Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default I have a confession...

... to make.

I am the person Magic Man referenced in last weeks post about "..ignoring the elephant".

Today, I traded my Spyder in against a 2010 1600cc Triumph Thunderbird.

I'm not trying to start anything new, or expand concerns more that they should be, but three steering issues in 10 months was more than I could tolerate. The last one, exactly as "pitmon" described in her thread last Sunday, happened to me in the Ozark Mountains while on a four day trip... on the same weekend... with near fatal consequences.

Bottom line: Based on where, and how aggressively, I ride, I felt I could no longer take a chance on MY Spyder. I'm sure BRP will eventually get this problem resolved but I was not willing to wait.

I will remain on this site just because I have a lot of friends here.

Good luck to those with the same problems... I'm hoping BRP gets to the root cause very quickly!
    Last edited by ataDude; 10-28-2009 at 12:42 PM.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Only you could make the decision that is right for you.

Are you going to post pictures of your new bike?
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    Only you could make the decision that is right for you.

Are you going to post pictures of your new bike?
    Sure... not mine but it's exactly like this... for now :

There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you'll at least stick around here. Really enjoy reading your post. Sorry to hear about the Spyder problems though. I
    sure hope BRP gets to the bottom of this problem fast.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Did you get a good deal for the trade? Good luck with the new ride.

John

Full Moon 08' SM5, Luggage rack, back rest, Kewlmetal mirror extensions, trunk spring, hidden trunk release cable, ride-on, remote garage openers, header wrap, Lamonster's air box catch can, CHAD, NMN double play w/ LED running/signals, heated gloves (gerbing), dzus fasteners, led fender tip lights, spyderpops missing air dam, tric rings, tric fender strips, spyderpops heat shield and missing air damn, Nexx X1R1 helmet.

Spyder Garage

Default I do hope you stick around, but . . . . . .

. . . . (being selfish) I am really going to miss all your Spyder "how to" postings - they are excellent and really valuable. Thanks. AND, you always took my ribbing in the manner it was intended .

I'm sorry it came to this for you, but when it comes down to it, you have to decide what is right for you. A class act all the way.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frig View Post
    Did you get a good deal for the trade? Good luck with the new ride.
    Nope... took a nice, extra large haircut on that. But the good news was I didn't have to fib about why I was selling. The Triumph dealer, who was going to wholesale the bike back to my selling dealer, both knew the background and reasons. That's the reason for the haircut... both knew of my concerns.

And, thanks!

Last edited by ataDude; 10-28-2009 at 01:29 PM.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Oh... when were you "ribbing"?

And, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    . . . . (being selfish) I am really going to miss all your Spyder "how to" postings - they are excellent and really valuable. Thanks. AND, you always took my ribbing in the manner it was intended .

I'm sorry it came to this for you, but when it comes down to it, you have to decide what is right for you. A class act all the way.

Tom

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Default Usually . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    Oh... when were you "ribbing"?

And, thanks!

. . . . whenever you were piddling.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    . . . . whenever you were piddling.

Tom
    Oh, yeah? Just wait til I have my humongous garage sale. For you, it will be listed price plus 20%.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Nice new ride I am sorry about your Spyder but I am very glad you will be staying on here w/ us. You would be missed on here if you left!

I sure hope they resolve this too. It scared the cr@p out of me, that's for sure. It's at my dealer's right now and will be looked at on Thursday.

Anyway, your new ride is gorgeous - keep us posted on how you like it!

Spyder Garage

Thank you, M'am. I will let you know... it seems very nice and was named Cruiser of the Year by one of the bigger mags. Everyone who has one, loves it!

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    Nice new ride I am sorry about your Spyder but I am very glad you will be staying on here w/ us. You would be missed on here if you left!

I sure hope they resolve this too. It scared the cr@p out of me, that's for sure. It's at my dealer's right now and will be looked at on Thursday.

Anyway, your new ride is gorgeous - keep us posted on how you like it!

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Dayum, I need a higher paying job cuz every time someone gets a new toy, I want one too!

Thank you, M'am. I will let you know... it seems very nice and was named Cruiser of the Year by one of the bigger mags. Everyone who has one, loves it!

Spyder Garage

You didn't happen to keep that windshield that is on your Spyder in the pictures did you? Just curious.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have always appreciated the insight and expertise you have offered on this forum. I have learned alot from your contributions. Thanks much.
    Dick
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Mr. Dude,
    How will we ever survive without your extensive knowledge of 1,000 exhausts on a Spyder?!

OH YEAH!!! What about my "SideKick" that is supposed to be delivered in 2012 (AFTER the supposed "end of the world")???

My trust in imaginary Spyder products has suffered.

OK...seriously...I'm sorry for your problems...I hate them! I really do hope you're happy with the new ride. (notice: it's now "ride"...not "ryde")

I really hope you keep posting here...even if I never get my SideKick and my Spyder keeps tipping over!

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Wink

If you honestly felt it was the right thing to do...then it was.

Ride on, buddy, ride on...
    Happy SE5 Owner

Spyder Garage

Default So Sorry...

You snuck right up on us with that one, didn't ya? Hate to see another gearhead jump ship. Hope I don't eventually have to hold down the entire tech end of this thing by myself. So sorry you felt you had to move on, I know the Spyder got your juices flowing. Enjoy the new ride...but it just won't be the same. Best of luck with your new toy.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    You didn't happen to keep that windshield that is on your Spyder in the pictures did you? Just curious.
    Indeed I did. I will have a bunch... and I mean BUNCH... for sale soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    I have always appreciated the insight and expertise you have offered on this forum. I have learned alot from your contributions. Thanks much.
    Dick
    Thanks, Dick. It was my pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    Mr. Dude,
    How will we ever survive without your extensive knowledge of 1,000 exhausts on a Spyder?!

OH YEAH!!! What about my "SideKick" that is supposed to be delivered in 2012 (AFTER the supposed "end of the world")???

My trust in imaginary Spyder products has suffered.

OK...seriously...I'm sorry for your problems...I hate them! I really do hope you're happy with the new ride. (notice: it's now "ride"...not "ryde")

I really hope you keep posting here...even if I never get my SideKick and my Spyder keeps tipping over!
    The SideKick is still scheduled for production in late 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
    If you honestly felt it was the right thing to do...then it was.

Ride on, buddy, ride on...
    I did and it was. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    You snuck right up on us with that one, didn't ya? Hate to see another gearhead jump ship. Hope I don't eventually have to hold down the entire tech end of this thing by myself. So sorry you felt you had to move on, I know the Spyder got your juices flowing. Enjoy the new ride...but it just won't be the same. Best of luck with your new toy.
    Actually, a few caught on rather quickly. HDX inquired of me (via PM) early last week.

I will miss the Spyder. Except for the three occurrences, it was a trouble-free, fun ride. I suspect I'll own another one in the future.

And, you can do it, Scotty.

Last edited by ataDude; 10-27-2009 at 10:07 PM.

My Spyder:

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Can I send my windshield to ya for an autograph...LOL
    Sorry to hear about the issues, but it will be cool seeing all of the mods you do to your new ride. Glad to see you will be sticking around with us.

Nice thing is your new ride came from the factory with a hand brake lever already attached. Now lets see how long it takes for ya to get used to having one of those again.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    Can I send my windshield to ya for an autograph...LOL
    I think it would be more appropriate to sign our (hundreds of) exhausts!

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

I understand your motivation - and that you've done what's best for you.

I'm lucky enough to be able to keep the Spyder, and have a Valk for my long trips. Best of luck!

Spyder Garage

Should have given me a call
    my wife has a 2007 Triumph speedmaster all black with oil fairing custom exhaust and race winshield sitting in my garage with no mileage on it. She doesn't ride it because of the spyder. On a 1-10 scale the bike is a 10.

Sure... not mine but it's exactly like this... for now :

Spyder Garage

Let me know how it compares to the Valk, You do still have it don't you. I guy in town just sold his Rocket III and bought one of them but I havn't had a chance to ride or talk with him about it.
    Happy Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I did the same

I definitely understand you switching to another cycle. I did the same thing a couple months ago. Although I did all my own service and repair work my 08 SM5 did not experience any major issues. After reading all the issues reported by other owners I never felt confident that it would get me where I was going. In the back of my little mind I kept saying "I hope it makes it through this trip". I am primarily a distance rider and whenever I went on a trip I had a continual concern that something would break and I had little confidence there would be a knowledgable, capable dealer anywhere near.
    I purchased a new Harley and although I know it can also break down like any mechanical machine I have much more reassurance that it wil be dependable and should I have a problem there will be a knowledgable and capable dealer somewhat close. My Harley has averaged 45.3 MPG over the first 2400 miles and has been trouble free. The counter balanced engine on my Harley is velvet smooth and much quieter than the Spyder due to significantly lower RPM at highway speed.
    I also read Spyderlovers every day and think the Spyder is a revolutionary great creation but so revolutionary it is not yet perfected to the point of reliability of other mainstream machines. The steering issue is definitely justifyable concern and had I experienced that the Spyder would have been gone a lot sooner. I was fortunate to have sold my Spyder on EBay just before the new touring model was announced so the sale price was better than it is now. Not saying I didn't take a hit but that is life but I thoroughly enjoy new toys!
    I wish all Spyder owners the best and will continue to visit the site daily.