View Full Version : Rear tire #3

docdoru
04-10-2009, 08:57 AM
#1: 12,000 miles, 30 psi, wearing the middle
#2: 15,000 miles, 30 psi, with nitrogen, wearing the middle
#3: ? drop to 25 psi, with nirogen :popcorn:

Mr.Bumble
04-10-2009, 09:43 AM
I am having the same problem,I have 30psi in my rear tire and it is wearing in the middle.I hope someone has an answer.:agree:

Firefly
04-10-2009, 10:19 AM
I am having the same problem,I have 30psi in my rear tire and it is wearing in the middle.I hope someone has an answer.:agree:

Are you thinking you should get more than 15,000 miles out of a rear tire?

The way I like to do burnouts - I'm sure I won't get over 15,000:D

NancysToy
04-10-2009, 11:36 AM
I would be thrilled to get 12,000-15,000 out of a rear tire on my BMWs. I am very happy when I make it over 5,000. Those tire cost more, too, and they are more susceptible to road hazards.
-Scotty

Dudley
04-10-2009, 11:47 AM
The rear tire will be one of my challenges. So far I have 7300 miles and have not touched the middle warning whatchamacallits. It does appear like it is wearing a bit more in the middle. Had been running 30 pounds. After installing the GIVI bags and readjusting the shocks for the extra weight, the rear appeared a bit stiff. I dropped the air to 28 pounds and find it rides a bit smoother. Still kept 20 pounds in the front tires.

Firefly
04-10-2009, 01:22 PM
In my years of riding it always seems to work out to 1 front tire for every 2 rears.

Sara
04-10-2009, 01:57 PM
--------------but isn't better to have the tire wear down the middle than on either side?????????-----SSSS

SpyderByter
04-10-2009, 06:46 PM
--------------but isn't better to have the tire wear down the middle than on either side?????????-----SSSS

Sure, better, but idealy, it should wear even. 30 pounds is the max recommended inflation. If it starts wearing in the center only, then you can always drop the pressure down.

A two wheeler will wear the center down first, but this is more like a car tire.

Cundiffla
04-10-2009, 07:22 PM
I don't know if it makes any different but my book shows the Rear to be 28 psi. I've kept mine right at 28 psi and it seems to be wearing evenly. I am just over 6,000 miles. Would the 2 psi really make that much of difference?

- Larry :spyder:

DragonSpyder
04-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Always ran mine at 28Lbs and it is almost bald in the middle with half tread on the outsides. I weigh 190Lbs and ride 2up often which brings me to over 300Lbs. I now ride with 21-24Lbs in the rear. It rides much smoother. Getting a new tire this week so will have to see how the wear differs.

tweeder
04-11-2009, 09:55 AM
If its wearing in the middle then its overinflaited, if it's wearing on the outsides then it's underinflaited.

Firefly
04-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Just took a closer look at mine - yup - wearing more in the middle than on the sides. Think I'll drop the pressure a bit and see how that works.

SpyderByter
04-11-2009, 09:57 PM
I don't know if it makes any different but my book shows the Rear to be 28 psi. I've kept mine right at 28 psi and it seems to be wearing evenly. I am just over 6,000 miles. Would the 2 psi really make that much of difference?

- Larry :spyder:
My manual and the one one this site shows a MIN of 26 and MAX of 30.

http://spyder.brp.com/NR/rdonlyres/A86F2B61-B5BE-4BE9-8E75-31BAFBB36FC0/0/OperatorsGuide_2008_en.pdf

Page 79

I just brought mine up to 30. By eye it looks to be wearing more in the middle, even before I pumped it up. It had 28. I have 2000 miles on it. I had no reason to bring it up to 30 except to try it and I already had the compressor out. If I don't like the feel, I figure it will be easy to let out a little at a time till I do.

bjt
04-12-2009, 08:17 AM
While researching tires in preparation for buying a new rear tire for the Spyder, I read that some wide, low profile tires have a tendency to wear more in the center of the tread than on the edges even when properly inflated.

SpyderByter
04-12-2009, 08:23 AM
While researching tires in preparation for buying a new rear tire for the Spyder, I read that some wide, low profile tires have a tendency to wear more in the center of the tread than on the edges even when properly inflated.

I have to guess that happens even moreso on the Spyder. Figure on a car, the front tire's edges get some wear from cornering, not so much for the rear tire on a Spyder.

Questions
04-12-2009, 11:31 AM
My 2-cents worth. I am running a GoldWing 1800 W/Hannigan GTL Side-Hack. Have a Michelin Harmony 205-55-16 on the rear of the Wing. At 28psi i will get 30K + on mileage. Why can't an Auto tire be put on the rear of the Spyder?

Thanks,Slim

NancysToy
04-12-2009, 12:05 PM
That was my understanding, too. I have also been told that the rim width vs. tire width has a lot of effect on how the tire wears with a belted tire. Belted tires tend to run quite flat on the road, even at varying pressures.
-Scotty

Dudley
04-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Here is a question that's been bugging me and may be all stupid and off the wall. For all you car jockies and dragster inthusiasts...when a dragster heats up his tires before a race, the centrifugal force of the tire spinning causes the tire to rise. With the light weight of the Spyder, could it be that, undetectable by the human eye, the tire could be running more in the center because the centrifugal force is doing the same thing in a much smaller scale and causing the center to wear out sooner? Don't laugh too hard!:dontknow:

NancysToy
04-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Here is a question that's been bugging me and may be all stupid and off the wall. For all you car jockies and dragster inthusiasts...when a dragster heats up his tires before a race, the centrifugal force of the tire spinning causes the tire to rise. With the light weight of the Spyder, could it be that, undetectable by the human eye, the tire could be running more in the center because the centrifugal force is doing the same thing in a much smaller scale and causing the center to wear out sooner? Don't laugh too hard!:dontknow:
Actually, Dudley, that's not so far fetched. The stiffer construction of a regular tire, the thicker tread, and the flatness of the belt are supposed to try to overcome this natural tendency. That's Basic Tire Design 101. Like everything in the world, nothing is perfect, however, and it still could happen to some extent, varying from tire to tire. Fortunately for a car or a Spyder, the tires are smaller diameter, turn at a slower rpm, and a street vehicle is geared lower, so there is less tendency for centrifugal force to distort the tire.
-Scotty

Dudley
04-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Actually, Dudley, that's not so far fetched. The stiffer construction of a regular tire, the thicker tread, and the flatness of the belt are supposed to try to overcome this natural tendency. That's Basic Tire Design 101. Like everything in the world, nothing is perfect, however, and it still could happen to some extent, varying from tire to tire. Fortunately for a car or a Spyder, the tires are smaller diameter, turn at a slower rpm, and a street vehicle is geared lower, so there is less tendency for centrifugal force to distort the tire.
-Scotty

So the absence of enough weight could cause the tire to have a tendency to be running more on-center than evenly flat? At high speeds the centrifugal force is pretty strong. Do you know what the wheel RPM is at 80 MPH?

NancysToy
04-12-2009, 02:13 PM
So the absence of enough weight could cause the tire to have a tendency to be running more on-center than evenly flat?
If you mean weight on the Spyder, possibly, but that is where the tire design, proper rim width, and proper pressure take over. Supposedly the tire manufacturer took this into account. In addition, any road design has a tendency to operate well over a wider range of conditions, than say a racing tire. My belief is that like gas mileage, there are differences from machine to machine (or tire to tire). I still believe pressure has the most influence on how a tire wears on a passenger vehicle, but other factors can influence it, even the type of road paving in your area and the specification of the asphalt.
-Scotty

krb1945
04-12-2009, 03:49 PM
I am by no means an expert on tires and I won't pick up my SO's new SE5 :yes:until the middle of the week but... there is always a but... from my weeks of researching, 4 to be a straight arrow, and 48 years of riding from 2 to 18 wheels it looks to me like there is a round shoulder tire where there should be a speed rated Michelin mxv4. Also centrifugal force also determines where the tire will ware. If the tire is soft when at speed it will bulge out in the center of the thread similar to when over inflated. The air we breathe is 78to 80 percent nitrogen. Nitrogen is a larger molecule and doesn't get through the microscopic holes in a tube or the tire casing. Air, oxygen, is a much smaller molecule which can squeeze through these invisible holes. I believe the key is you are using dry nitrogen which eliminates any moisture or oxygen molecules. Hope this helps. Science is great unfortunately I really didn't understand a lot of it until my mid sixties. To bad for me in my opinion.

I am a novice on the 3 wheels but it's an observation I have made. Some one please give me advice on this area so when it is time to get a new one I go in the correct direction.:dontknow: