Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New Viking Saddlebags

Okay, so I decided when I bought my F3 that I was not going to pay the ridiculous price Can Am was asking for their saddlebags. They are very proud of their bags to say the least.

I had a set of Viking bags on the Yamaha Raider I traded in on my F3 and I knew Viking had a universal mount for the unusual ride so I decided to give them a try. The Viking bags came in yesterday. First off, I'd like to say that in hard mounting the Viking bags you will have to do a bit of bag drilling. The bags are made from hard plastic and require the drilling of 3/8" holes for the brackets. When I held the bags up to the F3's mounting points, I found the existing pre-drilled holes in the Viking bags almost fit the F3 perfectly...."Almost". The rear hole was about a 1'4" off. I also found that the bags would not work with the passenger hand rails, which I thought was going to be the case. Lastly, I found that for a really nice tight looking fit, you would have to modify the Viking brackets, grinding them down a bit. All in all, it took me about 1.5 hours to mount the bags.

1. Removed the seats.
    2. Removed the hand rails.
    3. Positioned the bags and marked the holes for drilling.
    4. I used the existing front hole and grommet for the front mounting point and removed the grommet from the last hole which had to be drilled slightly by about 1/4".
    5. Once I had the upper mounting holes set, I simply laid the brackets on the bag and marked the lower holes. Due to the bag size and the design of the F3, clearance was not an issue.
    6. For a clean look and to avoid the purchase of longer bolts, I removed about 1/4" of material from the upper end of the mounting bracket with a cut off grinder then smoothed it on my shop grinder.

After fabrication, I simply bolted the brackets on the bag then bolted the bags to the F3.

I think they turned out very nicely and I saved around $1,200 over the cost of a set of Can Am bags.

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ca8920; 06-16-2015 at 11:17 AM.

Spyder Garage

look good with the f3!! how are they as far as water resistant, and do they have any rain covers?

Spyder Garage

They look great on the F3. Well done!

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Bags

Nice job! Looks great.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Nice looking bags. They fit in with the F3 styling well.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Excellent - looks great
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default VIKING BAGS

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Nice looking bags. They fit in with the F3 styling well.
    ......BRAVO.!!!!! .....As you may know I'm an absolute DIY'er......so you have my deepest respect on this.......I have a question on one thing you said " ALMOST ".....1" 4" , OFF on where the hole needed to be ?.......was this a typo.....that doesn't seem to be almost............I can also picture re-placement " PASSENGER GRAB HANDLES "......You seem to be talented , so where the bags attach make a large " [ " shape with the flat on top and the ends extending down to the attachment BOLTS from 3/16 th flat stock (or if you can weld even better ) .....then slit a broom handle or large wood DOWEL and attach it to the sides of the flat metal.........WaLa passenger handles..............Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default thanks

Thanks for the pics & info. Jeff (husband) has a set of Viking Quartercircle bags sitting here waiting for his F3S (fingers crossed he may get it this weekend!) - lockable and waterproof, top quality too. Your pics gave us a good idea of how they will look on the F3, so thanks again. The lounge room floor also has smoothspyder backrest just waiting for his F3 (thanks, Jim).

Spyder Garage

Default quarter

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ......BRAVO.!!!!! .....As you may know I'm an absolute DIY'er......so you have my deepest respect on this.......I have a question on one thing you said " ALMOST ".....1" 4" , OFF on where the hole needed to be ?.......was this a typo.....that doesn't seem to be almost............I can also picture re-placement " PASSENGER GRAB HANDLES "......You seem to be talented , so where the bags attach make a large " [ " shape with the flat on top and the ends extending down to the attachment BOLTS from 3/16 th flat stock (or if you can weld even better ) .....then slit a broom handle or large wood DOWEL and attach it to the sides of the flat metal.........WaLa passenger handles..............Mike
    i'm betting he meant a "quarter inch" Mike.... as in 1/4".... but datz just me...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R F3-S

Spyder Garage

Default AWESOME

Quote Originally Posted by ca8920 View Post
    Okay, so I decided when I bought my F3 that I was not going to pay the ridiculous price Can Am was asking for their saddlebags. They are very proud of their bags to say the least.

I had a set of Viking bags on the Yamaha Raider I traded in on my F3 and I knew Viking had a universal mount for the unusual ride so I decided to give them a try. The Viking bags came in yesterday. First off, I'd like to say that in hard mounting the Viking bags you will have to do a bit of bag drilling. The bags are made from hard plastic and require the drilling of 3/8" holes for the brackets. When I held the bags up to the F3's mounting points, I found the existing pre-drilled holes in the Viking bags almost fit the F3 perfectly...."Almost". The rear hole was about a 1'4" off. I also found that the bags would not work with the passenger hand rails, which I thought was going to be the case. Lastly, I found that for a really nice tight looking fit, you would have to modify the Viking brackets, grinding them down a bit. All in all, it took me about 1.5 hours to mount the bags.

1. Removed the seats.
    2. Removed the hand rails.
    3. Positioned the bags and marked the holes for drilling.
    4. I used the existing front hole and grommet for the front mounting point and removed the grommet from the last hole which had to be drilled slightly by about 1/4".
    5. Once I had the upper mounting holes set, I simply laid the brackets on the bag and marked the lower holes. Due to the bag size and the design of the F3, clearance was not an issue.
    6. For a clean look and to avoid the purchase of longer bolts, I removed about 1/4" of material from the upper end of the mounting bracket with a cut off grinder then smoothed it on my shop grinder.

After fabrication, I simply bolted the brackets on the bag then bolted the bags to the F3.

I think they turned out very nicely and I saved around $1,200 over the cost of a set of Can Am bags.

Chris
    AWESOME Chris....
    can you give us a website for these bags...? model number, LARGE, mid size, or small.....? etc etc etc....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R F3-S
    Last edited by SPYD3R; 06-16-2015 at 07:42 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TYPO

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    i'm betting he meant a "quarter inch" Mike.... as in 1/4".... but datz just me...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R F3-S
    Yes I agree, but I don't like to assume .............What do you think of my Passenger Handle idea ?????..........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default hmmmmmmmmmmm......

Yes I agree, but I don't like to assume .............What do you think of my Passenger Handle idea ?????..........Mike
    i'll PASS on that 1 Mike.....

a 'broom handle'......??????
    NOT....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I love that Spyderlovers (others, but not me) have so much engenuity!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's a huge savings !

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Looks great
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

you can find them with google, just look up viking bags they have a good site with lots of pics. i just put a set on my friends honda vtx and they are good bags and pretty solid , they look great on your f3!!!!!! so the question is what are you going to do with the $1200 you saved

Spyder Garage

Bags look great!

The Corbins are $1900+ I'll stick with the Can-Am bags and spend the $700 on more farkles.
    Last edited by CanAmChris; 06-17-2015 at 07:27 PM.

Spyder Garage

What mounting brackets were used?

Another Day To Be My Kid's Dad [emoji379]
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Centhor View Post

Looks brilliant. Some windshield, as well.

Spyder Garage

Default Grab Handles

I was actually thinking of running down to my local Off Road Warehouse store and grabbing a pair of roll bar handles. They should fit nicely and look great.

Spyder Garage

Default Water Resistant

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    look good with the f3!! how are they as far as water resistant, and do they have any rain covers?
    They are hard plastic so yes they are water resistant. They may have a cover, I don't know for sure, I'd have to check with Viking.

Spyder Garage

Default Mounting Brackets

Quote Originally Posted by GunDoctor View Post
    What mounting brackets were used?

Another Day To Be My Kid's Dad [emoji379]

The bags come with the mounting brackets. You can find the bags are under the Viking Universal bags area.

Spyder Garage

Default Viking Universal Bags

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    AWESOME Chris....
    can you give us a website for these bags...? model number, LARGE, mid size, or small.....? etc etc etc....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R F3-S
    Here's the website address for the Viking Universal bags.
    http://www.vikingbags.com/motorcycle...saddlebags.htm

Chris

Spyder Garage

Default Almost

Sorry for the typo, yes I meant 1/4" off....

Chris