PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPS mount for Spyder

M2Wild
04-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Look what I found on eBay. I think this will work for a lot less money.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200329297404&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

opticat
04-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Beautiful workmanship! I have a Nuvi 350 that I really like, and this mount will allow me to use it with my Spyder. I know the Nuvi is not waterproof, and doesn't have all the nice stuff like the Zumo, but all I care about is the map feature. Seems like I read on another post where one can easily remove the little plastic piece just inboard of the throttle. Just wondering if that's a good place to mount this, and what size the bar is underneath. NICE FIND!

zzneonzz
04-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Beautiful workmanship! I have a Nuvi 350 that I really like, and this mount will allow me to use it with my Spyder. I know the Nuvi is not waterproof, and doesn't have all the nice stuff like the Zumo, but all I care about is the map feature. Seems like I read on another post where one can easily remove the little plastic piece just inboard of the throttle. Just wondering if that's a good place to mount this, and what size the bar is underneath. NICE FIND!

I would recomend mounting it on the left side there should be a small plastic piece that you can remove and mount it there. That way you have access to it if needed.

wyliec
04-08-2009, 04:27 PM
I would recomend mounting it on the left side there should be a small plastic piece that you can remove and mount it there. That way you have access to it if needed.

I know on the SM5 there is a small plastic piece on the right side; but, I'm not aware of one on the left.

zzneonzz
04-08-2009, 07:15 PM
I know on the SM5 there is a small plastic piece on the right side; but, I'm not aware of one on the left.

Ahhh yes i forget i have a SE5 i believe the clutch lever attaches on the SM5 were i had the plastic piece :D

opticat
04-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Does anyone know the diameter of the handlebar that resides UNDER the little plastic piece? I am going to order that mount.

Lamonster
04-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Does anyone know the diameter of the handlebar that resides UNDER the little plastic piece? I am going to order that mount.
7/8"

nyfdtsdemt
04-08-2009, 08:13 PM
i am on the left side too but....i hook it up to the clutch lever screws

have pictures pm and i send ya the pictures

:ani29:

Trickie Dick
04-08-2009, 09:53 PM

I have a 350 also and really like it. I was going to mount on right side but unfortunately the mount I ordered didn't work. It looks like the mount pictured is just what I need. I cut my plastic piece off next to the throttle with a utility knife-took about 10 seconds.

opticat
04-09-2009, 07:35 AM
Trickie Dick, I was looking at the black plastic piece and thinking of removing it as well, but mounting the Garmin there might just place it too far to the right. I believe that, with a larger diameter mount, the GPS could be placed just inboard of the removable plastic piece and then be out of the way of the throttle and cut-off switch. The company makes mounts in several different diameters.

LittleJohn
04-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Trickie Dick, I was looking at the black plastic piece and thinking of removing it as well, but mounting the Garmin there might just place it too far to the right. I believe that, with a larger diameter mount, the GPS could be placed just inboard of the removable plastic piece and then be out of the way of the throttle and cut-off switch. The company makes mounts in several different diameters.
I have mine mounted on the right side where the plastic was. I used a 7/8" u bolt ram ball mount there, and a short ram arm extension to move the cradlke mount towards the center of the handlebars. The cradle has another ball on the back and the arm/extension just grabs both ram balls :yikes: and you can rotate the whole thing any direction/angle you desire.

M2Wild
06-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Grabbing and rotating ballz .... sounds painful.:joke:

effgjamis
06-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Here is what I have done.... kinda copied Lamonster..heh heh....

dltang
06-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Here is what I have done.... kinda copied Lamonster..heh heh....

I like what you did with your keychain there Forrest, it gives me some ideas.

effgjamis
06-12-2009, 08:48 PM
I like what you did with your keychain there Forrest, it gives me some ideas.

Thank You

Venym
06-12-2009, 09:40 PM
I have had that exact mount on for over a year and love it.

SpyderMonkei
06-13-2009, 03:18 PM
So that is the 7/8" model?

M2Wild
06-15-2009, 09:08 AM
So that is the 7/8" model?

7/8" is the handle bar diam. He is using a larger one which the dude sells too. I like his mount position better and might do that myself.

StarTraveler649
06-15-2009, 03:37 PM
venym what size mount is that ? I like that, but would put mine ont he left side so I could get to it easier.

M2Wild
06-16-2009, 09:56 AM
venym what size mount is that ? I like that, but would put mine ont he left side so I could get to it easier.

Can't be on the left if you got a SM because the clutch is in the way. Might be able to if you got a SE.

dltang
06-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Can't be on the left if you got a SM because the clutch is in the way. Might be able to if you got a SE.

My husband has his Garmin on the left side, so I know it can be done. He will maybe jump in and let you know what he did.

bjt
06-16-2009, 10:13 AM

My husband has his Garmin on the left side, so I know it can be done. He will maybe jump in and let you know what he did.

Never say never.... :D I have an SM5 and the Garmin has been on both sides.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=107193&postcount=7

In those first mount pics, the RAM mount bar replaced the top half of the clutch lever clamp. Also, RAM makes a brake / clutch reservoir mount that screws to the top of the clutch reservoir.

powerbyaj
06-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Mount will be hard to digest after an accident.

opticat
06-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Bought that mount for my Garmin Nuvi. It's a fine piece of workmanship, and arrived in three days! It is mounted on the right side (SM) after removing the little plastic cover between the bar and the throttle. I ordered the 7/8-inch size and it fits and works perfectly!

92lt
08-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Look what I found on eBay. I think this will work for a lot less money.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200329297404&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

Are these still available? I coudn't find it on ebay.

Venym
08-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Here is the link to a previous listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190304165930&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

you could email him too. I have talked to him several times about a mount for the Zumo 660. I am curious if it is the same size as the Nuvi series. He thinks the Zumo 660 has the same size ball as the Zumo 550 (1" ball) Anybody else have any input on this? I have a Nuvi 680 and thinking of buying a Zumo 660. Does the Zumo 550 and 660 have a bigger ball?
loug_33@yahoo.com

Spydr in KS
08-22-2009, 12:43 PM
The Zumo 660 has 2 mounts. The motorcycle mount uses a standard 1" RAM ball. It comes with all the RAM parts for mounting, or you can use your own. The auto mount is like a Nuvi with the Garmin 17mm ball on the windshield suction cup mount.

92lt
08-22-2009, 05:04 PM
Thanks