PDA

View Full Version : New Spyder RT-S owner- need advice

Kredab
01-06-2017, 04:01 PM
I want to keep my RT-S looking new. I been talking to people about what products they use to keep the spyder clean. Heres what I need to know the products you uise to keep it spotless and what products you keep with you at all times.... I have been told about Plexus plastic cleaner, Cycle care formula 22 and a buddy that has a flat black victory uses Meguiars interior detailer on the whole bike....other ideas? especially the windshield.....Thanks in advance

ruralgirl
01-06-2017, 05:31 PM
I want to keep my RT-S looking new. I been talking to people about what products they use to keep the spyder clean. Heres what I need to know the products you uise to keep it spotless and what products you keep with you at all times.... I have been told about Plexus plastic cleaner, Cycle care formula 22 and a buddy that has a flat black victory uses Meguiars interior detailer on the whole bike....other ideas? especially the windshield.....Thanks in advance

CONGRATS on your new wheels! Speaking strictly of every-ride washing, I keep distilled water in a small spray bottle for cleaning my windshield (our well water is full of minerals and particulates), and I only use a micro fiber cloth for drying it. For the whole trike, I just hose her down, using a special sponge for "scrubbing", followed by micro fiber cloths. On the rare occasion that I use soap, it's just a drop or two of "natural, no harsh chemicals" dish detergent applied directly to my sponge. As others have pointed out, however, I should be using proper vehicle soap. Our dirt roads can cake on some pretty tough mud, but just plain water usually works just fine for me. As far as what I keep on board all times; several micro fiber cloths and my drinking (well) water in my handlebar bottle for emergency spot cleaning my windshield. Enjoy your Spyder!

Bob Denman
01-06-2017, 06:10 PM
Honestly: don't let this drive you NuTz! nojoke
Bugs are gonna happen.. as will road grit and grime, mud-puddles... and even the occasional bird-poo. :yikes:
Wash it with whatever you'd use on your car, and you'll never hurt it!
But enjoy getting it dirty!! :D

If it's always clean: it hasn't been ridden enough!

robhowen
01-06-2017, 07:25 PM
I personally like Zaino Brothers products (http://www.zainostore.com/mm5/merchant.mvc) for paint/chrome polishing and touch-up. I mainly use Z5 for polish and Z6 for a quick cleanup. Z8 is outstanding, but I find I have to mix it 50/50 with distilled water. You can use coats of Z2 and Z5 if you want to work harder. The result is terrific, but Z5 alone is fine for me. A little goes a long way! I find Plexus the best for the windshield. Rob

RedRTS
01-06-2017, 07:54 PM
Cycle care cleaners. Make quick spray... wax... and others. Sold a 10 year old gold wing that shined like new. Only used their products on it. Using it now on my spyder...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimboregon
01-06-2017, 10:22 PM
Bugs are gonna happen. I use a half and half mixture of water and Hydrogen Peroxide with a few drops of dish soap in it, in a spray bottle. Makes the bugs fizz and dissolve, wipe clean with a micro fiber cloth, then polish with Plexis.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

wolphspyder
01-06-2017, 10:29 PM
:congrats: :welcome: You have a good looking :spyder:, I use Lamonster spray cleaners on
my :spyder: ....even after I wash her after getting her filthy riding her.....my '14 still looks like new.

youngers
01-07-2017, 07:45 AM
:congrats: :welcome: You have a good looking :spyder:, I use Lamonster spray cleaners on
my :spyder: ....even after I wash her after getting her filthy riding her.....my '14 still looks like new.

can imagine that the black is pretty tough sometimes too keep it looking clean ... good job on that jut in it`s self .. ;)

jaherbst
01-07-2017, 07:51 AM
PLEDGE--good old household pledge works wonders on windshields and entire body as well. It fills in the tiny swirls and scratches on the W/S and really works great on bugs. I have used it for years on airplane canopy's, motorcycles and Spyders.

It also is much less to purchase. I alternate between plexus and pledge on my windshields.

Jack

ceyer69
01-07-2017, 09:29 AM
Best way to dry your spyder is using a leaf blower! It drys out all the nooks and crannies fast!! ;)

BigGuy66
01-07-2017, 09:47 AM
Cycle care cleaners. Make quick spray... wax... and others. Sold a 10 year old gold wing that shined like new. Only used their products on it. Using it now on my spyder...

...a Honda spray product for several years on my former ride - a 2003 Durango Red VTX. I used it on the body, the chrome, the windshield, but NOT the seat. Didn't want to slide off in a fast turn! I did use it on leather saddle bags. It worked very well and left a light wax-like shine. It also repelled water during rain and helped keep bugs from sticking so tight.

SpyderSteveFL
01-07-2017, 04:35 PM
There are many good products. What I did was ask the dealer what they used in the showroom because all the different bikes looked great. They just use a can of Honda Polish. I use it on everything except the black panels, seat and wheels/tire. On all painted parts, chrome, windshield even my helmet and faceshield. Always have a can in my trunk.

PrairieSpyder
01-07-2017, 06:31 PM
Honda Polish is also markets as Original Bike Spirits. Also use Merlin's Blood to clean the rims.

Papahoosh
01-07-2017, 08:05 PM
Honestly: don't let this drive you NuTz! nojoke
Bugs are gonna happen.. as will road grit and grime, mud-puddles... and even the occasional bird-poo. :yikes:
Wash it with whatever you'd use on your car, and you'll never hurt it!
But enjoy getting it dirty!! :D

If it's always clean: it hasn't been ridden enough!

:agree:

flaggerphil
01-10-2017, 01:49 AM
I use Purple Slice. However, I've found if I spend all my time trying to keep my RT spotless, I have very little time for riding.

Zip
01-10-2017, 09:32 AM
Best way to dry your spyder is using a leaf blower! It drys out all the nooks and crannies fast!! ;)

Best (and most fun) way to dry your spyder is 60 MPH :yes:

JayD
01-10-2017, 12:05 PM
I don't spend much time cleaning while on trips (other than windshield). When I get home I will use a good car wash soap and soft brush. Dry off with towel and it looks great.