PDA

View Full Version : cable tv

wyliec
12-15-2016, 09:28 AM
This isn't a question about whether you've given up watching tv. Has anyone gone from paying a monthly cable bill to purchasing an android tv box, which works with an internet connection, and no monthly charge except for the internet? I'm just wondering what you may consider the best Kodi app or non-Kodi app? And, yes I know there are those that say there is too much drivel on tv; but, there are sports stations, and I do get to watch the BBC network (with its period dramas) and a VPN.

Bob Denman
12-15-2016, 09:38 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm9gSrOy0-4

jcthorne
12-15-2016, 09:45 AM
We gave up the CATV subscription some 10 years ago and use a whole home Tivo system along with an Amazon Fire TV at our vacation home. I run a Plex server containing some 40,000 tv episodes and 8000 movies I have collected from various sources over the years. All is accessible from every tv we own at both locations. Never a shortage of programming both current and archival to watch.

I have used Kodi in the past and while it is a nice front end, Plex is a far better server and indexer. There is a plex plug in for Kodi if you prefer the kodi front end to the plex client available for most PCs Android and Apple devices and smart tvs.

Android TV alone is fine for streaming local and internet content but has no real provisions for live content and local news. You need an OTA tuner of some sort. Tivo and Silicon Dust are the two major players for networked OTA devices.

wyliec
12-15-2016, 11:06 AM
I have used Kodi in the past and while it is a nice front end, Plex is a far better server and indexer. There is a plex plug in for Kodi if you prefer the kodi front end to the plex client available for most PCs Android and Apple devices and smart tvs.

Android TV alone is fine for streaming local and internet content but has no real provisions for live content and local news. You need an OTA tuner of some sort. Tivo and Silicon Dust are the two major players for networked OTA devices.

I have plex, but you have to download to it; at least that's the way it works for the free plex. I do have a UST app which I downloaded to Kodi, and it is live tv and the news.

dlby
12-15-2016, 03:14 PM
Roku
Netflix & amazon
1000s of options to watch
Plus many others like acorn etc that i check out time to time.

Also can watch all this on my phone or tablet anywhere

Also have all local through cheapest cable option

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

dlby
12-15-2016, 03:16 PM
4- 8 local stations can be picked up wi antenna for those who only have Internet for Roku

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!