learned a personal lesson about riding in groups. It really looks cool to go down a country road, all shiney bikes, waving to people you see, enjoying nature. One thing wrong. At the end of the pack the cars start stacking up and their drivers start getting a bit less than happy. When this happens the pack becames a tragedy waiting for a place to happen. I was in one of those packs one day when someone decided to pass. He did so, a bit at a time squeezing himself between whatever bike he wanted till he had passed us all. There was no shoulder to pull off on (Louisiana country roads don't have too many with shoulders). We had to quickly adjust to avoid an accident. Spyders, are roadsters. I think that as such, we should drive a prescribed route, but avoid a pack. If we give cars the same respect as we ask of them it will be a lot less stressful, therefore a lot more fun. Just my thoughts.

bone crusher
04-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Riding with the GWRRA in the 80s I learned a personal lesson about riding in groups. It really looks cool to go down a country road, all shiney bikes, waving to people you see, enjoying nature. One thing wrong. At the end of the pack the cars start stacking up and their drivers start getting a bit less than happy. When this happens the pack becames a tragedy waiting for a place to happen. I was in one of those packs one day when someone decided to pass. He did so, a bit at a time squeezing himself between whatever bike he wanted till he had passed us all. There was not shoulder to pull off on (Louisiana country roads don't have too many with shoulders). We had to quickly adjust to avoid an accident. Spyders, are roadsters. I think that as such, we should drive a prescribed route, but avoid a pack. If we give cars the same respect as we ask of them it will be a lot less stressful, therefore a lot more fun. Just my thoughts.

Good points as well Mr. Dud... :agree:

dltang
04-10-2009, 08:52 PM
When we had about 8-10 spyders riding together on our UP trip last year, we kind of staggered. One spyder slightly offset to the right, the next to the left and so on. This also makes it easier to see in front of you as well. I am not sure but I think they suggest this in the video you get with your new spyder.

RTGENE
04-10-2009, 09:36 PM
When the day comes that a large number of spyders are riding together its time to come to an understanding with the group.
Leave a large gap between small groups of 4 or 5 spyders and a large (four car) separation for a car to safely pass and return to the right lane. On 2 (interstate) lanes of traffic this group agreement leaves room for cars to exit or enter the right lane safely. In three lane traffic drive in the middle lane again staggered groups of 4 or 5 to allow traffic to flow easily between lanes. This center lane gives you two escape lanes left or right lane plus the shoulder in the event its needed.
Your courtesy is recognized and appreciated by other drivers.
Car vs. Spyder
Car wins every time.

Star Cruiser
04-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Car vs. Spyder
Car wins every time.

Good advice (as always)
I ryde in groups a lot and try to Lead or Sweep the group when possible. As sweep TWO seconds from the bike in Front of me. If I am in the miiddle of the group, always TWO seconds from the bike in front, and tell the bike behind to keep two seconds between us (just as they would for any bike directly in front of them). THe way I figure it, if there is a group of 8 Spyders, we are only going to be 8 seconds later in arriving at our destination, AND we'll all be in ONE Piece!!

The_Spyderwoman
04-11-2009, 02:26 AM
:agree: Thanks Gene! :2thumbs: Maybe you can assist George when this is discussed at our next meeting! :chat:

bjt
04-11-2009, 05:49 AM
When we had about 8-10 spyders riding together on our UP trip last year, we kind of staggered. One spyder slightly offset to the right, the next to the left and so on. This also makes it easier to see in front of you as well. I am not sure but I think they suggest this in the video you get with your new spyder.

:agree: I like riding staggered because of the visibility. I like as much warning as possible for potential lane changes, braking, emergencies, etc. and I don't like to rely on the brake lights / turn signals of the one Spyder immediately in front of me. Even if those ahead of me aren't staggered, I like to shade either the left or right of the lane to get the best possible view of what's happening up there. This isn't riding side by side but one Spyder shading the left side of the lane and the next shading the right side of the lane and so on with a small gap (2 seconds, 2 Spyder lengths, etc.) between the Spyders. Even if its just dltang and I riding somewhere, I try to offset from her to see what's ahead of her. Safe riding is all about being prepared and aware.

jeuchler
04-11-2009, 06:12 AM
:agree: I like riding staggered because of the visibility. I like as much warning as possible for potential lane changes, braking, emergencies, etc. and I don't like to rely on the brake lights / turn signals of the one Spyder immediately in front of me. Even if those ahead of me aren't staggered, I like to shade either the left or right of the lane to get the best possible view of what's happening up there. This isn't riding side by side but one Spyder shading the left side of the lane and the next shading the right side of the lane and so on with a small gap (2 seconds, 2 Spyder lengths, etc.) between the Spyders. Even if its just dltang and I riding somewhere, I try to offset from her to see what's ahead of her. Safe riding is all about being prepared and aware.

One more :agree:

I know lanes vary in width, but there may be two and a half Spyder widths to exploit...If I'm off a bit to the left, and you're off a bit to the right, well, that gives me a chunk more of a visibility, spatial, and time "insurance discount."

Look at this pic from last June, right after the border crossing (that's Lamont's trailer tail at the very bottom of the scene):
http://www.6impossible.com/spyder/lanesplitting.jpg

Lamonster
04-11-2009, 08:12 AM
When we rode to Valcourt from Americade in the rain I took lead with one of the Spyder team. We road side by side the whole way. When we would come up on traffic I would drop back and let him pass and when it was clear I would pull side by side again. It was one of the coolest things ever. :doorag::shocked:

YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.