Thread: 1330 MOTOR OIL

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default MAD MAC

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
    I've run Mobil 1 4t in all my bikes, including my Goldwing(s) and now my Spyder and have towed a trailer behind both Wings and Spyder and have not had a motor burn it or leave me on the side of the road yet (yes I'm "knocking on wood" at the moment cause I'm superstitious!). Run what you want and feel comfortable with, lot's of quality oils out there. MadMac
    MM;
    you may want to click on this link: http://www.pqiamerica.com/apiserviceclass.htm
    the SH rating scares me since it's now obsulete.....
    Dan

Spyder Garage

As I read the PQIA home page it specifically refers to automotive/automobile engines. What is of utmost concern to me as a Spyder owner is what the technical specifications page in my operator's guide says about the API service classification the oil I use must meet. For RT owners of MYs 2014-2018 (Bob, yours is coming) the service classifications are shown below. Sorry, you F3 owners must do your own digging.

2014 -- SL, SJ, SH, SG
    2015 -- SL, SJ, SH, SG
    2016 -- SL, SJ, SH, SG
    2017 -- SJ, SL, SM, SN, JASO MA2
    2018 -- SJ, SL, SM, SN, JASO MA2

FWIW, I find no API Donut on either Mobil 1 4T Racing 10W-40 or Amsoil Metric 10W-40 oil bottles. PQIA specifically tells automobile owners to look for that donut which identifies the motor oil as resource conserving. That resource conserving label applies specifically to automobile oils.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    As I read the PQIA home page it specifically refers to automotive/automobile engines. What is of utmost concern to me as a Spyder owner is what the technical specifications page in my operator's guide says about the API service classification the oil I use must meet. For RT owners of MYs 2014-2018 (Bob, yours is coming) the service classifications are shown below. Sorry, you F3 owners must do your own digging.

2014 -- SL, SJ, SH, SG
    2015 -- SL, SJ, SH, SG
    2016 -- SL, SJ, SH, SG

FWIW, I find no API Donut on either Mobil 1 4T Racing 10W-40 or Amsoil Metric 10W-40 oil bottles. PQIA specifically tells automobile owners to look for that donut which identifies the motor oil as resource conserving. That resource conserving label applies specifically to automobile oils.
    There's no API donut because they don't submit that oil to the API for testing and certification because it's not for an automobile, it's motorcycle specific oil. As I understand it, API testing and certification is expensive and unnecessary because of the oil's usage.

MA1 is the older specification and MA2 is the newer one. The difference being MA2 is specifically formulated for use with a catalytic converter. The chemical differences between MA1 and 2 are so small that IMO it doesn't matter.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    There's no API donut...
    Thank you for the donut explanation. I did not even consider the testing cost and it makes perfect sense for not doing it on motorcycle oils.

I think that for many of us Spyder owners the number of trips we've made arounnd the sun carries with it our experiences with motor oils when we were much younger. The petroleum industry has advanced light years since I was a teenager tearing into different types of internal combustion engines. That's why I personally believe relying on what's in my operator's guide is the most prudent course of action. AND, oil analysis is the only way we can tell how individual products perform.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default WOW

WOW....! ! !
    i am glad i asked the question....
    i'm learning a BOAT LOAD of GOOD info here.... keep that info coming...
    we have quiet a few talented people on this website... cheers to all...
    HAPPY NEW YEAR, and see you on the road in 2018....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Not to ruin your day, but....................

In my Harley days I spent way too much time researching oils. Bottom line is, the highest bid price gets the oil. Whether it's sold by the tank car load, by the truck and trailer load or by the barrel, it all comes down to the bid price. No matter if it comes from Shell, Sunoco, Citgo or whoever, the buyer's additives are blended in, it's all repackaged with different labels (Harley Davidson, Yamaha, BRP, and so on) then it's placed on the shelf for sale to the public. Whatever you choose to purchase make sure you buy a top of the line motorcycle specific oil and enjoy the ride. Oh, by the way, a little useful side note. If you're ever caught out in the middle of nowhere and are in serious need of oil for your scoot, you can use and mix any diesel engine specific oil to get you where you need to go without harming your engine. Just change it out when you get back to civilization.

Spyder Garage

FYI you can get a case of 6 Castrol motorcycle specific 4T 5W40 on Amazon for around $52. Been using it in my bikes for years.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post

2014 -- SL, SJ, SH, SG
    2015 -- SL, SJ, SH, SG
    2016 -- SL, SJ, SH, SG

Interesting table in light of the specific requirement that the 998 engine bikes have requiring the oil NOT be API SM or higher rated.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    MM;
    you may want to click on this link: http://www.pqiamerica.com/apiserviceclass.htm
    Dan
    Thanks for the heads-up. I'll read thru it and make a more informed decision next time I buy oil. I did a complete oil/filter change before I put it up for the winter, I even got to finally put my GoldPlugs in. Mad Mac

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL INFO FROM - PQIAMERICA

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    MM;
    Dan
    Do you realize they are talking about ......." PASSENGER CAR ENGINES " ....which don't share oil with the transmission...nice study but it has NO useful info for Spyders ...... Mike

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A922AB8B-587C-4DD6-A4B1-DE53EF2B63BE.jpg Here’s a report on the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W40.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    A922AB8B-587C-4DD6-A4B1-DE53EF2B63BE.jpg Here’s a report on the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W40.
    Thats a pretty good report on that oil..! Thanks for sharing this.
    2016 RT-Ltd
    Bajaron swaybar
    Spyderpops trunk light
    Elka stage 2 front shocks
    Extra longbrake pedal
    brake modulator
    Centramatic wheel balancers on the front and rear.
    Rivco dual flag holder
    Tricled mirror turn signal indicators
    with American and Texas flags
    Lamonster Magic Mirrors
    missing belt guard
    Lambskin seat cover from Smokey mountain sheepskin.com
    Tricled 360 degree led Headlights
    Lamonster led fog lights
    Baker air wings
    2019 Silverado Duramax dually
    2019 Cyclone 4007 toyhauler
    Spyderpops bumpskid w led light
    Rivco brand footrest
    spydermanexhaust.com exhaust
    had my exhaust installed @ Spyder in the hills.

Spyder Garage

I have up til now always used Castrol dino oil in all my bikes ,oil changes every 5000 km .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    I have up til now always used Castrol dino oil in all my bikes ,oil changes every 5000 km .
    Which variety of Castrol exactly ?

You do know that it is NOT good to use any brand, type or grade of car oil.......right ??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    In your Spyder? Thought that was a no, no, but if it works, that's a good thing.