PDA

View Full Version : RECOMENDATION WANTED FOR ADJUSTABLE FRONT SHOCKS

FieldTester
12-19-2016, 08:40 PM
I have a 2016 RT Special and have added the Baha-Ron Sway Bar and a Laser Alignment.

I usually ride without a passenger and still have some diving on the front end around turns even with the new sway bar.

It was mentioned to me to add a set of firmer adjustable shocks and would like some help from you in choosing them.

Also, is a new toe adjustment required after replacement ?

Thanks for help with this.

fjray
12-19-2016, 09:10 PM
The shocks will probably change ride heigth which will affect toe in. Good idea to have it checked.

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-19-2016, 11:26 PM
I have a 2016 RT Special and have added the Baha-Ron Sway Bar and a Laser Alignment.

I usually ride without a passenger and still have some diving on the front end around turns even with the new sway bar.

It was mentioned to me to add a set of firmer adjustable shocks and would like some help from you in choosing them.

Also, is a new toe adjustment required after replacement ?

Thanks for help with this.
Considering the better Sway Bar ...... could you be LATE braking to far - at or into the turn or do you think weight is a factor ( not intended to be nasty with my comment ) ...... just a thought ................... TOE adjustment would be advised depending on how much the Frame to ground distance changes ...... Ask SpyderAnn - She's an expert ...... Mike :thumbup:

Chupaca
12-20-2016, 12:49 AM
If you have the non-adjustable shocks you can get stiffners or add the adjusters front BajaRon. If you have maxed out on adjustments try Race Tech or Elka, Fox or Progressive. Check the sponsor/vendors here...:thumbup:

jcthorne
12-20-2016, 05:43 AM
For most RT riders, we suggest adding the Baja Ron adjusters to the stock spring/shock assembly. This firms up the spring rate enough that most RT riders are very pleased with the handling. The next step up is a set of Elka shocks and they will customize the spring rates and adjustments to your riding style and weight. Its a big jump up in price though. I love the Elka's and have a set on my F3 but for most, the adjusters are a huge improvement for a lot less money.

As to your original question, comparing Fox to Elka, they are both a step up from stock Sachs shocks but the Elka are much more controlled and progressive. Having had both on my F3, I much preferred the Elka.

taxmyzer
12-20-2016, 06:53 AM
I went with the Elka's on my 13RT-S and love the ride.:2thumbs::2thumbs: NOT cheap though!

Bob Denman
12-20-2016, 08:39 AM
Hi Carl!
I agree with JC... :thumbup: Try adding Ron's preload adjusters to the stock shocks (While you're having your alignment checked at the same time!)
It's a lot less-expensive option, and we already know a GREAT place to have this work done. :D
(Ron & Derek added mine...)

south GA Farm Boy
12-20-2016, 10:55 AM
Adding more air pressure to your front two tires can make a high difference in corning, especially in mountains riding! Something you may look at! You know cold weather air pressure is different from warm weather air pressure!

FieldTester
12-21-2016, 08:40 AM
Thanks all, I did not know about the Baha Ron adjusters. I will get in touch with Derrick on them as a start.

Mike, late braking could be my issue as well. Ed and I are always exploring new mountain roads and I tend to sightsee when I should be watching for sharp turns !! Many a time I have one of those "Oh Sh*T" moments. :D