PDA

View Full Version : Possible new owner

Road-Kill
12-10-2016, 11:52 AM
Hello everyone. I live in Pennsylvania USA and I'm considering purchasing a new 2016 or 2017 F3s. I have several reservations that have caused a delay over the last few months in its purchase. I test rode an F3s Special a few months ago but the dealer only took me a few miles on back roads, another dealer wouldn't even let me look at a new 2017 unless I bought it first as it was still in a crate. Here are my thoughts and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

1. The biggest reason I have not purchased a Spyder is the reliability of the machine.........are they reliable?
2. The service/maintenance/dealership (SUPPORT) seems VERY lacking. I feel like I am going to be screwed traveling to find a reputable dealer for any possible issues or for routine maintenance. BRP responded to an Email I sent them stating "All dealerships are privately owned....blah blah blah". I took that as saying screw you we have your money. Not very professional.
3. How does the Spyder track on the highway....does it wonder.
4. What are the general maintenance costs for someone who rides roughly 12,000 miles a year.

5. Can this bike handle extensive mileage?
Thanks for any feedback, Road-Kill

murphybrown
12-10-2016, 12:06 PM
Hello everyone. I live in Pennsylvania USA and I'm considering purchasing a new 2016 or 2017 F3s. I have several reservations that have caused a delay over the last few months in its purchase. I test rode an F3s Special a few months ago but the dealer only took me a few miles on back roads, another dealer wouldn't even let me look at a new 2017 unless I bought it first as it was still in a crate. Here are my thoughts and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

1. The biggest reason I have not purchased a Spyder is the reliability of the machine.........are they reliable?
2. The service/maintenance/dealership (SUPPORT) seems VERY lacking. I feel like I am going to be screwed traveling to find a reputable dealer for any possible issues or for routine maintenance. BRP responded to an Email I sent them stating "All dealerships are privately owned....blah blah blah". I took that as saying screw you we have your money. Not very professional.
4. What are the general maintenance costs for someone who rides roughly 12,000 miles a year.

I can only answer from my perception and experience. But remember on a forum such as this for some reason those with bad experiences seem to post 100 times more than the "happy camper" owner.
1. Realiable...I've ridden over 120k with nothing that couldn't be resolved. I am a long distance ryder and sometimes on the road for weeks at a time and I am sooooo not mechanical. (There are folks that ryde more than I...SpyderAnn for one..get their opinion)
2. I have to drive over 4+ hours to a certified dealer. But I have a local person who can change my oil, maintenance etc. Just not warranty work. Yep their are good techs and bad ones. Listen to what the folks say here. One example a few years back I broke down in TN...got on SL and said where to go...there was a dealer within 36 miles of me everyone said NO...so I had to have a little discussion with my roadside people that they really did want to take my ryde 170 miles to the realllly good dealer (and they were). Yep make sure you have a good roadside assistance program. Not BRP's for sure.
3. Tracking: Rolo Laser Alignment a must do..plus adding the Bajaron sway bar and learning how to keep a light touch. She tracks like on rails at highway and more speeds.
4. Maintenance fees hard to say...depends on you and what you do and what you hire done.
5. Define extensive mileage. My definition based on my travels (ave 20k annual)...I say YEP.
Well off to be a merry bell ringer for Salvation Army. Have a great weekend and you are on the right site for the best and most helpful people in the world. And they do have opinions...yep and they have belly buttons, so you are dealing with humans!!:thumbup::yes:

PrairieSpyder
12-10-2016, 12:35 PM

:welcome:
I think finding a good dealer is key to your ownership experience. If a dealer says you have to buy, first, go somewhere else.

IMO, the reliability of the Spyders has just gotten better. Over the years, BRP learns from issues owners have had and the machines have really improved. I've not heard of any particular issues with the F3s.
If only Can-Am had a dealer network like Harley's. For warranty work, a dealer with a good tech is essential. Spyderlovers in your region can help you with recommendations.
I agree with MurphyBrown about getting a Rollo laser alignment. You'll probably want to add a BajaRon anti-sway bar, too, but it shouldn't be essential to good tracking on a highway, all other things considered. The quality of the dealer's build of the machine out of the crate is important.
The service interval for the Spyders with the 1330 triple is 3,000 miles for the first service and then about every 10,000 miles after that. So you shouldn't need to see mechanic all that often!
There are a few Spyderlovers here who have over 100k miles on their machines. Others of us succumb to the upgrade bug and trade for new ones before that!

Road-Kill
12-10-2016, 03:14 PM
I'm taking your feedback serious. The roadside was another factor I did not mention. So BRP offers 2 year roadside yet you say to look somewhere else?.....interesting. I was considering AMA for my current ride and will consider it even more. The support aspect of deciding to buy will be the killer....or not. I'm not thrilled at all with BRPs attitude. Their email response was literally a brush off letter which left me aghast. I see the Spyder as a means of extreme adventure travel. I have done many long distance 6,000 plus mile trips without a glitch (except my Harley). In my travels I've notice the vultures circle when a bike had issues and there was no escape route for the owner. This is why reliability is a major concern. Keep the feedback coming, its making me think. Thanks

bodymanpainter
12-10-2016, 03:24 PM
I have owned 4 Spyders to date and have had no issues at all with my 2014 RTS with almost 28,000 miles and
I also have a 2016 F3-T with 9,300 miles so far and not the first issue so with that said I have to say the new
Spyders with the 1330 engines are almost bullet proof. As for the two older Spyders (2009 GS and 2010 RTS we
had a few issues but all were resolved by the dealer and we were never left stranded.

Toby

slick999
12-10-2016, 03:41 PM
Not sure what part of Pa you are in but if its in the east you want to go to Smith-Marine in Doylstown.I traveled 50 miles to buy off of them and they have great service.I have also used another dealer half that distance from me in Epharata which was good also but I got a better buy at Smith.Good luck in your search,you will have no regrets in buying a Can Am.

ARtraveler
12-10-2016, 04:07 PM
:welcome: and I can appreciate your concerns.

With the advent of the 1330 three, maintenance costs have went down and reliability has went up.

I had the first one to come to Alaska in 2008 and have owned them ever since. A good dealer makes the difference between a good or a bad :spyder2: experience. Dealerships are a crap shoot and you can search many by name here on the site. That should be helpful to you.

Have never experienced a break down while on the road--so I guess I have been lucky.

My :ani29: history is in my signature below.

ruralgirl
12-11-2016, 03:31 PM
:welcome:
...... If a dealer says you have to buy, first, go somewhere else.

That might cause you to avoid a good dealer. I had to buy my ATV before they'd allow me to test ride it in their parking lot, and the same held true with another local dealer from whom I bought my Spyder. And I believe the third BRP dealer near me said they had the same requirement. All three are excellent establishments.

The reason given is that enough people have damaged dealer's machines that the dealers have had to protect themselves. So they make you buy the machine with the promise that if you don't want it, they'll process a full refund right then and there. A PITA? You betcha. But, OTOH, I wouldn't want to be in their shoes dealing with who knows how many people each day from who knows what level of powersports experiences, in who knows what state of mind (recent alcohol consumption, etc). As with selling horses, some folks drop by just to have a free ride.

Road-Kill
12-11-2016, 06:31 PM
That might cause you to avoid a good dealer. I had to buy my ATV before they'd allow me to test ride it in their parking lot, and the same held true with another local dealer from whom I bought my Spyder. And I believe the third BRP dealer near me said they had the same requirement. All three are excellent establishments.

The reason given is that enough people have damaged dealer's machines that the dealers have had to protect themselves. So they make you buy the machine with the promise that if you don't want it, they'll process a full refund right then and there. A PITA? You betcha. But, OTOH, I wouldn't want to be in their shoes dealing with who knows how many people each day from who knows what level of powersports experiences, in who knows what state of mind (recent alcohol consumption, etc). As with selling horses, some folks drop by just to have a free ride.

You made some excellent points but simply put "I dont care". Any dealership selling anything knows 99% of the people that shop simply dont buy. That is the business they are in. I just test drove a Harley "Freewheeler" trike that would have cost me $35,000.00. It was new with zero miles yet after signing a waiver I took it for a ride. Did I buy it....no. Did the dealer think I was going to buy it....dunno. That is the nature of their business and any business for that matter. It is a copout that they treat people like dirt and most accept it, I don't. I buy cars new and NEVER has a dealership treated me like that.

ruralgirl
12-11-2016, 08:58 PM
You made some excellent points but simply put "I dont care". Any dealership selling anything knows 99% of the people that shop simply dont buy. That is the business they are in. I just test drove a Harley "Freewheeler" trike that would have cost me $35,000.00. It was new with zero miles yet after signing a waiver I took it for a ride. Did I buy it....no. Did the dealer think I was going to buy it....dunno. That is the nature of their business and any business for that matter. It is a copout that they treat people like dirt and most accept it, I don't. I buy cars new and NEVER has a dealership treated me like that.

I buy my trucks new, too, and don't have to purchase first, but the dealer rides with me on my test drive; something that's usually not possible with an ATV or motorcycle. There's also less likelihood that a car buyer doesn't know squat about how to drive a car. I would bet that quite a few folks who are looking at Spyders, e.g., are taking their maiden voyage on such a beast, and are either coming with preset, conflicting habits from regular MC riding that could quickly cause a pickle, or have never straddled anything more powerful than a bicycle in their lives. Nonetheless, I certainly understand your point of view.

Zip
12-12-2016, 09:57 AM
I'm taking your feedback serious. The roadside was another factor I did not mention. So BRP offers 2 year roadside yet you say to look somewhere else?.....interesting. I was considering AMA for my current ride and will consider it even more. The support aspect of deciding to buy will be the killer....or not. I'm not thrilled at all with BRPs attitude. Their email response was literally a brush off letter which left me aghast. I see the Spyder as a means of extreme adventure travel. I have done many long distance 6,000 plus mile trips without a glitch (except my Harley). In my travels I've notice the vultures circle when a bike had issues and there was no escape route for the owner. This is why reliability is a major concern. Keep the feedback coming, its making me think. Thanks

First off :welcome: As far as roadside do you have coverage on your other vehicles that may cover it? Like I have a motor-home and have Good Sam's roadside which covers all my vehicles including my Spyder. :thumbup:

HayRog
12-12-2016, 01:13 PM

You're doing a good job of talking yourself out of buying a Spyder -- I think ?
Too bad :(

Zip
12-12-2016, 01:45 PM

Try a different dealer, I went to three and they were all very nice (at least in NY). I bought from the one that gave me the best deal.

Road-Kill
12-12-2016, 04:35 PM

Excellent point. I think that is what I'm doing. I think I'm too worried about what "might" happen vs all the fun......interesting. Thank you

cptjam
12-12-2016, 07:22 PM
Pick one, buy it! Today is the best you'll feel, youngest you'll be, the most alive. Go for it! A full 25 % are women, 25 "never ridden, and 25 physically challenged. I think very reliable, track straight and true (after an alignment, and are the fountain of youth! Go for it! YOLO, my friend! I cannot think of a safer motorcycle, and I'm a motorcycle safety instructor! Maintenance is simple, and inexpensive, DIY. If you pay someone to do those tasks, it is on par with HD, BMW, Indian.
JMHO,Joe