Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Low speed power steering failures

OK, I think I got a new one...

Coming home from work two days ago, I was stopped at a light waiting for it to turn green. When it did, I began my left-hand turn, but the response seemed sluggish and my turn was a little wider than expected. I wasn't sure what happened and blew it off to sloppy riding.

Unfortunately, it happened four more times today. It's like the power steering is gone. Every time, it's been in first gear when turning from a stop, like at a traffic light or stop sign. It's happened on both right and left hand turns.

The last time it happened, I was watching the instrument panel and I didn't see any indicators come on. Because I wasn't really watching where I was going, I almost hit the curb. I jerked the handlebars so hard, the left wheel came off the ground and I tweaked my elbow.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there anything I should check or verify before I call the dealer? The bike has only 3100 miles on it and just the first software update.

Thanks,
    Joe

2009 Yellow SM5 with BRP R35 saddlebags, CHAD windshield, ESI Up & Out Mirror Extensions, ESI 4" Handlebar Risers, Hindle muffler, Green Filter, Juice Box Pro, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cortech Sport Tailbag, trunk liner, trunk spring, 12V trunk outlet, Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel, and two dashboard Powerlet outlets.

Certified Huligan
    The user formerly known as GIJoe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

?????

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe View Post
    OK, I think I got a new one...

Coming home from work two days ago, I was stopped at a light waiting for it to turn green. When it did, I began my left-hand turn, but the response seemed sluggish and my turn was a little wider than expected. I wasn't sure what happened and blew it off to sloppy riding.

Unfortunately, it happened four more times today. It's like the power steering is gone. Every time, it's been in first gear when turning from a stop, like at a traffic light or stop sign. It's happened on both right and left hand turns.

The last time it happened, I was watching the instrument panel and I didn't see any indicators come on. Because I wasn't really watching where I was going, I almost hit the curb. I jerked the handlebars so hard, the left wheel came off the ground and I tweaked my elbow.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there anything I should check or verify before I call the dealer? The bike has only 3100 miles on it and just the first software update.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Our dealer has seen this and it should be noted when the internals in the DPS "box" go bad , many are NOT throwing codes. When I say box I mean the assist/gear box.

Spyder Garage

My DPS went kaput on me a while back and it was like what you describe. Hard to turn while going slow but easier when going faster. They replaced the DPS and the steering went back to normal.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

My power steering unit was bad from the crate. It was hard to turn at very slow speeds but not to bad above 40mph.

The dealer replaced the DPS and GPS units with no improvement.

They pulled a power steering unit off a showroom floor Spyder (a red one) and that fixed it.

I'm glad a Red transplant worked in my Silver Spyder and I didn't even need any anti-rejection medication!

P.S. Never threw any codes though I rode over 7,000 miles with no PS unit.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-29-2009 at 09:35 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I've read in a lot of cases where the power steering hasnt worked on a new bike and people wouldn't know the difference unless getting on another spyder.My question is how do these units get past the factory roll test and electrical test?

Spyder Garage

Yes, I suspected my power steering was intermittent at times especially at slow speed and had read about others who never had power steering and simply lived with it for thousands of miles.

When I had Update #1 done, the first thing I noticed was how easy steering was before I even got out of the driveway at the dealer. Over time, however I think it started getting harder at low speeds but every now and then it was real easy to push and pull.

I think I'll have my dealer take a look at it next time I have it in. On the plus side, since riding the I've noticed an increase in arm muscle size so it's like a workout every time you ride.
    San Antonio, TX - 2014 RT-S Yellow (of course). Added BRP driver backrest to stock seat. Need to solve Blutooth and iPhone 5S integration problems next.

Former owner of a yellow 2008 Spyder, Cal Sci windshield, Crampbusters, KewlMetal mirror extensions, NoMagicNeon 4" risers, Corbin Seats and dual backrests. Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Just Doo Me View Post
    I've read in a lot of cases where the power steering hasnt worked on a new bike and people wouldn't know the difference unless getting on another spyder.My question is how do these units get past the factory roll test and electrical test?
    Exactly what happened to me. I know it never threw any codes and they don't ride them before shipment at the factory (since they go right into a crate).

My feeling is it just would not show up on any diagnostic because when I had it fixed there were no error codes even after 7000+ miles.

My question was why the mechanic who assembled and preped my Spyder didn't notice. I think he had done around 15 before mine and he rode a demo Spyder nearly every day (presumably it had a working PS system).

He took my Spyder out for a test ride after setting it up. He either didn't notice or decided not to say anything.

Bottom line, discovered the problem, took it to the dealer and they bent over backwards to get it fixed. No problems since. So I am happy to recommend Alcoa Good Times in East Tennessee.

I can't recommend the dealer in Tampa Bay, Florida where I purchased my Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Just Doo Me View Post
    I've read in a lot of cases where the power steering hasnt worked on a new bike and people wouldn't know the difference unless getting on another spyder.
    That's definitely not the case here. Mine was working fine until three days ago and the new problem is intermittent.

2009 Yellow SM5 with BRP R35 saddlebags, CHAD windshield, ESI Up & Out Mirror Extensions, ESI 4" Handlebar Risers, Hindle muffler, Green Filter, Juice Box Pro, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cortech Sport Tailbag, trunk liner, trunk spring, 12V trunk outlet, Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel, and two dashboard Powerlet outlets.

Certified Huligan

Spyder Garage

I,m not doubting you.But I would think BRP has some kind of quality control where each bike is tested before it is crated to make sure things are ready to be assembled at the dealer.

Spyder Garage

No doubt they have extensive quality control, but we must all realize that a test ride can't be part of the factory check. Not all problems throw a code, either, like the non-working DPS units. A test ride to find stuff like this would have to be done by the dealer since the Spyders are shipped incompletely assembled, and the dealer must finish the job, filling and charging the battery, filling the fluids, putting the wheels on, installing the trunk, making final adjustments, etc. Hooking the Spyder up to BUDS a final time before delivery is part of the PDI procedure, but a test ride is not. There are limits to what standard quality control can catch, unfortunately.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wife and I toured a motorcycle manufacturing plant in Wichita, Kansas, a couple of years ago. Every bike that goes out the door is test ridden by pro riders before the bike is sent to their dealer. Bikes are fully assembled and ready for the new owner. Special 18 wheeler trailers haul the bikes and have special strap-down devices to secure each bike to prevent any damage. What was interesting to us was the 6 artists that hand painted (air brush) each bikes tank, fenders, etc. Truly custom bikes. I think each bike was sold before it was built.

http://www.bigdogmotorcycles.com/

Nothing to do with our machines, just thought it was interesting.

don
    Last edited by Don in E Texas; 10-30-2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: add web site information
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    No doubt they have extensive quality control, but we must all realize that a test ride can't be part of the factory check. Not all problems throw a code, either, like the non-working DPS units. A test ride to find stuff like this would have to be done by the dealer since the Spyders are shipped incompletely assembled, and the dealer must finish the job, filling and charging the battery, filling the fluids, putting the wheels on, installing the trunk, making final adjustments, etc. Hooking the Spyder up to BUDS a final time before delivery is part of the PDI procedure, but a test ride is not. There are limits to what standard quality control can catch, unfortunately.

Scotty: A nonworking DPS will throw a fault code now, since the first update. Carlo said one of the changes to the instrument cluster was a fault code for a nonworking DPS. It will scroll.

Spyder Garage

+1

Every Spyder may go through BRP's roll test machine but the test is done with the wheels straight. It couldn't detect a steering effort failure as steering isn't tested there.

Spyder Garage

I just found the instructions for displaying fault codes. I'll give that a try and make sure I have more than 2 PSI in the tires when I get home.

Certified Huligan

Way2Fast

The test rides were conducted by their employed test riders. BRP should have corrected ALL the problems discovered first in the prototypes and later in the production models. I was assured that they had been corrected before laying my $$ down.....didn't turn out that way.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Way2Fast View Post
    The test rides were conducted by their employed test riders. BRP should have corrected ALL the problems discovered first in the prototypes and later in the production models. I was assured that they had been corrected before laying my $$ down.....didn't turn out that way.
    Who ever tells you all problems have been corrected in any vehicle ever produced is lying to you. Lying sells but it is not a good sales practice.

You could go back to that person and ask them to put their money where their mouth was when you purchased you Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder1026 View Post
    Scotty: A nonworking DPS will throw a fault code now, since the first update. Carlo said one of the changes to the instrument cluster was a fault code for a nonworking DPS. It will scroll.
    That's good to know. Thanks for the update. Not sure it is absolute, however. Lamont's steering seems to have stopped working, and he reported no codes. Others have had intermittent steering after the update, yet no codes. Confusing is the mildest term I can think of to describe it all.

Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe View Post
    I just found the instructions for displaying fault codes. I'll give that a try and make sure I have more than 2 PSI in the tires when I get home.
    Remember that the codes shown on the display will only be currently active codes. Historic codes can only be read by BUDS.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

No active fault codes.

Certified Huligan

Spyder Garage

Mine had no codes at all, no scrolling messages either. The bike thought it was fine. However, they told me now that they have replaced parts and computer it gives a code for dps and won't reset. Strange....
    Wow what a ride!! Love my spyder!!

Spyder Garage

No codes at all either when it happened to me both times.

Quote Originally Posted by pitmon View Post
    Mine had no codes at all, no scrolling messages either. The bike thought it was fine. However, they told me now that they have replaced parts and computer it gives a code for dps and won't reset. Strange....

Spyder Garage

Not sure it is absolute, however. Lamont's steering seems to have stopped working, and he reported no codes.
    True. No codes. But neither of us expected a code since mine and others have had issues with no code (scrolling or history).

I didn't know about the alleged DPS code update nor did Lamont seem to know about it. And he has talked to BRP tech's so you'd think they would have mentioned it.

He has had both update 1 and update 2. I just have update 1.

He has been riding his Spyder and I haven't talked to him about it since the initial problem. Don't know if it started working again or not.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Way2Fast View Post
    I would bet they did fix all the problems they discovered during testing. To my knowledge, the fires and catastrophic steering failures have only been occurring within the past year or less. It's hard to predict the future problems. Ask anyone who has stock investments.

Way2Fast

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    I would bet they did fix all the problems they discovered during testing. To my knowledge, the fires and catastrophic steering failures have only been occurring within the past year or less. It's hard to predict the future problems. Ask anyone who has stock investments.
    How about the brake noise and squeal? They had it in all the pre production bikes and it carried over to most of the production ones.

Spyder Garage

Brake noise vs. engine fires (or the major steering faults) are two completely different things. One's a nuisance, the other is a serious safety problem.