PDA

View Full Version : Recalls?

Tomline
01-10-2017, 07:45 AM
Can recalls on our Spyders expire? When I took my 2012RT for a recent oil change to a dealer in St Petersburg Florida they showed that a recall for the gas cap hadn't been done on mine. They physically checked the cap & could tell that it hadn't been replaced. They didn't have one in stock but said they could order the replacement for me. I was leaving very shortly after that coming back to my home in Maine for the rest, or a good part of the winter so I passed on their offer. My local(here in Maine) dealer said if it wasn't bought there they wouldn't honor the recall. I just looked at the brp site and it didn't show any recall my machine?

Bob Denman
01-10-2017, 07:51 AM
This wasn't a recall. It was just a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB)
ANY dealer would have to honor what the TSB says to do.
You are NEVER required to go back to the original selling dealer...

Find another dealer. IMHO

Tomline
01-10-2017, 10:04 AM
Thanks Bob! I guess I'll give my Florida dealer a call shortly before I head back down in late February! He was willing to order one for me but I waited too long and wouldn't have been there when it came in. My first interaction with this dealer with the Spyder was for them to check the squeeling grinding noise when it moved in reverse either by the motor or just pushing it backwards by hand. They checked it out and told me that my noise wasn't bad at all as compared to other Spyders and checked the rear pads and rotor and said they were still in good shape. They said they could change the pads and rotor but couldn't guarantee that the noise wouldn't come back. No Charge! Patted me on the back & said they'd be glad to take care of any services or repairs while I was down there. I put a post on their web site giving them a big "Atta Boy!"

Chupaca
01-10-2017, 10:33 AM
Your Maine dealer should check up on policies...You could contact brp direct at the time they mailed out the caps to all registered owners. Some had sold thier spyders and never forwarded the caps to the new owners and some dealers did not make the change on crated units so there are those out there needing the new cap. As for the squealing noise, most come from an accumulation of brake dust in the pads and disc and a good washing from time to time will cure it. Simple green is used by many to clean things up. Sometimes on high mileage units the pins that the pads hang on get knotched and the pad don't slide back and forth smoothly anymore. :thumbup:

billybovine
01-10-2017, 11:13 AM
Can recalls on our Spyders expire? When I took my 2012RT for a recent oil change to a dealer in St Petersburg Florida they showed that a recall for the gas cap hadn't been done on mine. They physically checked the cap & could tell that it hadn't been replaced. They didn't have one in stock but said they could order the replacement for me. I was leaving very shortly after that coming back to my home in Maine for the rest, or a good part of the winter so I passed on their offer. My local(here in Maine) dealer said if it wasn't bought there they wouldn't honor the recall. I just looked at the brp site and it didn't show any recall my machine?

Recalls do not expire. But they can be in a completed status in BRP's data base. So you have the wrong gas cap on your Spyder. Since I assume you bought it used. You really have no idea if the recall was completed and the gas cap was replaced again later. BRP started mailing out new gas caps to owners, but not to all. The problem was how can BRP prove that owner changed the cap. So they stopped mailing them out and sent a letter instead to the rest. That's another possibility. The previous owner got it in the mail and never changed it out.

From NHTSA website.

billybovine
01-10-2017, 11:15 AM
This wasn't a recall. It was just a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB)
ANY dealer would have to honor what the TSB says to do.
You are NEVER required to go back to the original selling dealer...

Find another dealer. IMHO

Yes it was a formal recall. Registered under the NHTSA. Not a TSB.

billybovine
01-10-2017, 11:20 AM
Your Maine dealer should check up on policies...You could contact brp direct at the time they mailed out the caps to all registered owners. Some had sold thier spyders and never forwarded the caps to the new owners and some dealers did not make the change on crated units so there are those out there needing the new cap. As for the squealing noise, most come from an accumulation of brake dust in the pads and disc and a good washing from time to time will cure it. Simple green is used by many to clean things up. Sometimes on high mileage units the pins that the pads hang on get knotched and the pad don't slide back and forth smoothly anymore. :thumbup:

No they did not mail out a new cap to all registered owners. They started mailing them out and realized what a stupid idea that was. There was no proof that the cap was ever changed out. So they stopped doing that. I received a formal letter from BRP instructing me to contact my dealer to have the cap changed.

nhoj
01-10-2017, 11:23 AM
Attached pdf is the document that accompanied the replacement fuel cap.

Chupaca
01-10-2017, 11:39 AM
We must have been some of the first. We all got them in the mail and never got any letters to go to the dealer. :dontknow: But good to know.....thanks

No they did not mail out a new cap to all registered owners. They started mailing them out and realized what a stupid idea that was. There was no proof that the cap was ever changed out. So they stopped doing that. I received a formal letter from BRP instructing me to contact my dealer to have the cap changed.