PDA

View Full Version : Retirement shatters your world

Buckeye Bleau
12-30-2016, 02:54 PM
Last summer I officially retired, I was done with the post employment consulting work and just decided to give it all up and enjoy while I am healthy and able to enjoy. After spending over 20 years on the road internationally, many times over 200 motel nights per year, this was a good idea but it has been a definite learning experience. At first and still to some degree it is difficult or weird to have my wife go off to work while I stay home. Now, I do the things that save her time and energy so that we can both enjoy our time together.

However, there is much to learn, such as I noticed right away that the washer and dryer do not work the way that I thought for so many years. I had a doctor's appointment one morning but before I left I put laundry in the washer, I came back and it was still there, though wet. I put it in the dryer and then went to the store. When I got back, I had to take the stupid clothes out of the dryer and put them in the closet or dresser. This never happened this way before. At first I thought that it was because we moved to a different house but, NO. I also found out that the dishes did not get cycled to the dishwasher from the sink and even worse, we now have to manually unload the dishwasher, a waste of time. Then I saw this video, so now I know that the world is changing for others just as it is for me, it must be the end of times.:yikes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1_QTm-wpsY

Ok, so we talk about engineering on the Spyders, well how stupid is it that the vacuum cleaner is 3/4 inches too wide to fit between the legs on the dining room chairs, I have to move every chair to clean under them, why did they not make the sweeper narrower? :banghead:

It is like the Twilight Zone here!

Joe

ARtraveler
12-30-2016, 02:56 PM
Welcome to the land of semi or full retirement. :roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
12-30-2016, 03:07 PM
:shocked: Perhaps with your Wife still working; she can afford to hire a maid to help you around the house.
Make sure that she's young: You want her to be nice and strong, so that she can handle the chores that you assign to her. nojoke

:joke::joke::joke:

Peteoz
12-30-2016, 03:15 PM
:shocked: Perhaps with your Wife still working; she can afford to hire a maid to help you around the house.
Make sure that she's young: You want her to be nice and strong, so that she can handle the chores that you assign to her. nojoke

:joke::joke::joke:

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Navydad
12-30-2016, 03:35 PM
I too am retired and my wife still works. Her choice, not mine, although she has set a date to join me. I was lucky enough to be able to retire five years ago at age 56. My company has a very nice 401K plan and knowing that I would someday get burnt out I took full advantage of their plan. I was 56, hated to go to work, and it was affecting the home life. My wife finally told me to retire or she was going to kill me in my sleep. I had learned after 34 years of marriage when to fold, I retired. I enjoy it and like you I had a learning curve which I am still steering around. I am allowed to wash anything as long as it doesn't belong to her. She works in a nice office environment and does not want her dress clothes swapping suds with my jeans or coveralls that have been God knows where. Her exact words. The first thing I did after retiring was to rip every thread of carpet out of our house. This did not go over well at first, but I soon won her over when she realized how much easier it was to maintain floors that aren't covered with cloth. We have a German Shedder dog and I have to sweep the wood floors every day, much easier job with the carpet gone. I have became quite handy around the kitchen and I really like the "atta boy" attention I get when she arrives home to a nice supper. I, with her blessing, manage to get in some very nice solo trips on the bike. I was gone for six weeks on one solo trip. We both are in good health and we both love to ride. I am looking forward to the day when we both no longer have to be home in time for work.

Bob Denman
12-30-2016, 03:40 PM
I'm still a bit over 6 years away from retirement... :shocked:
But I like what I do, and my Missus would definitely kill me, if I tried messing around with her "household routine"... nojoke

al0vely
12-30-2016, 03:54 PM
I am 57 and have 4 years 202 days before retirement. :2excited:
I can hardly wait ... hoping to get the art of enjoying my spyder perfected by retirement time. I honestly dislike going to work more everyday as I get older but I am trying to stay to keep my insurance - the company will continue to pay when I retire at 62 for 3 more years.

My hubby is retired and he takes care of the house in between riding his motorcycle and playing that darn bass guitar.
Funny though ... I have been on vacation the last 2 weeks and I notice his routine during these winter days includes plenty of nap time.

BUZZARD II
12-30-2016, 03:54 PM
I semi retired 15 years ago and fully went into full time riding/retirement mode 8 years ago. I can help you with that laundry problem. Gladly take over all the laundry. Then mix everything together. New blue jeans and red sweatshirts and anything white that you can find.

Save time by using the hot water setting and high heat on the dryer. Bingady boom, the laundry is done. Your laundry assignments will be done forever when your wife comes home.

Don't thank me, I'm glad to help.

Deanna777
12-30-2016, 04:47 PM
I'm still a bit over 6 years away from retirement... :shocked:
But I like what I do, and my Missus would definitely kill me, if I tried messing around with her "household routine"... nojokeI have 8 more years until I can retire, and I am looking forward to retirement..............:banghead: :yikes: :gaah:.

I have a "Bucket list" of things that I would like to do, 1 of them is riding my spyder/and seeing our U.S.A. more. While I am able, and healthy. Deanna

easysuper
12-30-2016, 05:18 PM
I'm on the short side of retiring in 2 years, with my wife being retired for the last 2 years although she seems busier than ever. Can't wait to take some of my bucket list rides, but I still enjoy my job .

Bob Denman
12-30-2016, 06:02 PM
That's what keeps me going: The "Bucket List Rides"! :D
As long as I've got that on my radar: I can endure pretty near anything that happens at my desk! nojoke

Igofshn
12-30-2016, 06:11 PM
90 days until I retire. After the beginning of the new year, I will be working 3 day work weeks. So ready for this. 40 years as an air traffic controller.

Bob Denman
12-30-2016, 06:13 PM
:clap: :congrats:

JerryB
12-30-2016, 08:30 PM
Hi Bob,

Re: my Missus would definitely kill me, if I tried messing around with her "household routine"...

About 20 yrs ago I attended a 2-day retirement seminar, it was to explain the various types of retirements, the health plan, survivorship, etc. The first thing out of his mouth was, 'Do not change anything in the kitchen just because you can. You can't.'

:banghead:

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Retired once in '99 and once again in '02. :yes:

PPS) And I tell people that retirement is the best job that I have ever had.

Peteoz
12-30-2016, 10:03 PM
Hated my job for the last 15 years, but the money was just too good to pass up. It meant retirement at 58 and a "comfortable" lifestyle out of the city, so it was well and truly worth it in the end. Not once have I thought "gee, I wish I was back working in the corporate world!";)

Fat Baxter
12-31-2016, 12:08 AM
I retired last May at age 65, after 42 total years with the Air Force, uniformed and civilian. I am now enjoying an endless string of Saturdays......:D

Not totally unexpected, but now my wife expects me to help with her household chores. Funny how that works.

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-31-2016, 02:19 AM
For those who may not be aware here are some notes about retirement and Social Security.

Full retirement age (FRA) is currently 66 and in 2020 begins a six year rise to 67. You can still start your SS benefits at 62 with a 25% permanent reduction. Your benefit will be reduced if you have earned income above a threshold level between 62 and FRA. After your reach FRA you can earn any amount without a reduction in SS benefit. But here's one many people misunderstand. Your SS benefit becomes taxable income if all your other income exceeds a threshold. SS is not 100% tax free income.

Medicare coverage begins at 65. It can be delayed only if you are covered by an active employee insurance plan. There is a big difference between original Medicare and Medicare Advantage plans. Review them carefully. The MA plans are not always the best choice. Original plus medigap insurance may be better for you.

Buckeye Bleau
12-31-2016, 06:07 AM
I too am retired and my wife still works. Her choice, not mine, although she has set a date to join me. I was lucky enough to be able to retire five years ago at age 56. My company has a very nice 401K plan and knowing that I would someday get burnt out I took full advantage of their plan. I was 56, hated to go to work, and it was affecting the home life. My wife finally told me to retire or she was going to kill me in my sleep. I had learned after 34 years of marriage when to fold, I retired. I enjoy it and like you I had a learning curve which I am still steering around. I am allowed to wash anything as long as it doesn't belong to her. She works in a nice office environment and does not want her dress clothes swapping suds with my jeans or coveralls that have been God knows where. Her exact words. The first thing I did after retiring was to rip every thread of carpet out of our house. This did not go over well at first, but I soon won her over when she realized how much easier it was to maintain floors that aren't covered with cloth. We have a German Shedder dog and I have to sweep the wood floors every day, much easier job with the carpet gone. I have became quite handy around the kitchen and I really like the "atta boy" attention I get when she arrives home to a nice supper. I, with her blessing, manage to get in some very nice solo trips on the bike. I was gone for six weeks on one solo trip. We both are in good health and we both love to ride. I am looking forward to the day when we both no longer have to be home in time for work.

Hey, Navydad, maybe we can pair up, u have some experience that I would like to learn from.

First of all, you take some trips on the Spyder, my wife is supportive of that and encouraging me to do so, but I am a little reluctant, based purely on NO experience with MC touring.

Secondly, you like me are in the Buckeye state as am I, planning and meet up should be easy.

Areyou interested in a wingman?

Joe

kep-up
12-31-2016, 07:33 AM
Officially retired now for 1 week. Not bored, yet. Still have a deer tag to fill and now can visit the forest whenever I want for two more weeks. Then, I have stuff to do.... including how to plan and prepare more than a handful of meals. (will need to learn how to use my time wisely, I think) The laundry and cleaning are not an issue, been doing a bit of that for years. General goofing off is pretty high up on the bucket list, too.
Oh, yeah, and I'll need to find time to work at my own business as a certified third party building inspection agency here in Pennsylvania.

wrb3004
12-31-2016, 08:43 AM
I retired about a year ago...it's great! As I hang out at the local diner for my morning coffee, or as I hang out playing golf, or as I go for a nice long Spyder ride I think to myself they are paying me to do this. Happy retirement.

Bob Denman
12-31-2016, 11:05 AM
Hi Bob,

Re: my Missus would definitely kill me, if I tried messing around with her "household routine"...

About 20 yrs ago I attended a 2-day retirement seminar, it was to explain the various types of retirements, the health plan, survivorship, etc. The first thing out of his mouth was, 'Do not change anything in the kitchen just because you can. You can't.'

:banghead:

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Retired once in '99 and once again in '02. :yes:

PPS) And I tell people that retirement is the best job that I have ever had.

:D Now THAT is some very useful information! :clap: :2thumbs:

Navydad
12-31-2016, 05:33 PM
Hey, Navydad, maybe we can pair up, u have some experience that I would like to learn from.

First of all, you take some trips on the Spyder, my wife is supportive of that and encouraging me to do so, but I am a little reluctant, based purely on NO experience with MC touring.

Secondly, you like me are in the Buckeye state as am I, planning and meet up should be easy.

Areyou interested in a wingman?

Joe

Actually Joe, I am a new Spyder rider and just purchased our new 2015 RT this month. All of my previous adventures have been on two wheels. To answer your question, sure I'm game. Let's start small and maybe take in the Blue Ridge Parkway or maybe part of it. I venture over there several times a year. A nice "break in" ride would be a three day trip to Skyline Drive. Just a warning though; I prefer mom and pop lodging as long as it's clean and I love the "greasy spoon" eatery's.

SpyderF3
12-31-2016, 07:37 PM
I retired a year ago this past September and I know now why I worked and wish I could go back. I miss the rest and short naps I used to get a work.:roflblack:

armyspydervet
12-31-2016, 07:59 PM
Actually Joe, I am a new Spyder rider and just purchased our new 2015 RT this month. All of my previous adventures have been on two wheels. To answer your question, sure I'm game. Let's start small and maybe take in the Blue Ridge Parkway or maybe part of it. I venture over there several times a year. A nice "break in" ride would be a three day trip to Skyline Drive. Just a warning though; I prefer mom and pop lodging as long as it's clean and I love the "greasy spoon" eatery's.

I'll ride Skyline and Blue Ridge with you guys if you come down this way...that is if you want a "young whipper-snapper" tagging along. I'm not retired though. Only 43, so I would have to check my work schedule.

Mactoys
12-31-2016, 08:23 PM
I retired in October. I might get another job sometime... unless I can find some riding fun ;) I was just on the Blue Ridge this week in my car. I'd love a trip on the Spyder.

al0vely
12-31-2016, 08:45 PM
I retired in October. I might get another job sometime... unless I can find some riding fun ;) I was just on the Blue Ridge this week in my car. I'd love a trip on the Spyder.

I bet you can find some Spyder trips to keep you busy. I have been making a list of some trips I would like to take as time permits at least 6 that would keep me busy. I think it would also be nice to attend a couple of the Spyder rally's that are held across the US.

lou49
12-31-2016, 11:00 PM
Retired and loving it! I do the cooking, but i dont do laundry! She still works! :yes:

missouriboy
12-31-2016, 11:38 PM
I miss the rest and short naps I used to get at work.:roflblack:Now dat's funny rat dere! I don' care who ya are, dat's funneee! :roflblack::roflblack:

M109Dreamer
01-01-2017, 01:56 AM
Retired and loving it! I do the cooking, but i dont do laundry! She still works! :yes:
Me too, I can still get them at home but not get paid for them like I used too at work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Copperman
01-01-2017, 03:52 AM
My last work day was November 30th and I am now retired!

Looking forward to many more rides this year all over the country.

BUZZARD II
01-01-2017, 11:20 AM
Buckeye, Navydad & Armyspyder. Now if you're riding Skyline or the BRP, post it up or let me know. I live ten miles from the northern terminus of Skyline and ride it all the time.

I did a lunch run just before Christmas on Skyline. Weekday, no traffic, no rangers shooting radar. Winter is wonderful, until some snow shuts it down. When that happens there's great riding in the river valley or the horse country on the other side of Skyline.

BTW, I love riding SE Ohio. 555 is awesome.

asp125
01-01-2017, 11:40 AM
Wifey retired 2yrs ago, and I quit my job so that we were able to full time it for the next year. It was fun to travel around the country visiting friends and riding all over the place. I still feel I have a few good working years left so I tried to un-retire. It's hard, once you stop networking with your peers. I have part time work and looking forward to retiring again in a couple of years. What I miss most about full time retirement is being able to "snowbird" it down south, away from the snow and cold.

ronrico
01-02-2017, 05:18 PM
Today is the first day of my retirement so I have a lot to look forward to. First I will have to finish the move we are in the middle and then will see if I have a coffee table like those.

Bob Denman
01-02-2017, 05:59 PM
:congrats: :clap: :firstplace: :thumbup:
(You can start looking for places to hide: later! :D)

SPYDERGUY1
01-04-2017, 07:53 PM
Not retired, however did the same scenario, Now I now longer have to do the laundry except my own, and only when the basket is overflowing..... LOVE IT.

Bob Denman
01-05-2017, 03:11 PM
As you get older; you start to look forward to:
Going to bed early...
Staying home...
Not going to parties...
and being left alone...
It seems that what was punishment all those years ago... has become a goal! :thumbup:

Buckeye Bleau
01-05-2017, 04:17 PM
As you get older; you start to look forward to:
Going to bed early...
Staying home...
Not going to parties...
and being left alone...
It seems that what was punishment all those years ago... has become a goal! :thumbup:

:bowdown:

Joe

mzeek
01-05-2017, 07:02 PM
Wifey retired 2yrs ago, and I quit my job so that we were able to full time it for the next year. It was fun to travel around the country visiting friends and riding all over the place. I still feel I have a few good working years left so I tried to un-retire. It's hard, once you stop networking with your peers. I have part time work and looking forward to retiring again in a couple of years. What I miss most about full time retirement is being able to "snowbird" it down south, away from the snow and cold.

I’m 66 years old and planning for retirement at the end of 2017. I work for the Gov’t and have an undemanding, low stress job which could probably go on forever but I’m slowly becoming less tolerant of it. Wife doesn’t plan to retire for four more years (middle school teacher) – we’ll see if that holds true. I’ve got lots of hobbies/interests/skills to keep me busy but I’m sure retirement will jar me into refocusing on a lot of (perhaps unexpected) things. Much like a sled dog, not sure how it will be when I no longer need to pull a sled. This is my first trike (much to the relief of my wife) after 18 years of riding, at least a dozen, various sport bikes. After reading quite a few posts here, I gather I’m not entirely alone in this. I switched to the Can Am F3-S not just because I’m getting on, though that’s not a bad reason, but because of the perceived increased visibility of the Spyder profile and accompanying lighting that, I’m hoping, outline a much larger profile to negligent drivers. Born and raised in West Texas and currently in So Cal (moved from Washington, DC) on TDY with the option to stay indefinitely so, if anyone’s looking for a riding partner, give me a holler.

Leeallen1111
01-05-2017, 07:28 PM
Retired last summer for the second time (22 years Army and 20 years Federal Gov't) and my wife still works. Having a great time with Spyder rides, volunteering at the Anderson Orthopedic Center and Walter Reed South, travel around the country and Europe - what's not to love

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

retread
01-05-2017, 08:24 PM
I retired from GM in 93, then from Ford in 05, mostly because it wasn't fun any more. Figured with our investments and so forth, we were set. Lost her in 06, the people taking care of the investments lost them in 09. Kinda glad I did the time at Ford. Life goes on.

john

greybeard
01-05-2017, 11:01 PM
been retired 8 yrs. Some observations-Don't call your wife who works and who loves to fish from the lake at 10 in the morning with the great weather report and the you should be here fishing report. Only did that once. DO NOT move anything in the house because you know a better way or better place unless you want to find out what a moron you really are. You will never be able to make a bed right. Never buy furniture on your own. your wife doesn't want to hear about the conversation you had with the nice young lady down the street. Always be there when your wife gets home from work with a cocktail and a shoulder rub

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-06-2017, 12:29 AM
For those who may not be aware here are some notes about retirement and Social Security.

Full retirement age (FRA) is currently 66 and in 2020 begins a six year rise to 67. You can still start your SS benefits at 62 with a 25% permanent reduction. Your benefit will be reduced if you have earned income above a threshold level between 62 and FRA. After your reach FRA you can earn any amount without a reduction in SS benefit. But here's one many people misunderstand. Your SS benefit becomes taxable income if all your other income exceeds a threshold. SS is not 100% tax free income.

Medicare coverage begins at 65. It can be delayed only if you are covered by an active employee insurance plan. There is a big difference between original Medicare and Medicare Advantage plans. Review them carefully. The MA plans are not always the best choice. Original plus medigap insurance may be better for you.
:agree: .... and do the math on not starting your benefits at 62 and waiting for whatever age you think you will retire. I did for myself until age 70 that = 8 yrs ...... If I didn't receive any SS for 8 yrs and started receiving at 70 .... it would take me until I was - 82 ,( 12 yrs ) just to BREAK EVEN and start to actually get a benefit from waiting ....... and the whole TAX thing wasn't included in this calculation..... If I'm alive at 82 it will be a MIRACLE............. I seriously think the Gov't. pushes this WAIT thing because they figure a lot will die before the person actually begins to BENEFIT from the wait......... jmho ...... but do the math for yourself, don't take my word for it........ Mike :thumbup:

Buckeye Bleau
01-06-2017, 07:28 AM
[QUOTE=Leeallen1111;1215101]Retired last summer for the second time (22 years Army and 20 years Federal Gov't) and my wife still works. Having a great time with Spyder rides, volunteering at the Anderson Orthopedic Center and Walter Reed South, travel around the country and Europe - what's not to love

I salute and thank you for all that you have done. God Bless and keep you.:firstplace:

Joe

Leeallen1111
01-06-2017, 08:14 AM
Thanks Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk