PDA

View Full Version : Goodrich Tire

Roadster Renovations
12-18-2016, 09:48 PM
I have been looking for a good tire for the F3 and I'm wondering about this all season tire. It is a little more money, but I like the uniformity of the tread pattern. It is the same on both sides, so it *should* corner the same on both sides. Most of the other tires I have looked at have a diagonal pattern top one side to bottom of the other side. I'm think that might cause issues in the twisties. Here is the tire. Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152356488177

Warlock
12-18-2016, 10:14 PM
I have been looking for a good tire for the F3 and I'm wondering about this all season tire. It is a little more money, but I like the uniformity of the tread pattern. It is the same on both sides, so it *should* corner the same on both sides. Most of the other tires I have looked at have a diagonal pattern top one side to bottom of the other side. I'm think that might cause issues in the twisties. Here is the tire. Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152356488177

Run that tire on a Goldwing trike. Different size, but didn't like the tire. Didn't have good grip in wet conditions. Will probably get good mileage out of it. Also think it is a RWL on one side.

David

4 MARIE
12-18-2016, 10:14 PM
did you say that it is UNI-directional?
It looks okay, the tread blocks are maybe a little smaller than some. but unless
you are dragracing, prob. not too important.
Also, I bet it sheds water like a duck's back, which is a good thing on a spyder.

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-18-2016, 11:04 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152356488177 Doc, this tire doesn't even come close in the performance ratings compared to the General Altimax RT43 in same size and it's $ 75.00 more than the General ...... good luck, Mike :thumbup:

Roadster Renovations
12-18-2016, 11:35 PM
Doc, this tire doesn't even come close in the performance ratings compared to the General Altimax RT43 in same size and it's $ 75.00 more than the General ...... good luck, Mike :thumbup:

I am looking for some uniformity (side to side) in the tread pattern. The Hydroedge I have on the RT has 27K on it, grips like crazy, and still probably has another 5k with Kathy ryding 1 up. The tread on that tire is the same both sides. The Altimax has that weird diagonal pattern.

Here is the Hydoedge tread pattern:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICHELIN-Tire-P-215-60R-15-120T-HYDROEDGE-All-Season-Fuel-Efficient-/302073474138?hash=item4654fb6c5a:g:0B4AAOSwCGVX2W6 Y&vxp=mtr

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-19-2016, 01:09 AM
I am looking for some uniformity (side to side) in the tread pattern. The Hydroedge I have on the RT has 27K on it, grips like crazy, and still probably has another 5k with Kathy ryding 1 up. The tread on that tire is the same both sides. The Altimax has that weird diagonal pattern.

Here is the Hydoedge tread pattern:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICHELIN-Tire-P-215-60R-15-120T-HYDROEDGE-All-Season-Fuel-Efficient-/302073474138?hash=item4654fb6c5a:g:0B4AAOSwCGVX2W6 Y&vxp=mtr
So what's really important is what it looks like ...... not whether it will save your life in the rain :banghead::banghead::banghead: .......PS, I would have recommended the Hydro-edge but they dis-continued it..............Mike :thumbup::thumbup:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
12-19-2016, 08:13 AM
I will not talk about putting car tires on a spyder but what i will say is i have stopped selling bfg this year. i have, over the years
had many problems with uniformity & balancing on bfg & warranty issues(they don't want to warranty their product). Since i do
road force balance at my place i see it in many tires but bfg has a much higher then average rate & there has been many times i
had to go through 8 or 10 tires just to get 4 to pass (mostly radial t/a & all terrain).

Bob Denman
12-19-2016, 08:23 AM
:shocked: Are we worrying too much about "How many Angels can dance on the head of a pin?" :shocked:
Would any of us push our bikes to where an asymmetrical tread pattern, might make a difference? :dontknow:

jcthorne
12-19-2016, 08:25 AM
225/60 15 is too tall anyway.

What is it you do not like about the Yokohama S-Drive? It works very well on the spyder and has the symmetrical tread pattern you are asking about.

Roadster Renovations
12-19-2016, 08:36 AM
I will not talk about putting car tires on a spyder but what i will say is i have stopped selling bfg this year. i have, over the years
had many problems with uniformity & balancing on bfg & warranty issues(they don't want to warranty their product). Since i do
road force balance at my place i see it in many tires but bfg has a much higher then average rate & there has been many times i
had to go through 8 or 10 tires just to get 4 to pass (mostly radial t/a & all terrain).

Thanks. Good to know.

Roadster Renovations
12-19-2016, 08:39 AM

What is it you do not like about the Yokohama S-Drive? It works very well on the spyder and has the symmetrical tread pattern you are asking about.

I'll check it out. I was able to find a Hydroedge, so I will go with that. We'll see how well the tire has aged. It is about 4 year sold. Since it will be: Ran at a much lower pressure and have significantly less weight on it, it should be fine.

dlby
12-19-2016, 03:25 PM
Yokahama s drive
Enough said
Its a sport tyre
Not car or bike only
Sport machines
I love mine

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

airtire
12-19-2016, 09:46 PM

I'm surprised you have a lot of trouble with BFG. BFG is a Michelin product and they are usually over and above the others when it comes to product quality.

Peter Aawen
12-19-2016, 11:37 PM
I'm surprised you have a lot of trouble with BFG. BFG is a Michelin product and they are usually over and above the others when it comes to product quality.

There was a time that the BFG brand was held in that sort of high esteem here in Aus too, especially amongst 4WD'ers, where BFG provided a well made, very capable, strong, & long lasting range of tires for just about any/all conditions the recreational 4Wheeler was likely to meet... then in the mid 90's they started making changes that sorta suggested the owners may have been moving their 'marketing goals' for that 'brand' from basically providing a well made product that did the job very well in all respects more towards satisfying the 'uneducated demands' of the young upwardly mobile mob with little experience who had money to burn & wanted the 'tuff image' at any cost over serious performance, tire life, &/or capability!! I was told (to my face) by one of their senior reps here that they (& I'm pretty much quoting) 'were no longer trying to satisfy those of you who want capable performing & long lasting puncture resistant tires'; that we were no longer their target market, they were now targeting 'those drivers with no idea about real 'tire performance' but who have disposable income & consider image more important than quality or capability!!' :shocked:

Nowadays, funnily enough, altho there certainly are a fair number of them around (4WD's, especially dual cab utes, make up over 25% of our new car market, & very few run 'stock tires' for long!!) most 4WD'ers here who run BFG's are pretty much seen mainly in the cities & largely considered 'wannabe 4Wheelers who are really just tossers with more money than sense'; while Michelin still have the good reputation backed by quality products that do the job well, but here, that comes at a price!! And BFG road tires for anything have pretty much disappeared from the retail market!! I don't know how much of that marketing strategy transfers back to the 'States, but I suspect there'd be a fair bit of cross-over?!? :sour:

Mississippi Rambler
12-20-2016, 02:58 AM

What size in the Yoko S Drive works well on the F3 S?

thanks,
eddie

jcthorne
12-20-2016, 05:34 AM
What size in the Yoko S Drive works well on the F3 S?

thanks,
eddie

205/55-15
Despite the nominal size numbers, its physical dimensions are a near exact replacement for the oem tire. Yoko sport tires tend to run wider than their size numbers and Kenda, well, they are all over the place.

taxmyzer
12-20-2016, 07:03 AM
Yoko S-Drive.:2thumbs::2thumbs: Had this tire installed this past September and like it better than the Kumho It replaced.

3whlLefty
12-22-2016, 07:45 PM
I've been running the radial T/A's on my '02 Blazer for years and love them. They are quiet, grip well and wear great. Got over 50K miles on one set. They do have raised white letters on one side. Not sure if you can avoid that.

On my RS SE5 I'm running the Altimax RT43's and I would not call them directional or asymetrical. I run 19psi front and 28psi rear and they are smooth and track well. I haven't pushed the cornering over 80% so can't talk about what will happen when they have to lose grip. I also hope to never find out.

I like them. I think they just might outlast me. :)

Now, it I could just figure out where all the rest of that vibration comes from. It's my 1st V-twin. I expect any of the tires talked about here on SL will do fine.

Mississippi Rambler
12-22-2016, 10:07 PM
Yoko S-Drive.:2thumbs::2thumbs: Had this tire installed this past September and like it better than the Kumho It replaced.

Thanks guys....this was exactly what I was interested in knowing.....ordered my first (of many I hope) Yokohama S Drive rear tire today and it will be here Saturday from Tire Rack. Now that is fast turnaround.

Merry Christmas to all of you!

Eddie

Warlock
12-22-2016, 10:29 PM
Thanks guys....this was exactly what I was interested in knowing.....ordered my first (of many I hope) Yokohama S Drive rear tire today and it will be here Saturday from Tire Rack. Now that is fast turnaround.

Merry Christmas to all of you!

Eddie

Now you need to find someone to mount it:cheers:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
12-23-2016, 09:40 AM

since i do road force balancing here i see a lot of tire issues that others would not see, where some would think it has to be a
rim issue because the tire is new so the tire has to be good. i am very familiar with radial runouts & tolerances in a tire & rim
and bfg especially radial t/a has for decades had problems & in the 90's had a silent recall.

the2pid1
12-23-2016, 10:48 AM
I've just changed from Yokahama tires on my Subaru to the newly designed Generals. The Yokahamas were great tires, better in the snow, long lasting too. The new Generals are better riding tires. That said I just bought a new back tire for my Spyder and it's the S Drive Yokohama. Now it's a set of new Kenda's on the front and the new S Drive Yokohama on the back.