PDA

View Full Version : Rain gear and helmets

Brentc
12-11-2016, 08:17 AM
Ive only been caught, in one rain event so my experience is limited but I'm planning a longer trip and am looking into rain gear. I have an aerostitch one piece suit so I'm all set in cooler wet weather and have a two piece mesh setup for warmer weather that is not waterproof. I ride with a schuberth helmet which is a high rising helmet in the rear leaving my neck exposed more than a typical helmet. so regardless of which base gear I have on I have the bare neck to contend with and I wanted to ask if anyone rides with one of the hooded jacket or suits using the hood under your helmet and if so how does it work and feel?
On a related note, I'd appreciate and feedback on one piece and two piece suits. I'm contemplating possibly a waterproof balaclava that goes over the jacket to keep out the rain and then could do a one piece suit or two piece suit.

Bob Denman
12-11-2016, 09:26 AM
Hi Brent,
If you can find raingear with an included hood; that'll solve the "wet neck" issue easily!
I prefer one-piece suits, because I firmly believe that water will find ANY way possible, to make an intrusion.
Let pieces, means less gaps.
Besides; it gives the other motorists fits of laughter, as I try to fight my way into it, under an overpass! :roflblack:
They don't know if I'm having a seizure of some sort, or just enjoying the music excessively! nojoke

d.o.spyder-rts
12-11-2016, 09:32 AM
I can't speak to the wearing a hood with a helmet, never tried it. I'm sure it's possible, the best way would be to try it and see how it works. It'll probably make the helmet fit tighter and less comfortable. As far as rain gear, I have a two piece frog togg and like it. The times I had to use it, it has kept me dry. A plus of a two piece is you can wear each piece individually as needed. Dale

Dan McNally
12-11-2016, 09:46 AM
Frogg Toggs have lots of options. I have a jacket that has a hood, rolled into the collar, that fits well, under my helmet when I wear it. I bought the jacket and pants large enough to fil over my other riding gear. I've been in many rain storms - some, torrential, and have always remained dry if I put the Frogg Toggs on before the rain started. The added advantage of Frogg Toggs is that the material "breathes" so if it is hot, out, you don't feel like you are in a sauna, like you do wearing the old rubber coated products.

Their "Road Toad" jacket and pants are affordable and good quality from my experience.

Large1
12-11-2016, 09:52 AM
Ive only been caught, in one rain event so my experience is limited but I'm planning a longer trip and am looking into rain gear. I have an aerostitch one piece suit so I'm all set in cooler wet weather and have a two piece mesh setup for warmer weather that is not waterproof. I ride with a schuberth helmet which is a high rising helmet in the rear leaving my neck exposed more than a typical helmet. so regardless of which base gear I have on I have the bare neck to contend with and I wanted to ask if anyone rides with one of the hooded jacket or suits using the hood under your helmet and if so how does it work and feel?
On a related note, I'd appreciate and feedback on one piece and two piece suits. I'm contemplating possibly a waterproof balaclava that goes over the jacket to keep out the rain and then could do a one piece suit or two piece suit.
My thoughts:
If your helmet fits you right your not going to want a hood on at the same time at least not for long, The waterproof balaclava would be a great idea.
In place of packing a extra full set of riding gear I start with the mesh gear with liners and carry a set of Frog Togs they don't take much room and easy to put on when needed.
Did a US 4 corner ride 2 years ago, Road in mid to high 90s 90% of the time (Mesh Gear) but on the last leg in WY it dropped to 34* with the liners in and the Rain gear on finished the ride a happy camper

Dan McNally
12-11-2016, 09:57 AM
The hood on the Frogg Toggs is very thin material, and I've had no problem putting my helmet over it - in fact, it goes on easier because my ears don't get in the way! :roflblack:

I've ridden as much as two full days in a row wearing the hood and had no problem.

Bob Denman
12-11-2016, 10:11 AM
My Missus has used her Frogg Toggs hood a couple of times, and was pretty darn happy with it. :thumbup:
(If she's on the Spyder, and it's raining: "Happy" is not a word that gets used much! :shocked:)

SpyderAnn01
12-11-2016, 11:25 AM
Why wouldn't you wear your Aerostitch one piece on your trips? I wear a textile jacket and Aerostitch pants when I travel, there is no need to change for rain. The most I have to do if it starts raining is change my gloves and take the sheepskin off my seat but if I think it might rain I would have left the sheepskin off to begin with.

Jimboregon
12-11-2016, 11:28 AM
I live on the Oregon Coast. I've riden in the wet numerous times, never experienced the wet neck like I did on the Spyder. Of course, our contact patch is at least twice as wide as on a 2 wheeler. Solution?
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161211/f922577f6a855a1bccde07f684280773.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

BigGuy66
12-11-2016, 11:33 AM
...Frog Toggs rain gear. They are two piece and have used just the pants when the road was a little wet but it wasn't raining on us. The integrated hood is really nice to use. They also pack into a pretty small bag and two suits are easy to stuff into the trunk. So for the Frog Toggs - :agree:
Jim

dlby
12-11-2016, 11:47 AM
Most rain gear ive had the hood fits under helmet ok but I prefer the wife to just pull it over my helmet when its raining and back off when it lets up

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Mazo EMS2
12-11-2016, 12:01 PM
A thin hood, under the helmet...works for me

Brentc
12-11-2016, 12:26 PM
Why wouldn't you wear your Aerostitch one piece on your trips? I wear a textile jacket and Aerostitch pants when I travel, there is no need to change for rain. The most I have to do if it starts raining is change my gloves and take the sheepskin off my seat but if I think it might rain I would have left the sheepskin off to begin with.

Ann, you are right and I plan on using the aerostitch suit if it's below 70, but above that it starts getting a Little to warm to wear and my lighter jacket and pa to aren't waterproof. So I'm mainly looking at a warm weather suit and something to cover my neck during cooler temps.

Empty Pockets
12-11-2016, 05:05 PM
I live on the Oregon Coast. I've riden in the wet numerous times, never experienced the wet neck like I did on the Spyder. Of course, our contact patch is at least twice as wide as on a 2 wheeler. Solution?
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161211/f922577f6a855a1bccde07f684280773.jpg

where did you find that mud flap

JimVonBaden
12-11-2016, 05:13 PM
Frogg Toggs have lots of options. I have a jacket that has a hood, rolled into the collar, that fits well, under my helmet when I wear it. I bought the jacket and pants large enough to fil over my other riding gear. I've been in many rain storms - some, torrential, and have always remained dry if I put the Frogg Toggs on before the rain started. The added advantage of Frogg Toggs is that the material "breathes" so if it is hot, out, you don't feel like you are in a sauna, like you do wearing the old rubber coated products.

Their "Road Toad" jacket and pants are affordable and good quality from my experience.
That is how I do it. I also get the basic set at 20% the cost of the Road Toad.

Jimboregon
12-11-2016, 05:18 PM
where did you find that mud flap
ORiley's Auto Parts. Just a generic mud flap. I cut off the fender piece to square it up, drilled two holes in the Spyder fender, and screwed it on.

Empty Pockets
12-11-2016, 05:40 PM
ORiley's Auto Parts. Just a generic mud flap. I cut off the fender piece to square it up, drilled two holes in the Spyder fender, and screwed it on.

Thanks

Jimboregon
12-11-2016, 05:43 PM
The screws are hidden under the Iron Butt frame.

philsteinhauser
12-11-2016, 07:58 PM
I use a Frog Togg two piece suit and find it protects me very well. The hood is thin enough that you don't notice it much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpyderAnn01
12-11-2016, 08:19 PM
Ann, you are right and I plan on using the aerostitch suit if it's below 70, but above that it starts getting a Little to warm to wear and my lighter jacket and pa to aren't waterproof. So I'm mainly looking at a warm weather suit and something to cover my neck during cooler temps.

Below 95 and I'm comfortable in my Aerostitch and textile Can-Am jacket. Much below 70 and I'm thinking about jacket liners or heated gear. :roflblack:

BajaRon
12-11-2016, 08:25 PM
Riding with a hooded jacket is the only way to go with rain gear. Works great. The hood is thin and you won't even notice it. You can move your head around as much as you like in any direction and your neck and back stays bone dry. Without the hood you're likely to get water where you don't want it.