PDA

View Full Version : 3000 Miles First Service

Papahoosh
12-15-2016, 09:00 AM
Picked up my bike from the Brandon Barney for its 1st service and I am going to assume they did all these things, if so glad I purchased the service maintenance contract with them. They said unlimited oil change and four major service maintenance included for the 3 years. I am sure I got screwed somewhere but since I am not too handy I thought it was worth getting it since I've seen lot of posting people complaining how difficult it is to do some of the basic maintenance on Can-Am. I have a GL1800 that I do all maintenance on it myself including Air Filter change which is very time consuming if you have/had Goldwing you know what I mean.
Bottom line is the bike is healthy and ready for more miles to be put on her.
So far I am happy with Brandon Barney.

Bob Denman
12-15-2016, 09:09 AM
:congrats: :2thumbs:
How much did they charge you for this service?

Papahoosh
12-15-2016, 09:53 AM
:congrats: :2thumbs:
How much did they charge you for this service?

Didn't cost me anything since I bought VIP service maintenance. it would have been $322.01

Bob Denman
12-15-2016, 09:57 AM
:shocked: It must have taken the coffee too long, to kick in this morning... ;)
That still seems to be a reasonable price, for what they do. :thumbup:

Bruiser37
12-15-2016, 09:59 AM
Picked up my bike from the Brandon Barney for its 1st service and I am going to assume they did all these things, if so glad I purchased the service maintenance contract with them. They said unlimited oil change and four major service maintenance included for the 3 years. I am sure I got screwed somewhere but since I am not too handy I thought it was worth getting it since I've seen lot of posting people complaining how difficult it is to do some of the basic maintenance on Can-Am. I have a GL1800 that I do all maintenance on it myself including Air Filter change which is very time consuming if you have/had Goldwing you know what I mean.
Bottom line is the bike is healthy and ready for more miles to be put on her.
So far I am happy with Brandon Barney.

I have owned many motorcycles over the years and you raise a valid question. Most if not all Can-AM dealerships across the country also sell and service many brands & models. I found BRP Spyders take up a very small corner on showroom floors crowded with a multitude of many other motorcycle brands & models. In spite of what they claim about BRP requiring "factory trained technicians" to be "official BRP" dealers I question quality and knowledge of these guys. I visited many Phoenix, Tucaon, Arizona dealerships before I purchased my 2016 F3-T Spyder and found many service department techs,managers and sales people knew less about Spyders than I and that's saying a lot because I don't know much either.

Having just come off 2 wheel touring motorcycles I learned Spyders are a much different machine and in many ways a lot more complex than 2 wheels.My advice is learn all you can and question service performed over next 3 years. I do because we paid a lot for that service contract. I think many Spyder service points are fluff in print designed to make you think the coast was worth it. You will quickly learn most important and critical service points that must never be ignored.

marty1096
12-15-2016, 10:26 AM
$322.31 with install of skid plate.
After getting a quote of almost $500.00 from purchasing dealership. It pays to call around. This dealer service dept came and picked it and skid plate up. I picked it up next morning. Easy. Make sure you take owner manual there is a place for service dept to sign that they did the required inspections on a first service.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161215/a861774d9f1c9e6a6be04bf9139f7d7d.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161215/c717e23461631c04991cde49afdffcb5.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Pirate looks at --
12-15-2016, 10:36 AM
My dealer told me it was a waste to buy the service contract as the routine maintenance on the 1330 was so inexpensive that the service contract would cost me more than I would get out of it. We paid about $300+ change for the 3000 mile service, ad it won't need servicing again until we get to 12,000!👍

Chupaca
12-15-2016, 10:51 AM
If possible get to know the tech that does the work on your ryde. He is the only one that will know what was done and how well for all the rest haven't a clue and depend on the tech. Most service writers are not tech's so they will not know much and the rest of the staff don't take the time to check up on what is being done. As mentioned above, most BRP dealers are multibrand dealers and spyders are not the main one. Tech's will gravitate to the best shop rate brand to make the most out of their work. I worked way too many years for dealer and ran shops so I have seen the insides of this world. There are good shops in bad dealerships and bad shops in good dealerships so really reasearch the shop well....:lecturef_smilie: Maintenance contracts may seem way too much to all those who can do the work but in the end are not that bad if you add up all the costs during that period. The rough part is paying in advance that always hurts cause at that time you are paying for nothing but write down that figure and subtract each service as you go and you will see the true cost.

dieselengine9
12-15-2016, 11:00 AM
We turned down the service contract initially for our spyders and so far I don't think our service costs have been out of line based on what I've seen here and from asking around. I was told I could buy it later as well. I just might. I asked my servicing dealer about the charge for future service costs and at around 12000 to 14000 miles (foggy old mind can't remember things exactly) there is a service that will cost about $1400 :shocked:

Doing the math it would be cheaper for me to purchase the service contract at around 9000 miles to cover that one and 3 more.

My ride is a '15 RSS, anyone know why that service stop would be so high?

Papahoosh
12-15-2016, 11:45 AM
The reason I am able to do the maintenance on my Goldwing is because I purchased the Maintenance DVD from the person who made it, he goes in great details how everything gets done down to what screw to remove what things to watch for. I was not able to find similar thing for Spyders (RT). The maintenance book doesn't go in details either.
Some people are born with talent and know these things, some people need help on how to do these things, and some people don't want to deal with these things at all. I guess I am in the middle and didn't want to take the chance messing something up that would cost me more for what I wanted to get it done.
maybe someday I get familiar with these bikes. However, I agree with "Bruiser37", I should learn all I can and question service performed on my bike.

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-15-2016, 12:12 PM
The reason I am able to do the maintenance on my Goldwing is because I purchased the Maintenance DVD from the person who made it, he goes in great details how everything gets done down to what screw to remove what things to watch for. I was not able to find similar thing for Spyders (RT). The maintenance book doesn't go in details either.
Some people are born with talent and know these things, some people need help on how to do these things, and some people don't want to deal with these things at all. I guess I am in the middle and didn't want to take the chance messing something up that would cost me more for what I wanted to get it done.
maybe someday I get familiar with these bikes. However, I agree with "Bruiser37", I should learn all I can and question service performed on my bike.
You can get the RT service manual on DVD from a few different sources for about $25.00 ...... in-valuable .......Mike :thumbup:

ARtraveler
12-15-2016, 04:07 PM
To dieselengine#9 RE: Service on 15 RSS

The 990 engine is supposed to have a valve check service at 14,000 miles. The cost for that part of the service is about $800. Add in the usual $350 or so and you are getting into that ballpark.

My history: Did the valve check on my 2008 at 12,000 miles. $800 plus and no adjustments were needed.

Waited until 28,000 miles on my 2010 RT. No adjustments needed. $800. They did not put in a new gasket and it leaked oil over the winter lay up. They had to re-do it on their dime in the spring.

My 2011 has 24,000 miles on it. I am going to wait until 50,000 miles or so and "think" about it.

The 2014 (1330 x 3) no longer requires valve check service.

It's your money--spend it your way. :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-15-2016, 04:33 PM
To dieselengine#9 RE: Service on 15 RSS

The 990 engine is supposed to have a valve check service at 14,000 miles. The cost for that part of the service is about $800. Add in the usual $350 or so and you are getting into that ballpark.

My history: Did the valve check on my 2008 at 12,000 miles. $800 plus and no adjustments were needed.

Waited until 28,000 miles on my 2010 RT. No adjustments needed. $800. They did not put in a new gasket and it leaked oil over the winter lay up. They had to re-do it on their dime in the spring.

My 2011 has 24,000 miles on it. I am going to wait until 50,000 miles or so and "think" about it.

The 2014 (1330 x 3) no longer requires valve check service.

It's your money--spend it your way. :thumbup:
It has been reported here by many owners that the valves have not needed any adjustments below 75,000 miles ......imho, the dealers know this and never check them - just charge you for doing so :lecturef_smilie::banghead: ..... Mike :thumbup:

JayBros
12-15-2016, 05:27 PM
I paid $255 and pocket change for the 3,000 mile service almost 22 months ago.

Tazzel
12-15-2016, 05:52 PM
My dealer told me it was a waste to buy the service contract as the routine maintenance on the 1330 was so inexpensive that the service contract would cost me more than I would get out of it. We paid about $300+ change for the 3000 mile service, ad it won't need servicing again until we get to 12,000!��

I thought there was another service at 9300 and every 6k miles after that? Anyway my Spyder dealer did not offer a maintenance package. I paid less then 200.00 for both the 3k and 9300 services.

ARtraveler
12-15-2016, 11:35 PM
It has been reported here by many owners that the valves have not needed any adjustments below 75,000 miles ......imho, the dealers know this and never check them - just charge you for doing so :lecturef_smilie::banghead: ..... Mike :thumbup:

That has also been my opinion (voiced a couple times), that sleezy dealers have probably milked a few people along the way. In both cases, I saw mine when it was torn down. A cheap and easy extra buck for the dealer if they decide to take the low road. :yes:

Bam Bam and Pebbles
12-16-2016, 01:43 AM
I thought there was another service at 9300 and every 6k miles after that? Anyway my Spyder dealer did not offer a maintenance package. I paid less then 200.00 for both the 3k and 9300 services.

You can go 9300 miles between oil changes, which makes the next service at 12,300 miles. I paid $200 dollars for my 3000 service, but I provided the oil. My dealer also did not offer the maintenance package, but I would not have gotten it anyway since I will be doing my own maintenance on Cocaine.

JayBros
12-16-2016, 08:10 AM

Check your owner's manual, begins on pg. 20 in the 2014. The second service is 9,300 miles after the initial 3,000 mile one and it's specified as 9,300 or one year, whichever comes first; however, there are some quirks in the schedule like air filter replacement at 19,000, hydraulic control module, emissions canister pre-filter and spark plugs at 28,000, and coolant every 5 years.

SpyderAnn01
12-16-2016, 10:15 PM
$322.31 with install of skid plate.
After getting a quote of almost $500.00 from purchasing dealership. It pays to call around. This dealer service dept came and picked it and skid plate up. I picked it up next morning. Easy. Make sure you take owner manual there is a place for service dept to sign that they did the required inspections on a first service.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161215/a861774d9f1c9e6a6be04bf9139f7d7d.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161215/c717e23461631c04991cde49afdffcb5.jpg

Now you need to get down on the ground and look at your new skid plate. Did Ride Now install the 2 bolts in the frame? Did they remove the factory bumpskid before they put the new one on? We just redid the install on two RTs that Ride Now in Las Vegas installed because they didn't install the bolts and they didn't remove the original one.

SpyderAnn01
12-16-2016, 10:20 PM
My dealer told me it was a waste to buy the service contract as the routine maintenance on the 1330 was so inexpensive that the service contract would cost me more than I would get out of it. We paid about $300+ change for the 3000 mile service, ad it won't need servicing again until we get to 12,000!👍

They might lose money on me! I remember when Docdoru had the unlimited service contract on his 08 GS he about put the dealer out of business. But you are right it would be a waste for most people.

marty1096
12-17-2016, 01:01 AM
Now you need to get down on the ground and look at your new skid plate. Did Ride Now install the 2 bolts in the frame? Did they remove the factory bumpskid before they put the new one on? We just redid the install on two RTs that Ride Now in Las Vegas installed because they didn't install the bolts and they didn't remove the original one.
Yes, they returned the original dinky skid plate. Yes they bolted my new bumper skid plate to the frame. No I don't have any oil leaks. While I had problems with another ride now...This Surprise Ride Now is a better service/better per hr prices dealership. I don't know about sales. I purchased from Apache Power Sports. Thanks for the info.

Check your owner's manual, begins on pg. 20 in the 2014. The second service is 9,300 miles after the initial 3,000 mile one and it's specified as 9,300 or one year, whichever comes first; however, there are some quirks in the schedule like air filter replacement at 19,000, hydraulic control module, emissions canister pre-filter and spark plugs at 28,000, and coolant every 5 years.