PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Hitch

acpd22
12-10-2016, 08:36 PM
Why are these things so expensive. I just don't see paying all that money for these. I'm not an engineer by no means but I think I could make one of these for a $100 dollar bill. That would include powder coating. Are these made of some super secret G-13 classified metal that only come from a parallel universe?

Desert Spyder
12-10-2016, 08:44 PM
If you mean the BRP hitch I know what you mean. The costs of metal is probably $25. Bending and welding another $25. BRP label, $450.

PapaHotel
12-10-2016, 08:47 PM
4 x cost of production plus liability protection and your $100 goes right to $500 for the final MSRP. So they are right on target. However, there are some aftermarket ones under $280

asp125
12-10-2016, 09:10 PM
Welcome to the "BRP" effect.. much like the "Harley" effect - it's what the market will bear for a label. That, and possibly the fact there is not much competition for a niche market.

acpd22
12-10-2016, 09:28 PM
I would have never paid the $750.00 for the passenger backrest. Its amazing what a dealer will do when you get up out of the chair at the dealership and head for the door. I though Harley was bad. HD = $100.00, BRP = $$$$$$$ Even some of the aftermarket stuff like windshields. I bought the largest windshield made for my Goldwing and it was only $200.00 Don't get me wrong, I love my Spyder just wish people would go a little easier on these accessories. Don't mind people making money, just don't to make it all off of me (and you guys too).

acpd22
12-10-2016, 09:34 PM
Is the width at the rear wheel/frame wider on a F3 Limited than a RT? Reason I ask is Showchrome makes a hitch for the RT but does not list one for the F3 but the rear of both look the same.

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-10-2016, 09:59 PM
Why are these things so expensive. I just don't see paying all that money for these. I'm not an engineer by no means but I think I could make one of these for a $100 dollar bill. That would include powder coating. Are these made of some super secret G-13 classified metal that only come from a parallel universe?
:agree: , I agree - I'm a DIY'er also .... I've made a few and would put mine against any made...... I use 3inch X 1/8 th flat stock , the trick to bending straight and square is to score it with a cutting wheel first ,after bending it, you weld the cut line and weld gussets on the bends ..... comes out perfect every time ...... at $ 100.00 yours would be high priced ......just sayin....... Mike ......good luck :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

trikermutha
12-10-2016, 11:12 PM
Its all about Liability. Make your own and it causes damage your liable . BRP made the hitch they are liable. Just my 2 cents

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-10-2016, 11:35 PM
Its all about Liability. Make your own and it causes damage your liable . BRP made the hitch they are liable. Just my 2 cents
:agree: ..... with you 110%, But life itself is a Liability .... every breath you take is a liability...... How many absolutely 100 % BRP only Spyders do you think exist ?????? .... 10% 20 % ......... then all the rest are owned by people who are living on the WILD side :yes::yes::yes:..... read that liability side ....... just sayin .....and my post was meant more for " acpd22 " than anyone else Mike :thumbup:

trikermutha
12-10-2016, 11:51 PM
It was a general statement about home brewed things being made that can hurt/kill someone. :thumbup:

Anyway The hitch from BRP also comes with the converter Module and jacks up the price too.

baileydale
12-11-2016, 01:17 PM
It was a general statement about home brewed things being made that can hurt/kill someone. :thumbup:

Anyway The hitch from BRP also comes with the converter Module and jacks up the price too.

This statement reflects the sad state ofour world today.
If innovators through history had been afraid of law suits and total sheeple we would still be walking and using fire for heat and light. It become a sad sad world. :-(

acpd22
12-11-2016, 02:01 PM
Let me see if I can grasp this. Liability is increased due to manufacturing a hitch to go on a Spyder? That would be like my homeowners insurance going up because I had a sidewalk built and snow sticks to concrete before is sticks to the ground and someone could come visit and bust their tail and sue my insurance company. Don't mean to ruffle any feathers with anyone here but the liability defense is not a valid one. Something a little easier to grasp is the fact that Spyders are not as popular as other motorcycles on the road therefore there are fewer on the road. With that if you made a bunch of them, let's say 10,000 of them and had them in stock and only sold 5,000 Spyders in a year and then you changed the body style/design you would be stuck with them. Therefore we only produce 1000 of them and charge out the wazoo for them and BRP makes lots of money. Not knocking BRP, but I think that they could enjoy significant profit even if they sold the things for half of what they charge.

Bob Denman
12-11-2016, 02:33 PM
Listen is actually a pretty easy thing to understand...
:lecturef_smilie: Don't buy the BRP hitch!
Buy somebody else's and then go figure out the wiring connections, and make it work. :thumbup:
BRP's hitch comes with everything that you need; the others don't. :shocked:

Have fun, and then come back and tell us how happy you are over the money that you saved. nojoke

2dogs
12-11-2016, 03:21 PM
If most of us are willing to dole out 25k to 28k for a 3 wheeled scooter that's likely not worth more than say, 10k; then we're very likely to spend even more for a chunk of iron you can hold in one hand that will not enhance the scooter's value one iota. I guess you can say it's just human nature. After all if we have enough food and warmth to make us comfortable then the sky is no limit as to what well pay for enjoyment. Life is short, enjoy it while you can.

Roadster Renovations
12-11-2016, 03:27 PM
In my opinion some could be dangerous. An aftermarket manufacturer made a hitch for the F3S and it attaches at the 4 fender lugs. There is no way I would put that on my bike. I could see that breaking at the worst possible moment.

And as far as doing a sidewalk yourself and increasing liability, what if the concrete wasn't thick enough and cracked when it settled, leaving a lip that someone stumbled over and got hurt? If you do it yourself or for others, you cannot cut corners on safety and reliability.

2dogs
12-11-2016, 03:51 PM
In my opinion some could be dangerous. An aftermarket manufacturer made a hitch for the F3S and it attaches at the 4 fender lugs. There is no way I would put that on my bike. I could see that breaking at the worst possible moment.

And as far as doing a sidewalk yourself and increasing liability, what if the concrete wasn't thick enough and cracked when it settled, leaving a lip that someone stumbled over and got hurt? If you do it yourself or for others, you cannot cut corners on safety and reliability.

I got your adapter kit for the BRP idler yesterday. I ordered the BRP idler from our local dealer and was old that any damages to my bike do to the failure of the adapter or idler would NOT be covered by warrantee. So, anything we attach to your spyders that is not BRP and causes damage is in your/my shoulders. It's the same as the Harley thing.

Roadster Renovations
12-11-2016, 05:21 PM
I got your adapter kit for the BRP idler yesterday. I ordered the BRP idler from our local dealer and was old that any damages to my bike do to the failure of the adapter or idler would NOT be covered by warrantee. So, anything we attach to your spyders that is not BRP and causes damage is in your/my shoulders. It's the same as the Harley thing.

I figured they would do that. Wonder if they are going to cover the F3's when the idler pulley fails? I have had a question into BRP since they came out with the F3 kit asking what the warranty on their little pulley would be and would they service the pulley or will we have to replace the entire unit? :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow: Still waiting.......
And, betcha any installs for any of their kits that are not done by a dealer are out of luck also.:lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie::lecturef_s milie: Sell us a $35 kit and charge $180 to put it on....:mad::mad::mad:

It is what it is. We will warranty our adapter kits for life, as long as they are properly installed, they will never fail. The BRP portion of the kit? We cannot warranty their product.

(Lamonster, if I have overstepped my boundaries here, please delete this comment for me.):yikes:

trikermutha
12-11-2016, 05:34 PM
This statement reflects the sad state ofour world today.
If innovators through history had been afraid of law suits and total sheeple we would still be walking and using fire for heat and light. It become a sad sad world. :-(

That's the way things are you are correct and is sad.. Everyone is sue happy and companys/ individuals have to protect themselves from financial ruin.:dontknow:

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-11-2016, 05:47 PM
Its all about Liability.
And markups. Years ago I had a small print shop and did printing for a couple of brothers who made novelty type wood signs for retail sale. The retail price was $2.00. The wholesaler sold them to the local retailer at about 60% or about $1.20. Normal retail markup was about 40%, out of which came shipping and all the costs of operation, plus profit. The wholesaler would have paid about $0.72 to a jobber to buy them. Same thing about shipping, cost of business, etc. The jobber would have paid about 60%, or $0.43 to the brothers. If it cost the brothers 25 cents to make them that gave them a profit of 18 cents per sign, or about 10% of the retail price. The manufacturer makes the least amount of money on a product. The distribution companies make the most. And if BRP is the jobber and wholesaler, those phases of the business still cost money to operate.

Just know that retail pricing ain't simple, and of what seems like an awfully high price when we buy the product, the guy who makes it probably is making the least amount of money off of it.

I don't know what the normal markup rates are these days, but when you see businesses go belly up all over the place you can be sure that the combination of markup and volume isn't great enough to sustain them. And just to add a little perspective on this, and a bit of a rant, years ago the small corner store operator made enough money to allow his wife to stay home and take care of the kids, serve on the PTA, head up Cub Scouts, etc., etc., and still pay to send his kids to college. How many Walmart and Lowes clerks can afford to send their kids to college these days?

Peter Aawen
12-11-2016, 05:48 PM
..... only sold 5,000 Spyders in a year and then you changed the body style/design you would be stuck with them. Therefore we only produce 1000 of them and charge out the wazoo for them and BRP makes lots of money. Not knocking BRP, but I think that they could enjoy significant profit even if they sold the things for half of what they charge.

You're not wrong; and I really hafta agree with that next part of your post too - I reckon that if BRP only charged enough to make HALF the profit up front on most of their accessories, they'd probably sell FOUR TIMES as many of them & end up making twice as much money in the long run!! AND they'd likely end up with a significantly larger pool of happy & more supportive Spyder owners as a result!! Altho maybe they aren't interested in making more from their accessories & add-ons nor in developing a happier customer base? :shocked:

Admittedly, I can see that some of their pricing decisions might be aimed at building some degree of 'exclusivity' for their products by making them a bit less commonplace out there on the streets; but c'mon, when it comes to pricing add-on products & accessories, there's 'maintaining exclusivity & making a reasonable profit' and then there's 'cutting off your nose to spite your face'!! :rolleyes:

Bob Denman
12-11-2016, 06:01 PM
If you want to see things change: vote with your wallets! :thumbup:
They'll either get the message, or quit selling the bikes (And the Accessories...) due to lack of Sales... nojoke

wd8ajj
12-11-2016, 07:33 PM
y'all pick on BRP for high prices? Look at the auto market. just buy a OEM quick fastener from a dealer, 4.00 each. The aftermarket I got 10 for 3.95 and made by the same company. It's on all factory parts. Thats why there is a billion dollar after market industry.