Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Too Much Oil in Oil Tank - What happens (Dealer filled it too much)

Hi there everyone.

On delivery of my Spyder, one of the items on the PDI list for my Spyder (that was checked) was 'fluids check', which by the way, had a check mark by it!!

So, today, after my ride, I decided to check the oil level on my 2010 RS SM5, for the first time, myself (ASSUMING the DEALER checked it and verified the oil level before delivery, as per the PDI list and checkmark). So, as per the manual's suggestions and instructions, I did the following:

* In order to get my bike to operating temperature, I operated it! I went for a nice long ride (30mins), and followed the instructions to the letter, just as soon as I got home.

Before I go any further on the oil level the Dealer (or factory - who installs oil during the PDI process???) filled it to, I have a question: What kind of damage, if any, can result from the oil tank having TOO MUCH oil, as in ABOVE the FULL mark.

Last edited by groundeffect; 02-20-2010 at 10:57 PM.

Spyder Garage

Unless the oil level is so high that it impedes the oil return to the tank, there should be no chance of engine damage. You will, in all likelihood, experience pushing a lot more oil into the airbox. Don't know if there were changes in the vent system for the 2010s, but the earlier models puke oil even at the designated full level. They like to run a little lower, like halfway to the add mark...or even on the add mark. Common problem, and totally unnecessary.

The auto parts stores sell an oil suction gun for a few dollars, that will allow you to remove the excess oil without much fuss. You could also dip in a clean piece of tubing, cap it with your finger, and "baste" out a small amount at a time. If you remove the drain plug you will make a mess and probably have to add oil after you finish, when you get more than you bargained for.

You did the level check the right way. Most overfilling comes from checking cold, or when the gauge just rises at idle, which is not "full operating temperature" for anything but the coolant.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by groundeffect View Post
    Before I go any further on the oil level the Dealer (or factory - who installs oil during the PDI process???) filled it to, I have a question: What kind of damage, if any, can result from the oil tank having TOO MUCH oil, as in ABOVE the FULL mark?
    Sounds like you did everything right - where did the oil come to on the dipstick?

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

"Madonna" anyone....

God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Default You should see "no" damage...

There shouldn't be any damage. If your spyder was at the level her 09 was delivered it was only about 4 oz over the mark. I used a 2 cycle measuring siringe to remove some. Like many riders on this site I always leave the level about half way between the marks

Where was your level above the top mark? /Ken
    Ken krb1945 "Happy Owner"
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    Proud grandfather of a former United States Marine
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

How high, over the full mark ?

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the useful comments, everyone!

Scotty
    Unless the oil level is so high that it impedes the oil return to the tank, there should be no chance of engine damage. You will, in all likelihood, experience pushing a lot more oil into the airbox. Don't know if there were changes in the vent system for the 2010s, but the earlier models puke oil even at the designated full level. They like to run a little lower, like halfway to the add mark...or even on the add mark. Common problem, and totally unnecessary.

The auto parts stores sell an oil suction gun for a few dollars, that will allow you to remove the excess oil without much fuss. You could also dip in a clean piece of tubing, cap it with your finger, and "baste" out a small amount at a time. If you remove the drain plug you will make a mess and probably have to add oil after you finish, when you get more than you bargained for.

You did the level check the right way. Most overfilling comes from checking cold, or when the gauge just rises at idle, which is not "full operating temperature" for anything but the coolant.
    THANK YOU for your reply on this, very informative post, I appreciate it! I have taken your adjust, picked up a suction gun to help adjust my oil level to the properly (manual suggested) level as per BRP.

Sounds like you did everything right - where did the oil come to on the dipstick?
    See details below!

There shouldn't be any damage. If your spyder was at the level her 09 was delivered it was only about 4 oz over the mark. I used a 2 cycle measuring siringe to remove some. Like many riders on this site I always leave the level about half way between the marks

Where was your level above the top mark?
    Thanks for the note Ken. Hearing this from Ryders like yourself and Scotty sets my mind at ease.

How high, over the full mark ?
    YES!!

Spyder Garage

Default Oil Level Adjust to be within BRP Spec.

So, in an effort to correct an overfilled oil tank (from factory or dealer before I made the purchase), and to adhere to the BRP Can-Am Spyder 2010 Owner's Manual (also in an effort to reduce the amount of blow-by oil in the airbox (which I have not checked yet - waiting for 1000km)), I have gone ahead and carefully and in small increments, adjusted my Spyder's oil level, as per the BRP Can-Am 2010 Spyder manual. Details below:

The oil level in my new Spyder, after triple checking the instructions and checking three times myself, the oil level, according to the 2010 manual and sticker on the side of the oil tank, can be seen here:

Using a suction guy from Princess Auto ($7), I carefully suctioned small increments of oil from the tank (about 3oz at a time), followed by a short 5-6min ride to get the engine up to operating temperature (3+ temp bars), then following the Engine Oil Level Verification instructions as per images in first post, I finally adjust the oil to the recommended level as per the manual:

"Check the oil level on the dipstick. It should be near or equal to the upper mark."]. ---- NOW after removing 12oz of oil from my overfilled oil tank, it is right on the F mark or maybe 1-2mm below the "F" mark!

Again, thank you for the replies, everyone. I'm happy to hear that the overfilled oil tank, may not have caused any damage - and I have not seemed to have an issues that I am aware of. I have well documented the issue, made notes and taken photographs to be sure I keep record of it. I do not want to step outside the BRP 5-year warrant I have, as such, I needed to adjust the oil level to the recommended level. It is now set within spec. !

Thoughts and comments on this, are welcome.
    Cheers.

Spyder Garage

Also note that I checked the engine oil level when it was cold (left overnight), and my readings on a cold engine is exactly at 1/2 way up the stick.

From the manual:
    NOTE: The oil level dipstick is accu- rate when the oil temperature is at 80°C (176°F). If the oil level is checked when the oil is at room temperature 20°C (68°F), the proper oil level indi- cation is half way between the lower (ADD) and upper (F) marks on the dip- stick.

I'm good here now also, right at the 1/2 way mark!

Perhaps the dealer filled the tank when the engine was cold, seen it at 1/2 way mark, then added additional oil to get it to F, while still cold, and bam, overfilled it?!. I guess they may have missed the correct instructions in the manual during PDI.

Anyways, it is fixed now - thanks for the feedback and suggestions, everyone.

Cheers.

God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Default Somebody sure goofed...

Twelve Ounces is quite a bit of overfill. But even with that amount you shouldn't see anything other than the normal blow by into the air box.

Also that is just the opposite of new sedans and pickups. I have access to drive many new vehicles. Everyone that I have checked has been exactly 1/2 qt low from the factory. This is one way manufacturers are lowering cost and not hurting anything except their reputation. /Ken
    Ken krb1945 "Happy Owner"
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    Proud grandfather of a former United States Marine
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800

Spyder Garage

Perhaps the dealer filled the tank when the engine was cold, seen it at 1/2 way mark, then added additional oil to get it to F, while still cold, and bam, overfilled it?!. I guess they may have missed the correct instructions in the manual during PDI.
    You might drop your dealer's service department a brief note explaining what you found. It MAY save someone else from having too much oil.

At the very least, their reaction might give you an idea how well they are to work with.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Ken: Thanks for the note - glad to hear the time I was riding (unbeknownst to me) with an overfilled oil tank, that nothing should be damaged.

Tom - Indeed, I will be mentioning this to my Dealer.

cheers guys.
    Dean

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I had this happen when I took delivery of my spyder. Check the colour of your oil. It should be a clear amber. Mine was greenish and had a faint fuel smell to it. It was discovered that it had been over filled but also with the bike being started and stopped so many times in the showroom, I was getting fuel blowby passed the rings.
    Not to alarm you but if that's the case I'd get the dealer to do an oil change.
    Max

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by max continuous View Post
    I had this happen when I took delivery of my spyder. Check the colour of your oil. It should be a clear amber. Mine was greenish and had a faint fuel smell to it. It was discovered that it had been over filled but also with the bike being started and stopped so many times in the showroom, I was getting fuel blowby passed the rings.
    Max

I appreciate the note on this, Max. I did take notice of the oil, it was not really clear, but somewhat clear, definitely not black, more of an amber it was. I do not have any gasoline spell from it.

thanks again.
    Cheers.
    Dean

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

That's good news. You should be o.k. then. I just thought the oil looked a little murky in one of the photos.
    Max

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by max continuous View Post
    Max

The nimrod who filled your oil tank might have been thinking the tank was a 2 cycle tank and used 2 cycle oil, Most [not all] 2 cycle oil is green.
    Did the dealer drain your oil and change the filters?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yep. I stood there and watched while the tech completely re-did the P.D.I and oil change.
    Pretty informative actually.
    Max
    They even knocked the cost of the rented trailer off a jacket.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My dealer did the same thing. I smoked like crazy every time i stopped at a coffee shop. checked my oil and turns out the dealer overfilled like crazy.. I had tons of oil pissing out of the airbox..

Way2Fast

Mine was under filled by almost a quart. I thought that the vehicle is shipped with all fluids already added at the factory. The dealer is only supposed to verify the levels.(if they ever actually do)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Way2Fast View Post
    Mine was under filled by almost a quart. I thought that the vehicle is shipped with all fluids already added at the factory. The dealer is only supposed to verify the levels.(if they ever actually do)
    Under filled, by about a quart!! .

You may be right on the factory pouring the fluids??? However, the PDI states the Dealer verify fluids. Perhaps my Dealer just missed the appropriate and accurate procedure in checking the oil (on the sticker on the oil tank and in the manual, etc...), as I think it is not a standard check, like perhaps other vehicles they service on a more regular basis. My dealer don't stock may Spyders; they make their money off motorcycles, ATVS and Ski-doos MUCH more then Spyders.

thanks for your notes.
    Cheers.

Spyder Garage

Under filled, by about a quart!! .

You may be right on the factory pouring the fluids??? However, the PDI states the Dealer verify fluids. Perhaps my Dealer just missed the appropriate and accurate procedure in checking the oil (on the sticker on the oil tank and in the manual, etc...), as I think it is not a standard check, like perhaps other vehicles they service on a more regular basis. My dealer don't stock may Spyders; they make their money off motorcycles, ATVS and Ski-doos MUCH more then Spyders.

thanks for your notes.
    Cheers.
    If your dealer did the appropriate check of the oil you would have a used vehicle with 10-12 miles on it because he would have to ride it a decent amount like you did to check!
    Mine was over just as much and I caught it the first day because my latest BRP Jet ski was also overfilled SO the first thing I did with my Spyder was inflate the tires properly and then do the oil check.
    On other threads of this nature I found most prefer only 1/4 above the add line or oil on the last 1/4 inch of the stick.
    You may choose otherwise? EH

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    If your dealer did the appropriate check of the oil you would have a used vehicle with 10-12 miles on it because he would have to ride it a decent amount like you did to check!
    Mine was over just as much and I caught it the first day because my latest BRP Jet ski was also overfilled SO the first thing I did with my Spyder was inflate the tires properly and then do the oil check.
    On other threads of this nature I found most prefer only 1/4 above the add line or oil on the last 1/4 inch of the stick.
    You may choose otherwise? EH
    If you use four quarts, no more, no less, the oil level will be down about 1/4 of the way from the full mark to the add mark. The distance from full to add is equivalent to 1/2 quart.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder1026 View Post
    If you use four quarts, no more, no less, the oil level will be down about 1/4 of the way from the full mark to the add mark. The distance from full to add is equivalent to 1/2 quart.
    Good to know!
    When I change mine I pour the oil I emptied into my 5 quart oil extractor so I can actually see that I have drained 3 1/2 or whatever quarts out .
    Then I simply pour in the exact amount that actually drained out and do the verifying check.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I checked mine at 1,000 miles and sure enough it was overfilled by about the same amount as in your photos. I took it to the dealer 10 miles away and had them drain it because they didn't believe me. Later checked the airbox and found only a small amount of oil, maybe 1/2 a teaspoon. No problems, no worries.

I too have found that when cold the oil is just at the bottom of the dipstick. Any reason not to use that method to check oil level?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I checked mine at 1,000 miles and sure enough it was overfilled by about the same amount as in your photos. I took it to the dealer 10 miles away and had them drain it because they didn't believe me. Later checked the airbox and found only a small amount of oil, maybe 1/2 a teaspoon. No problems, no worries.

I too have found that when cold the oil is just at the bottom of the dipstick. Any reason not to use that method to check oil level?

Glad to hear after 1000miles you didn't find much oil in the airbox !!
    I will be checking my airbox at 1000km.

I think a big step in accurately verifying the oil level is (while the engine is at operating temperature - 3 bars on the cluster) when you stop the bike from a ride, and you start it at an idle for 30-40secs. This process allows the oil from parts of the engine back into the oil tank. From my understanding of this note, oil that drains back into the tank during this idle step, is not needed in the engine at idle speed, but is while riding.

NOTE: Running engine for at least 30 seconds allows the suction oil pump to drain the oil from the engine crankcase back into the oil tank. Not carrying out this step could result in overfilling the engine oil.

Perhaps when cold and not run at an idle before turning off (and cooling down), oil could still be in parts of the engine and not in the oil tank for a reading?

Good question.