PDA

View Full Version : Spyder and Goldwing Hauler

tbulens
01-04-2017, 07:39 PM
I been searching thru the forums with someone who ask the question how to haul both a RT and a Goldwing.
I did not see one, but could be a user error in search. Sorry if this has been asked in the past.

Do I need to get a enclosed trailer ( 7' or 8' x ? ) to haul both bikes or do they make an open ended trailer
large enough to hold both. I don't own a pickup so putting the Goldwing in the bed is not an option.

My Jeep has a V8 7200 lbs towing limit so weight should not be an issue unless the trailer is super heavy.

Thanks for any input.

I sooo excited spyderfest is coming soon.

MisterP
01-04-2017, 08:19 PM
I have a 8.5x16 dual-axle cargo trailer for our Spyder. It's overkill for one, but I have my reasons for that size. You could easily put a Spyder and GW in that size trailer. The key is finding the right loading combination so you don't create excess tongue weight. One would be loaded in front of the axles and the other to the rear.

The way to do this is find a commercial CAT scale, load the bikes in different ways and put the trailer on the scale. The CAT scale folks are usually amenable to helping but I go inside the plaza first and tell them what I need to do. You will pay for each weighing but it's not that expensive. You can do the same thing with an open trailer, I prefer the security of the cargo trailer.

Once you find the sweet spot mark the trailer floor and you are good to go.

Ranman42
01-04-2017, 08:50 PM
I don't know how to forward the string but search for size trailer needed 12-31-16 by doc humphreys He wanted to haul two spyders.

If you just use the size trailer needed you will get a lot of hits to search.

I too prefer an enclosed trailer but seems folks on here are about 50/50. Depends on space you have to store it ect....I would think to haul both a spyder and wing
7 x 14 would be minimum. And as above check load configuration to balance it out.

Good luck and happy ryding hauling.

TexasSpyder
01-04-2017, 09:50 PM
I had a 7 x 14 enclosed V nose and used to haul an ultra classic and my RT in. It was very tight fit.had to angle the rear of each bike to opposite sides of trailer. If I were to do it again, I would go with at least a 8 x 16.

pauly1
01-07-2017, 08:58 AM
I use a 7x16 Aluma V-nose trailer to haul various combinations of an HD Ultra Classic, 2 F3's (both with saddlebags) or an ST-LTD. I realize the bags are different on our Spyders vs the RT. The bikes are loaded in line with the first Spyder backed into the v-section and the second one (HD or Spyder) driven in. Puts about 350# total tongue weight.

Wayne

SpyderF3
01-07-2017, 02:12 PM
I just moved up to a 7.5' x 14' V-nose, I have a 9' long Big Dog and the F3, there's plenty of room.

Bumble_B
01-07-2017, 06:24 PM
I had a 7 x 14 enclosed and used to haul an ultra classic and my RT in. It was very tight fit.had to angle the rear of each bike to opposite sides of trailer. If I were to do it again, I would go with at least a 8 x 16.

We have a 2014 RT and a Victory Cross Country Tour. We "test fitted" them in a 7x14 V Nose and they just barely fit if properly angled. Ended up ordering a 7x16 V nose and fit is much better. On the brand we chose, the tongue/frame is much thicker than the 7x14. Could be beneficial if you add a weight dist. hitch setup. Didn't go for the 8.5 x 16 because of extra trailer weight.