PDA

View Full Version : Replacement brake pads

flyjake
04-08-2009, 01:10 PM
OK, I just got back from my dealer for my 6000 mile (5650 mile) check-up. I had previously ordered the replacement pads, and had them installed at the same time. Price for pads, front and back, about $115. Labor was about $53. Since my Spyder had less than 6000 miles, I only had to pay labor. BRP will offer free pads to Spyders with 3000-6000 miles. Free pads and labor to Spyders with less than 3000 miles. The mechanic took the Spyder out, and firmly bedded the pads, high speed, quick stops until they were well heated. No squeals on the 26-mile ride home; hope that does it!

patches
04-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Just picked mine up yesterday. Had them put the new pads that I had already put on about 200 miles ago but either way, Now I have a one set of new pads, one set of new pads installed and one set of old pads with lmited wear but over 7000K miles. BRP did the right thing and paid the labor and pads, but only the ones the dealer installed. Did my 6000 miles service minus the oil change it total cost was 71. They also fixed the coolant leak and oil pressure senor gone bad. Funny, that part took 9 days to get in and only cost 10 bucks. Geez. Natasha is running just as good as the day I bought her with no squeeks. No it is going to take me 3 hours of cleaning to get her all back to happy.

Dudley
04-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Just picked mine up yesterday. Had them put the new pads that I had already put on about 200 miles ago but either way, Now I have a one set of new pads, one set of new pads installed and one set of old pads with lmited wear but over 7000K miles. BRP did the right thing and paid the labor and pads, but only the ones the dealer installed. Did my 6000 miles service minus the oil change it total cost was 71. They also fixed the coolant leak and oil pressure senor gone bad. Funny, that part took 9 days to get in and only cost 10 bucks. Geez. Natasha is running just as good as the day I bought her with no squeeks. No it is going to take me 3 hours of cleaning to get her all back to happy.

$71 for 6000 mile service? That's awesome!

patches
04-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Value check was already done but a trusted dealer further away as they did it for free for training thier techs. I do my own oil change and all the covers were off for other warrenty items. Yeap..pretty darn cool. now the 12K will not be as cheap though.

tatt2r
04-08-2009, 08:38 PM
had mine done today still squeek have almost 11000 miles so had to pay labor and parts hopping they seat in

Greg H.
04-08-2009, 08:41 PM
had mine done today still squeek have almost 11000 miles so had to pay labor and parts hopping they seat in

How much did they charge you, Jamey?

It looks like I'll need my back brakes done first. And, I might go ahead and have them done when I get the back tire replaced in the next couple of weeks. I just went over 9,000 miles.

Canuk
04-09-2009, 03:08 PM
flyjake

Where did you get the info on the cost of replacement at different mileage? I was just at my dealer today and they offered "to cut me a break" on the new pads. I have under 3K miles and free is much more appealing.

flyjake
04-10-2009, 07:12 AM
flyjake

Where did you get the info on the cost of replacement at different mileage? I was just at my dealer today and they offered "to cut me a break" on the new pads. I have under 3K miles and free is much more appealing.
I was told this by the service manager when I spoke with him in the shop. I had ordered the pads about two weeks earlier to make sure they would be there when I brought my Spyder in.
(By the way, this is a top-notch dealership; well-informed, honest, and professional; Flamingo in Palmer, MA)

NancysToy
04-10-2009, 10:02 AM
My dealer said the same yesterday, that it depends on the mileage on the Spyder. Said all or part of the cost may be covered, but not labor except for a tiny group of serial numbers.
-Scotty

Dudley
04-10-2009, 11:28 AM
My dealer in San Diego says no cost to me. I just haven't had them changed yet. The brakes squeek and growl, but not everytime, so I haven't taken the time to get them changed. Just turned 7300. I can live with that, so I will probably wear them out before I get new ones.

barb36jack31
05-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Spoke with my dealer last week re replacing the brake pads on my Spyder. 4005 miles on bike. He said 'no sweat'and ordered the parts. Had them installed today. No charge to me at all. I asked the service rep about the proration of cost as a function of how many miles were on the bike and he said that was not a consideration. If you complained about the brakes, then BRP would replace them at no cost.

Just for the record - the new brakes work just great! Much better than the originals.

FANG
05-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Jack

that is great to hear. I took mine in for faults and had the 6000 mile check done. I complained about the parking brake and that fix was done. I only had an occassional squeal before now you can't stand to be around it. Sounds worse than any school bus. In fact went to Panama City, FL this weekend and I was embarassed at the squeal.

Will contact my dealer and complain - hopefully they will replace.

thanks for the info