Spyder Garage

Default STATIC on the AM radio. FM is fine. #2

August 17,2011

I am still trying to find a solution for all the static I get on AM. I have the 2011 RTS/SE5 and like it very much. The FM stereo is perfect, but not the AM. When I am idling, I don't get the static. As soon as I start to move the static starts. So far, no one has come up with the answer. I addressed the problem with Carlo at BRP, but haven't heard back yet. I also spoke to the BRP dealer and they too are waiting for a response. I thought it might be a bad ground connection, but service said it would also effect the FM, which it doesn't. Any ideas ?

Gordon

Spyder Garage

I also have that problem. When riding I can reach back and grab/ touch the antenna and it goes away for a while. It is very bad when road is bumpy. I figured it was a bad connection at the antenna and would have the dealer look at it when he does my 600 service. Please post solution when found.

Spyder Garage

Disclaimer: this is not my area of expertise. But that doesn't stop me from talking ... AM is far more susceptible to static than FM. It could come from something like a defective spark plug wire, a plug wire that isn't plugged in all the way, or possibly from something you added to the bike after purchase. Just thinking ...
    Dan

Spyder Garage

(friendly little shot over the bow to the RT guys...)

AM RADIO!! YOU RT guys are still listening to AM radio.. hahahahhahahahaha
    Do you guys hand-crank the engine to start the RT as well?

Luckily the aggressive performance styling of the RS doesn't allow for AM signals to penetrate our airspace. Thats why they didn't add that ancient AM technology to the RS platform

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motavar View Post
    (friendly little shot over the bow to the RT guys...)

AM RADIO!! YOU RT guys are still listening to AM radio.. hahahahhahahahaha
    Do you guys hand-crank the engine to start the RT as well?

Luckily the aggressive performance styling of the RS doesn't allow for AM signals to penetrate our airspace. Thats why they didn't add that ancient AM technology to the RS platform
    There is a very large audience out there for Talk Radio formats. With talk there really isn't any reason for stereo seperation and with AM frequencies the coverage is larger. Especially for the 50KW stations. Now with AM HD (High Def) even stereo sounds really good on the AM band. (However, it takes a HD radio to receive it.) So don't write off AM radio yet.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Default Static on AM

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    IMHO

AM radio isn't sustainable and the HD (hybrid digital) is just propping up a dead cat for a nice photo.

Pod casts of the Talk Radio giants will be the coming thing.
    None of them really like to take calls.
    I noticed when listening to 1210 AM or any other talk show, the hosts just talk on and on for 90% of the time. Once in a blue moon they let someone else have the floor. LOL. I really only wanted AM for some news and weather. Of course, I forgot that NOAA is on there also. Thanks for all your opinions. I haven't tried checking out the antenna as far as a possible loose connection goes. Do I have to take the trunk apart to get to it or just remove the rubber boot. I am concerned about breaking all the Tupperware parts. LOL. I just noticed from the Green Manual CD I purchased a couple of weeks ago, that you have to lift out the trunk by removing 6 screws, including 4 in the side compartments.
    Gordon
    Last edited by Motogordo; 08-19-2011 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Adding info.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default AM static grounding need

well to start looking for bad ground hard to do but take your time. on my rts found 3 bad grounds and the INTanad needs better ground. ran a 18g wire to frame and ckeck all frames grounds and now works better. also put a better int in it place not steal but glass iant works well the long the int better you will get am. hope this helps..PS.. we are still in canada still riding to thr rock in NF lane the to usa and back to west for home by nov we hope. seya all

Spyder Garage

Roger---

What about static electricity while the bike rolls? When he touched the antenna and it got better for awhile.... he drained the static potential off??
    IF that is the problem, the next question I'd what's causing it on his ryde vs others being not so bad.
    Just thinking out loud.

---
    - Sent from my iPhone7 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Ha! I DO remember those dragging strips!

I need to fire up my AM soon and listen in my helmet you're likely right on the sensors, ignition, etc. But you'd think that a company that builds receivers for mobile environments would work with the mfg of the vehicle to note and isolate noise generators.

---

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

On my 2011 RT I had significant static AM only. FM fine. After checking the electrical system with no noted problem, the dealer called BRP, and was instructed to add a new ground wire. The static did not go away completely, but it was substantially reduced and I am satisfied. I can listen to talk radio now.

Spyder Garage

Nikon- would you mind asking your dealer for some details on where that wire was added, please.

---

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I emailed the service manager at Riva MotorSports in Pampano Beach, Florida this evening and I am awaiting his response. I will let you know what I find out...hopefully in more detail than I shared already. The dealer did call BRP for the fix and there was a lot of trial and error. We'll see what they say.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Nikon- would you mind asking your dealer for some details on where that wire was added, please.

---
    According to the service manager at Riva, the tech ran a ground wire fm the battery to the coil. It worked ok for my RT. I hope this helps to reduce or eliminate your static.

Dave

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nikon View Post
    According to the service manager at Riva, the tech ran a ground wire fm the battery to the coil. It worked ok for my RT. I hope this helps to reduce or eliminate your static.

Dave
    Makes 100% logical sense. Thanks Dave!

---

Spyder Garage

hmmmm

There is a wire going from coil to ground on my Spyder and I'm pretty sure I didn't put it there because the installation looks neat & proper.

I thought the static we were discussing occurred only while the Spyder was moving.
    Since the coil fires all the time I'm having difficulty seeing how a wire, coil to ground, would help that situation.
    I tend to agree with this, in principal, but remember that the rpm increases significantly when a vehicle is moving, so static could seem to increase when moving. Relating the static to engine speed or road speed would be the best way to differentiate.

Grounding the coils and oil coolers on the Spyder was instituted via a service bulletin, to correct shifting problems with some SEs. It is standard practice now. The coils are grounded to the frame, and not directly to the battery, though.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Could be.
    Still at 1400 RPM, the spark duration is longer than at 4000 RPM and it could be argued,but I won't, that this would be a more a static prone environment especially since the static reported isn't the classic rpm whine.

FM is reportedly OK and that indicates to me something other than coil interference.

I dunno.

EDIT: Maybe spark duration isn't longer at lower rpm than higher, I'll have to look into that.
    There are a lot of confusing things about both the problem and the "fix". I personally like your theory about the noise generating sensors, although I don't know how a CANbus based system could function iwell n such an EFI-rich environment. Maybe the plastic bodywork generates static electricity as it moves through the air? Not sure how one would go about testing that theory...LOL.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Isn't Professor Irwin Corey was dead?

Spyder Garage

Default AM radio static

Well I do not think the problem with AM radio on my RT-S is static. As I stated before if I reach back and grab the antenna the radio is crackle free. After removing the antenna and trying a ground strap I just did a redneck fix. I got a short bungee cord and twisted a piece of wire around the antenna about 8" above the rubber seal at the bottom. Hooked the bungee to the wire loop and the other end to the right side passenger hand grip. Made sure everything was padded so not to leave any marks. No static, no crackle sounds, just a nice clear AM signal that is easy to listen to while riding. Of course my dealer will make a permanent fix at the next service call.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MMcc View Post
    Well I do not think the problem with AM radio on my RT-S is static. As I stated before if I reach back and grab the antenna the radio is crackle free. After removing the antenna and trying a ground strap I just did a redneck fix. I got a short bungee cord and twisted a piece of wire around the antenna about 8" above the rubber seal at the bottom. Hooked the bungee to the wire loop and the other end to the right side passenger hand grip. Made sure everything was padded so not to leave any marks. No static, no crackle sounds, just a nice clear AM signal that is easy to listen to while riding. Of course my dealer will make a permanent fix at the next service call.
    Interesting! I wonder if some techs are using too much Loctite on the antenna threads? BRP is very specific that only the very first thread is to be covered. Could all this be a result of poor electrical contact between the antenna and the base?
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Lock tight

That could be the problem. When I got the antenna loose there was lots of blue lock tight left on the threads and some on the top of the mounting bracket. Tried to clean it off and then went for a ride. Worse than ever. If I pulled the antenna towards me it worked fine thus the bungee cord fix.

Spyder Garage

I agree with Roger!! Great find. That solution can be duplicated, thus it will lead to the core problem. GREAT WORK!!

Sent from my iPhone7 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I'm curious to know what the outcome of this was. I am experiencing a thumping type of noise when listening to AM and it only occurs while riding, not at a stop. I'm taking my in for her 600 mile service and will mention it to my service dept, but wanted to know what eve came of this thread's solution.