PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Backrest

Rando
04-09-2009, 08:07 PM
I am looking at getting a passenger backrest and was wondering if anyone has the backrest from Mel's Monster garage. Looking for reviews of that one and BRP's system.

jeuchler
04-09-2009, 08:21 PM
I am looking at getting a passenger backrest and was wondering if anyone has the backrest from Mel's Monster garage. Looking for reviews of that one and BRP's system.

Hey, Rando

I got the BRP backrest last spring, and yes, it's very expensive, and silly how you need to get a rack which becomes far less useful with the backrest installed.

At the time, it was pretty much the only game in town, and the lovely bride and I already had a trip planned.

Having said that, it's the most comfortable and secure she's been on any of our bikes since 1986. Now, we've never had a nice big Gold Wing, but have had a variety of other American and Japanese bikes, and she's never felt "held in" like on the Spyder with that backrest.

We don't change it often, but it's nice that it has a little bit of fore and aft adjustability. I like the look of the thing when riding solo, too.

I don't know if the price has increased, but it'd be great if you could pick one up off eBay or somewhere for less than MSRP.

Diggittt
04-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Rando,

I saw one on Ebay for $125 last night. If you look around you can find a deal. They have come down in price through the dealer also.

Diggittt

Questions
04-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Rando...I have the BRP set-up on my Spyder and my Wife does not like it!!I am looking for a replacement and plan to sell the BRP system. If you are interested,get back to me.

Thanks,Slim

Dudley
04-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Hey, Rando

I got the BRP backrest last spring, and yes, it's very expensive, and silly how you need to get a rack which becomes far less useful with the backrest installed.

At the time, it was pretty much the only game in town, and the lovely bride and I already had a trip planned.

Having said that, it's the most comfortable and secure she's been on any of our bikes since 1986. Now, we've never had a nice big Gold Wing, but have had a variety of other American and Japanese bikes, and she's never felt "held in" like on the Spyder with that backrest.

We don't change it often, but it's nice that it has a little bit of fore and aft adjustability. I like the look of the thing when riding solo, too.

I don't know if the price has increased, but it'd be great if you could pick one up off eBay or somewhere for less than MSRP.

My wife can for sure back you up on that one. The curve of the backrest helps her snuggle up and keeps her "held in". Definitely a factor for a passenger's enjoyment. We had the backrest installed before we drove the Spyder home. I have also heard of some who would rather have a less curved backrest. A backrest provides safety. Which backrest requires personal choice.