PDA

View Full Version : Do we have anyone doing 3D printing?

pitzerwm
12-12-2016, 01:49 PM
I have a CNC router which I bought a few months ago and haven't done much with it yet and I don't have a clue. I am going to the local college to learn the software, so I anticipate making great things soon.

While I was looking around I decided to buy a 3D printer of course not having a clue what I would do with it. Since there are a lot of "projects" out there on the web, I have been printing a number of things. Just interested in sharing ideas with anyone else playing with one.

ThreeWheels
12-12-2016, 01:56 PM
I'm looking for a copy of the America's cup.
Knowing, of course that it wouldn't be full scale.
I'm thinking there has to be some software that can render a series of photos into a 3d image, and then print it.
You'd think you could buy a replica, but I can't seem to find anything other than a 1" tie tack. Which I have, of course.

Bob Denman
12-12-2016, 02:18 PM
How big of a thing can you print with it? :dontknow:
(I'm thinking about body panels for the Spyders...)

trikermutha
12-12-2016, 02:44 PM
depends on how big of 3D printer you can afford. The smaller units make small things. Maybe even body panels with the right size printer :thumbup:

Other things to consider.

Replacement spool costs
And as mentioned above knowledge of how to use
Speed of the printer.Could take a very long time depending how detailed the print is.

JimVonBaden
12-12-2016, 03:00 PM
This is a great place to get ideas. They even offer a lot of templates you can print at home. Or you can get them to print it for you. Might be a good place to get that full sized copy of the America's Cup.

http://www.shapeways.com/

ARtraveler
12-12-2016, 03:11 PM
I am watching with interest. :bowdown::bowdown:

Bob Denman
12-12-2016, 03:31 PM
depends on how big of 3D printer you can afford. The smaller units make small things. Maybe even body panels with the right size printer :thumbup:

Other things to consider.

Replacement spool costs
And as mentioned above knowledge of how to use
Speed of the printer.Could take a very long time depending how detailed the print is.

I've heard of units that can scan an object, and "print" it.
This would be a cool way to create speaker grilles in custom colors! :clap:

pitzerwm
12-12-2016, 07:09 PM
I lucked out, a friend of mine had a Robox and I watched it work etc, and on Black Friday it was less than half price $507 vs $12-$1300. It truly is a plug and play unit, I was printing within 15-20 minutes of unboxing it. The Prusa has great reviews. A heated, auto leveling bed IMO is a must. An enclosed unit, keeps the temperature more stable, which makes printing more reliable.

I can print about 8"x6"x4". Cost of the main used filament (PAL) is about $25 and you can print a lot of stuff with a roll. There are more and more colors and types of filaments being developed and the cost of the units are coming down. One machine that IMO you want to avoid are the ones that you are locked into their filament only.

Trbayth
12-13-2016, 09:03 AM
For a review of a couple of 3D printers and some other gift ideas for a Maker:

https://twit.tv/shows/know-how/episodes/268?autostart=false