PDA

View Full Version : Size trailer needed?

Roadster Renovations
01-01-2017, 12:54 AM
We have sold our 14 foot enclosed trailer and are going to buy a larger one. Just wanted some input on what size I should get to carry both the RT and the F3? I am thinking a 20 foot tandem would work pretty well.

al0vely
01-01-2017, 02:34 AM
We have sold our 14 foot enclosed trailer and are going to buy a larger one. Just wanted some input on what size I should get to carry both the RT and the F3? I am thinking a 20 foot tandem would work pretty well.

I have been looking for one also the last couple of months ... for our Spyder and Yamaha cruiser. I was thinking about an 18 foot which would leave 1 foot to spare according to the mfg specs. Frugal me says it is a waste of money as I think it will only be used a 2 - 3 times per year.

Bfromla
01-01-2017, 03:01 AM
When you need it its a whole different story! Only 1 foot to spare is bit close, find one with wiggle room, just beware family & friends will call you first when they need help moving! :)

Chupaca
01-01-2017, 09:19 AM
For only a few times a year and with the many trailer rentals I would not have one parked taking up space and needing attention. Now if you have the room and time it can come in handy for many other things...l:dontknow:

Bob Denman
01-01-2017, 09:42 AM
nojoke Size matters: pop for the 20-footer. :thumbup:
You always end up using all of the available space...

punji
01-01-2017, 09:49 AM
Hauled 2 RTs around the east coast in a 7x16 enclosed roundnose trailer. First tryke went in nose first. Second went butt first. Drove the rear tires onto extra large furniture glides so the back ends could be moved easily left and right. It's a close fit so a well-planned network of tiedowns for ratchet-straps is a gotta have. Never incurred any damage on twisties in the mountains. Padded furniture blanket helped protect bikes in event of a problem. Have to check the setup often to lessen worry.

asp125
01-01-2017, 11:18 AM
Spring for the 20 footer, you'll be glad you have extra space for easier tie down and for gear, tools, etc that accompany you on trips.

al0vely
01-01-2017, 12:34 PM
For only a few times a year and with the many trailer rentals I would not have one parked taking up space and needing attention. Now if you have the room and time it can come in handy for many other things...l:dontknow:

Space is definitely a consideration for me it would be taking up precious space on the driveway. We used to have a travel trailer which I sold after it went unused for 2 years to reclaim space. I had not considered renting ... that is certainly worth exploring.

Roadster Renovations
01-01-2017, 01:06 PM
We'll be using ours 3-4 times a year, maybe more. Have a great place for it by the house and it can be used to store both bykes. I also have a motion detector wirelessly connected to the house security system. When the house is armed, it is armed. If we leave with the trailer we just call the service and have them disable that zone until I get back.

JP58
01-01-2017, 02:57 PM
I would look at a 16 foot V-nose trailer. Back the F3 in to the nose area and the RT would fit forward behind it. I'm sure a trailer dealer would test fit your Spyders for a sale.

johnnyg
01-01-2017, 06:27 PM
We have sold our 14 foot enclosed trailer and are going to buy a larger one. Just wanted some input on what size I should get to carry both the RT and the F3? I am thinking a 20 foot tandem would work pretty well. I have an 18 23ft with an18ft bed the pic is with a 2011 RS and a 2013 ST but now we have 2 F3 an a lot more room .

Ranman42
01-01-2017, 06:30 PM
Sounds like you have the room and the machine to pull it. Just like a shop I find you will use all available space. happy travels with your machines. I like that you can use them to store the bykes. I need space and when I do get one I want want the jacks and support to use it as a temporary garage. Nicer to use on the road also.

Roadster Renovations
01-01-2017, 07:56 PM
Sounds like you have the room and the machine to pull it. Just like a shop I find you will use all available space. happy travels with your machines. I like that you can use them to store the bykes. I need space and when I do get one I want want the jacks and support to use it as a temporary garage. Nicer to use on the road also.

T

Thought about getting those also. I now use jack stands and boards to stabilize the old one on the road. Worked pretty well.

EdDeRosia
01-01-2017, 10:48 PM
I have an enclosed 20ft ATC all aluminum. We pull it mainly with the motor home. We try to get a campsite where we can stay hooked up which gives us a garage for the night. We have 2 rtl and they fit nicely one behind the other. The last bike fits just nicely on the flat part of the floor just before the sloped part begins. I have also found the trailer handy for hauling our bikes or our sons gold wing when the need arises. I would not go any less than 20 ft.

Empty Pockets
01-05-2017, 08:17 AM
8.5 wide x 14' long would work. For the price difference the 8.5x16 would be the best option.