PDA

View Full Version : Looking to upgrade but need some advise.

cmar157
12-29-2016, 04:10 PM
I am getting the upgrade bug and was hoping to get some feedback from the experts. I currently have a 2012 RT-S with 7900 miles and all the options
CB
Navigation
Audio and Communication with 2 headsets

Upgrades
LED head and fog lights (Lamonster model)
Sway bar
Back up camera
Volt meter
Ultimate Tall boy 2 tone seat
FOBO TPMS

I am looking at a 2016 RT-S Special Series standard model. It has no additional add-ons other than the standard package.

Here are a couple of questions
1. Do the 2016 models still have the gas smell? I get a bad odor after a ride and it does bug me.
2. Is the heat issue resolved on this model? I have the block plate and the heat shield but still feel the heat.
3. Is the special series worth the additional money and do you think it will keep its value compared to the other models?
4. Will the Ultimate seat have fit the 2016 Spyder?
5. Do the 2016's need a new sway bar or is the handling better than the 2012 with the upgraded sway bar?
6. Are the upgrades worth the money?

The numbers.
They are offering $10,500 trade in for my Spyder with the add-ons I made. I think that is low and I know I can get more on a private sale but not my favorite thing to do.
The new 2016 RT-S Special Series $24,000 out the door.

I f there is anything else I am missing I would appreciate the help.

Thanks

Bfromla
12-29-2016, 04:25 PM
I am getting the upgrade bug and was hoping to get some feedback from the experts. I currently have a 2012 RT-S with 7900 miles and all the options
CB
Navigation

Upgrades
Sway bar
Back up camera
Volt meter
FOBO TPMS

I am looking at a 2016 RT-S Special Series standard model. It has no additional add-ons other than the standard package.

1. Do the 2016 models still have the gas smell? I get a bad odor after a ride and it does bug me.
2. Is the heat issue resolved on this model? I have the block plate and the heat shield but still feel the heat.
3. Is the special series worth the additional money and do you think it will keep its value compared to the other models?
4. Will the Ultimate seat have fit the 2016 Spyder?
5. Do the 2016's need a new sway bar or is the handling better than the 2012 with the upgraded sway bar?
6. Are the upgrades worth the money?

The numbers.
They are offering $10,500 trade in for my Spyder with the add-ons I made. I think that is low and I know I can get more on a private sale but not my favorite thing to do.

I f there is anything else I am missing I would appreciate the help.

Thanks

FOBO for sure can transfer to the 16 & the heat issues are solved with the 1330 & I have not read any comments on gas smell for any of the newer models with it :thumbup:.
Are the numbers from one dealer or have you shopped around?

Highwayman2013
12-29-2016, 04:33 PM
The seat will transfer, I rode one and I think compared to our 2012 the front end is soft. This can be solved by adding spring adjusters or different shocks. I would put a sway bar on too. I got the 2013 scoops on our 2012 and it cut the heat way down.

Chupaca
12-29-2016, 05:13 PM
As to the questions....

1. Gone...they should have fixed that for you on the 2012
2. Gone...
3. Depends on the handy work you can do and how much you want the extras...mho not worth it...
4. Yes
5. They have a better bar but still not as good but you would know after a few miles...
6. Upgrading to the 1330 seems to be a good choice as seen from those that have done so...

as to price....well they are just giving you the value of a standard no extras model in good condition..shop around or go private...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
12-29-2016, 05:30 PM
:D My advice:

You won't be a bit sorry that you did! nojoke

Firefly
12-29-2016, 05:56 PM
The difference between trade-in will be maybe $2,000.
They're just not holding value well I'm afraid. BRP ditching the 998 has made for the value going down. Also the great deals BRP offers on brand new 2 year old Spyders makesnour trade-ins worth crap.
The $10,500 trade-in is what you're gonna find out there. That's about what I was offered from various dealers when I traded in to get my new 2015 F3. Got a great deal on it this fall, but it was discounted so much there wasn't gonna be a lot coming from the trade in.
I traded in because I hate private selling things like this. Guess my convenience was about $2,000. Lol.
The 1330 is a great engine. Absolutely love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cruzr Joe
12-29-2016, 06:30 PM
CB
Navigation

Upgrades
Sway bar
Back up camera
Volt meter
FOBO TPMS

1. Do the 2016 models still have the gas smell? I get a bad odor after a ride and it does bug me. (NO GAS SMELL ON 16s)
2. Is the heat issue resolved on this model? I have the block plate and the heat shield but still feel the heat. (HEAT ISSUE RESOLVED, Dual Radiators)
3. Is the special series worth the additional money and do you think it will keep its value compared to the other models? (NO)
4. Will the Ultimate seat have fit the 2016 Spyder? (It Should)
5. Do the 2016's need a new sway bar or is the handling better than the 2012 with the upgraded sway bar? (A heavier sway bar is better for most riders, but not all)
6. Are the upgrades worth the money? (YES, YES, YES) Better power range, Better Brakes, Bigger Tires, Farther on a tank of gas, 6 forward gears, Etc, Etc, Etc)

The numbers.

I f there is anything else I am missing I would appreciate the help. The "12" pricing is dependent on area and dealer, Go for it and then get out and put some miles on it)

Thanks
CruzrJoe

Bob Denman
12-29-2016, 06:37 PM
About the anti-Swaybar...
When I had my 2010 RT: it needed a lot of help under the front end. The steering was pretty mushy, and the bike would lean over far enough in the turns, that I thought it would touch down on the handlebar end-caps! :shocked:
So I put one of Ron's bars under the front end, and even went to a set of Elka shocks.
The difference was amazing!!
When I got my 2014: it was clear that the front end was MUCH better...
In fact; I kind of figure that it's about 90% as good as what my 2010 had, after I had done all of the work on it.
It's such a personal choice, that you'll really have to ride the bike for a while, and make your own decision about it...
For the record: I've got 17,000 miles on my 2014, and STILL haven't been able to decide! :banghead: