Spyder Garage

Question Tank Protector Options???

What are you using for tank protection? Wrap decals or Tank bra???

I've seen Pete's Tank Wrap option, but thought I'd drop a line here to take a reading on what the current "go-to" may be.

Looking for something both economical and functional.

Thanks for your time!!!
    HAND'S UP:
    The only sure way of getting rid of bad habits is to create good ones.
    AND, by the way, this will not happen on auto pilot.

It's time for a YOU-turn!!!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

canamspyderaccessories.com has some good options.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TANK PROTECTOR - OPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderHands View Post
    What are you using for tank protection? Wrap decals or Tank bra???

I've seen Pete's Tank Wrap option, but thought I'd drop a line here to take a reading on what the current "go-to" may be.

Looking for something both economical and functional.

Thanks for your time!!!
    Don't wear " chainmale' " pants and don't wrap your legs with barbed wire to decrease how much they slide ................ ......... just kidding ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I was wondering what was the purpose of a tank protector myself. Sport bike riders use them because they lay forward on the tank, on an F3 you dont. What is a tank bra? If it is not stuck down like a wrap, dirt will get in there and do damage like sandpaper.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    canamspyderaccessories.com has some good options.
    Thanks for the link. Took a look; just a bit pricey.
    HAND'S UP:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Don't wear " chainmale' " pants and don't wrap your legs with barbed wire to decrease how much they slide ................ ......... just kidding ..... Mike
    HAND'S UP:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I was wondering what was the purpose of a tank protector myself. Sport bike riders use them because they lay forward on the tank, on an F3 you dont. What is a tank bra? If it is not stuck down like a wrap, dirt will get in there and do damage like sandpaper.
    Multi purposes. Should you decide to hold something in that position (small bag, water bottle, etc.), it is good to have a barrier to guard against undesired scuffs and scratches. I just think $50-100 is rather expensive compared to the tank pads and protectors I’ve had in the past with my sport bikes.
    HAND'S UP:

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderHands View Post
    Multi purposes. Should you decide to hold something in that position (small bag, water bottle, etc.), it is good to have a barrier to guard against undesired scuffs and scratches. I just think $50-100 is rather expensive compared to the tank pads and protectors I’ve had in the past with my sport bikes.
    I actually use one of the tank protectors from canamspyderaccessories.com. It works very well, and only cost about $30-40. You can find one similar at a place like cycle gear, but they will normally not be as big, and not give as much coverage. I do not like the thought of using a tank bra, as it would be too hard to remove when cleaning underneath it. I also thought about doing a clear vinyl wrap, but I decided on the pad instead.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PROTECTION

OK I'll be serious and hopefully helpful ..... I have found numerous types of clear adhesive material on E-bay, that can be shaped using a heat gun or high temp hair dryer ..... There is thicker types that they call door and sill protective material ... I'll look and see if I've saved any of those links in my e-bay file ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I actually use one of the tank protectors from canamspyderaccessories.com. It works very well, and only cost about $30-40. You can find one similar at a place like cycle gear, but they will normally not be as big, and not give as much coverage. I do not like the thought of using a tank bra, as it would be too hard to remove when cleaning underneath it. I also thought about doing a clear vinyl wrap, but I decided on the pad instead.
    I didn’t see any on the site for $30-40.

Using a tank bra isn’t an option for me. I’m looking for the vinyl pad “wrap” type of application.

Thanks for stopping by!!!
    HAND'S UP:

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

wrapmyspyder.com also has tank protection but probably too much money.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

www.wrapmyspyder.com love my custom tank protector from Pete .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

What about body piecing's?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    We are all different shapes and sizes, AY. Because of my leg length, my knees rub on the F3-L painted ridge where the tank top joins the sides. As such, I need some kind of tank protector over that edge to prevent scuffing the finish. That is where I put the clear protector pieces that came with the F3-L (the ones that you are supposed to put on the frame near your boots)

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

OK I'll be serious and hopefully helpful ..... I have found numerous types of clear adhesive material on E-bay, that can be shaped using a heat gun or high temp hair dryer ..... There is thicker types that they call door and sill protective material ... I'll look and see if I've saved any of those links in my e-bay file ...... Mike
    Mike--is this an arc welder for plastic covered metal tank--480 V I'm guessing.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Default TechSpec Snake Skin Grip

These aren't fancy, but they work. I applied them where my knees rub against the paint and they provide grip as well as cushioning. Easy to position and apply. According to the manufacturer: "The Snake Skin Grip Material is TechSpec's "Premier Product". Measuring at only .125" thick with a low profile diamond pattern. The rubber padding properties of these quality tank grips benefit you with a planted grip on your tank." The material can also be purchased in sheets and cut to your specifications. They come in black and clear. Like I said, they're not fancy, but they work and I'm very satisfied with the quality. I bought them last year off of Amazon for $52.00 with free shipping.

TechSpec 62-0049-SS Snake Skin Tank Grip
    5.0 out of 5 stars 3 customer reviews
    Price: $69.95 + $6 shipping

81LAC7n8r+L._AC_UL480_SR480,480_.jpg

IMG_20170521_190414.jpg
    Last edited by LateLifeCrisis; 03-04-2018 at 12:53 AM.
    He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LateLifeCrisis View Post
    These aren't fancy, but they work. I applied them where my knees rub against the paint and they provide grip as well as cushioning. Easy to position and apply. According to the manufacturer: "The Snake Skin Grip Material is TechSpec's "Premier Product". Measuring at only .125" thick with a low profile diamond pattern. The rubber padding properties of these quality tank grips benefit you with a planted grip on your tank." The material can also be purchased in sheets and cut to your specifications. They come in black and clear. Like I said, they're not fancy, but they work and I'm very satisfied with the quality. I bought them last year off of Amazon for $52.00 with free shipping.

TechSpec 62-0049-SS Snake Skin Tank Grip
    5.0 out of 5 stars 3 customer reviews
    Price: $69.95 + $6 shipping

81LAC7n8r+L._AC_UL480_SR480,480_.jpg

IMG_20170521_190414.jpg
    Thanks for the idea and link. The only thing is, I am wanting to start the tank pad protection coverage right where the seat and the plastic meet in the mid section.
    HAND'S UP:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ordered from spiralus designs. I got the entire Frunk area and Tank for about 100.00. YOu can also get any wrap in clear if you don't want a color or design.Grey Spyder Tank wrap.jpgGrey Spyder Frunk wrap1.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    We are all different shapes and sizes, AY. Because of my leg length, my knees rub on the F3-L painted ridge where the tank top joins the sides. As such, I need some kind of tank protector over that edge to prevent scuffing the finish. That is where I put the clear protector pieces that came with the F3-L (the ones that you are supposed to put on the frame near your boots)

Pete
    I have always wondered what the clear pads were for that come with your bike from the manufacturer.
    17 F3 Limited (Pearl White), Sena 10C intercom, X Grip iPhone mount, IPS key, spyder to go cup holder, Lamonster Highway Center Lane, TricLED engine lights, TricLED night rider, LS2 Helmets, Lamonster Bypass pipe, 2 Brothers Exhaust, mirror relocator kit, Bluetooth radio module, OEM Backrest, Rear LED Light Kit

2017 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Tank protection material.

I wonder what that clear plastic stuff that comes with your limited is, never got them? Anyhow, doesn't matter. What I used on my bike as well as the previous one was a clear plastic material that you can get from any sewing store (Joanne's, Micheal's) for pennies. It's in the fabric section and comes in various thicknesses. Cut it to shape, takes experimenting to get a flat wrap shape, wet it, apply and squeegee it out. The surface adhesion holds it in place. It stays real well and can be taken off easily without leaving anything behind. Not cheap, just frugal..... Of course, the ones you buy do look a whole lot nicer but this is transparent and not noticeable. Just another alternative.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Spyder Wraps Pete's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default F3 tank protection options

Here are some examples of what we have available in F3 scratch protection. Each product below has been created based on customer request. We have found that everyone has a different riding style and because of that they have different needs for scratch protection. In addition, we have recently completed a full saddle bag paint protection kit that can be scene on our FB page and will be available for sale soon on the website.

Spine Tank Protector Domed $59.00 (free color insert)
    (Available in Real Carbon Fiber, wood, solid colors)
    NEW F3 Spine Carbon Fiber Tank Protector w red.jpg

2 piece Tank Protector $45.00
    (Available in Clear Paint Protection film or colors)

Extended Tank Protection $59.00 (Covers side to side)
    (Available in Clear Paint Protection film or colors) (Blue represents complete kit)
    Extended Paint Protection.jpgSpyder F3 Full tank protection.jpg

Mini Tank Pad
    (Available in Clear Paint Protection film or colors)
    F3 cut out is optional.

We have created some other custom styles as well but don't have any installed photos. See our website for more photos and color opitions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Email: pete@wrapmyspyder.com
    Toll Free: 814-450-1923

See our latest Spyder projects here.

If you have a project idea for your Spyder please contact us and we will do our best to help.

Visit our Website here:www.wrapmyspyder.com