PDA

View Full Version : recording music question...

wyliec
12-24-2016, 09:16 AM
Does anyone record from radio stations on the internet to place the music on your iPod or other device? Up until a few years ago I used to record from Pandora, and then I'd transfer to my iPod or thumb drive for use in the car. Pandora no longer has a record button. So, I'm looking for alternative apps/software to record from Pandora for example. I'm okay with the sound from internet radio stations, and don't want to spend the money on iTunes for each song.

Olddood
12-24-2016, 10:42 AM
Hi: You may want to try a sound capture app. Lots of free ones out there. They capture any sound from your sound card. Save the files in MP3 format and play on your devices. Hope this is helpful. Have a good one.

Snowbelt Spyder
12-24-2016, 10:54 AM

Does anyone record from radio stations on the internet to place the music on your iPod or other device? Up until a few years ago I used to record from Pandora, and then I'd transfer to my iPod or thumb drive for use in the car. Pandora no longer has a record button. So, I'm looking for alternative apps/software to record from Pandora for example. I'm okay with the sound from internet radio stations, and don't want to spend the money on iTunes for each song.

Works with Windows or Mac. It's the one I have installed, although it may do way more than you need.

http://www.audacityteam.org

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-24-2016, 11:57 AM

Works with Windows or Mac. It's the one I have installed, although it may do way more than you need.

http://www.audacityteam.org
That's the one I was going to suggest. One of the input options will be your system sounds. It's been a long time since I recorded any downloads. I'm thinking with the advances in Digital Rights Management (DRM) even Audacity may not be able to directly record a download as it's taking place. I don't have Audacity installed or I'd give it a try. If that is the case you can try connecting a jumper from the line out to the line in on your sound card. Use a Y splitter to keep your speakers connected. That approach will cause some degradation as the digital download is converted to analog and then back to digital.

As Olddood says there are other audio programs out there, but Audacity is one of, if not the, best free one out there.

Have you checked out other music services? I believe some of them will allow you to download tracks or albums. Don't know about pricing, if any, other than a monthly subscription fee. Pandora has the broadest selection of music from what I've found, but reviews I seen have stated that other services have larger libraries in particular genres such a rock music.

Bfromla
12-24-2016, 02:49 PM

Sounds great but one problem is that apple keeps finding new ways to block non ITunes music:barf: So you may just have to find a MP3 & use the aux jack. Good luck:2thumbs:

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-24-2016, 07:32 PM
Sounds great but one problem is that apple keeps finding new ways to block non ITunes music:barf: So you may just have to find a MP3 & use the aux jack. Good luck:2thumbs:
How long have they been doing that? :dontknow: The reason I ask is I have about 4000 songs on my two iPods, ripped off of CDs and installed on the iPod by iTunes. Not a single iTunes purchased song in the bunch! :thumbup:

Bfromla
12-25-2016, 01:03 AM
How long have they been doing that? :dontknow: The reason I ask is I have about 4000 songs on my two iPods, ripped off of CDs and installed on the iPod by iTunes. Not a single iTunes purchased song in the bunch! :thumbup:

If an up to date itunes Did the transfer that does work. But transferring just mp3's (recorded not purchased) around as the OP was asking, that is a where the copyright issue comes into play & where the problem shows

trikermutha
12-25-2016, 11:15 AM
I used windows Media Player to rip to MP3 format and onto my MP3 player..

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-26-2016, 12:41 AM
Here's your answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIpH_jGjxhI

I just did it using Firefox. Had to look for the Network button and had to right click on the track in the second window to get the "Save as" option, but it worked. It saves as mpeg format which loads into iTunes just fine. You do have to manually input the artist, album, etc. into the info box. Make sure to use the song title for the save as filename.

My iTunes is version 12.