Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Easy Rider,
    if you can, bring it to me at Spyders on the Bayou. If it does not need an alignment, it is free.
    Which is where exactly ??

Y and I will be starting our summer NASCAR tour in about 3 weeks.
    When not on the road, we live in Florida.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Remember we here are trying to help you.
    Yes I understand that and appreciate the effort.

But sometimes well meaning folks with good intentions can give out some incredibly BAD advice.
    Not that I think that applies here.
    One just has to carefully sort through the recommendations.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 03-14-2018 at 09:18 AM.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you.
    Alas, no room in my calendar at that time.

Spyder Garage

Since you are in Florida maybe this guy can help. He invented the laser alignment system. He aligned our first spyder. http://www.spydercomfort.com/index.html
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OK......you guys have me convinced.

After another TERRIBLE ride yesterday.....during which time I was thinking about doing some test rides on Goldwing Trikes.......I decided to have the alignment done. Thinking back to how much improvement it made on my first motorhome helped me decide.

Now to find time to schedule it.

Spyder Garage

Default UNSTABLE FEELING

Ride your bike at least to 3 k miles at your pace on roads that are not making any added stress before spending . I found it takes time to relax but they are very safe and fun.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    No. But the symptoms are not typical for an alignment problem.

And if the tires are crap, they are crap and need to be replaced anyway.
    They are not crap. They do their job extremely well.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default My unbiased, honest assessment!

OK......you guys have me convinced.

After another TERRIBLE ride yesterday.....during which time I was thinking about doing some test rides on Goldwing Trikes.......I decided to have the alignment done. Thinking back to how much improvement it made on my first motorhome helped me decide.

Now to find time to schedule it.
    I think you and I seem to follow the same threads and have the same concerns.
    I ryde a 2017 F3t, so we are going to have a different ryding experience even if all is perfect.
    I first checked my air pressure and everything was ok...
    I had the laser alignment and didn't feel too much difference (maybe slightly better feel )..
    Last week put on the upgraded Sway Bars and again, maybe a slight difference..
    Yesterday I ordered an F4 customs 23" vented shield to minimize or eliminate the wind buffeting.
    I am hoping this will be the piece that makes everything better!
    I sometimes ryde at 80 mph with no issues and then at 60mph feeling very unstable!!
    It's been a process trying to figure this out where I can truly enjoy this machine...
    I will post the results of the windshield after it is tested next week.
    Last edited by Jeffmal; 03-23-2018 at 01:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmal View Post
    I ryde an 2017 F3t, so we are going to have a different ryding experience even if all is perfect.
    I first checked my air pressure and everything was ok...
    I had the laser alignment and didn't feel too much difference (maybe slightly better feel )..
    Last week put on the upgraded Sway Bars and again, maybe a slight difference..
    Yesterday I ordered an F4 customs 23" vented shield to minimize or eliminate the wind buffeting.
    I am hoping this will be the piece that makes everything better!
    I sometimes ryde at 80 mph with no issues and then at 60mph feeling very unstable!!
    It's been a process trying to figure this out where I can truly enjoy this machine...
    I will post the results of the windshield after it is tested next week.
    It takes some time to hit the right combination. I just did a 1,400 mile weekend on our 2016 F3L, rain, shine, cold and warm. It was great. Did a cross country trip on it last year 7,300 miles.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It takes some time to hit the right combination. I just did a 1,400 mile weekend on our 2016 F3L, rain, shine, cold and warm. It was great. Did a cross country trip on it last year 7,300 miles.
    I did the same ride and got great performance from my bone-stock RT with Kenda front tires. Chased a BMW through the twisties and straightaways with no trouble then drove 500 miles home towing a trailer. Solid as a rock.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default It's All In The Eye of The Beholder!

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Where is Spyder on the Bayou event

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Easy Rider,
    if you can, bring it to me at Spyders on the Bayou. If it does not need an alignment, it is free. We should be able to help you, or at least eliminate the variables. I hope you can make it! Joe
    Is this and event and where. I am having the same issues. I want to have a laser alignment done but no one around here does them. My closest laser alignment is about 4 hours from me. I spent some time yesterday trying to confirm this and can't find anyone who can do it. I am a school teacher and have time a couple of months from now. Mine is sometimes even treacherous at 70 MPH. It makes me a little nervous and I have been on motorcycles my entire life. I want to solve this problem. I am going to try some different tire pressures this weekend.

I have several Can Am Dealers around here with shops but none of them do laser alignment.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by honda View Post
    Ride your bike at least to 3 k miles at your pace on roads that are not making any added stress before spending . I found it takes time to relax but they are very safe and fun.
    If you had read the WHOLE thread, you should have noticed that I am approaching 3,000 miles now.
    I am TRYING to make sure that something really needs to be done........but I can't take it anymore.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think the votes are about 100 to 1 against you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmal View Post
    Have you tried increasing the air in the tires a bit over the basic recommendation ?
    Or setting the rear suspension to "soft".....if you have that adjustment ?

My local shop is run by a bunch of morons. Ride Now SUCKS.

They refuse to install the hand brake lever for me so they get NONE of my business.
    I'll be taking it to Brooksville next week for 3K service, alignment and brake lever.....hopefully.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mahaflac View Post
    It makes me a little nervous and I have been on motorcycles my entire life.
    How many Spyder miles do you have so far ?

I haven't been able to shake this niggling little feeling that some people might never feel comfortable on one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How many Spyder miles do you have so far? I haven't been able to shake this niggling little feeling that some people might never feel comfortable on one.
    Real enthusiasts just ride the frigging things and love every minute of it. There's a lot of wannabes in the ryding community, methinks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think the votes are about 100 to 1 against you.
    I don't really give a crap. I know this is the best machine I've ever ridden and I ride the hell out of it without worrying about whether I should have done this or that to it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mahaflac View Post
    Is this and event and where. I am having the same issues. I want to have a laser alignment done but no one around here does them. My closest laser alignment is about 4 hours from me. I spent some time yesterday trying to confirm this and can't find anyone who can do it. I am a school teacher and have time a couple of months from now. Mine is sometimes even treacherous at 70 MPH. It makes me a little nervous and I have been on motorcycles my entire life. I want to solve this problem. I am going to try some different tire pressures this weekend.

I have several Can Am Dealers around here with shops but none of them do laser alignment.
    I have never had a laser alignment. I have 15,000 miles on my bike so far and I've had no issues with it whatsoever.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I've ridden my (new to me) 2011 RT manual 3000 miles. It was unstable. It was scary at highway speeds. NO fun. It would dodge all over the road. I just had it aligned. It's a new bike. My wife noticed immediately from the passenger seat. Now it's like on rails.
    I live in Ohio but have been in Florida for two months. Mike Loescher did the alignment in Edgewater Florida. He is the inventor of the laser system. So for me it was well worth the money. Maybe that explains why I'm the third owner of a bike that I bought with 1500 miles.
    I guess some bikes come out of the factory aligned better than others.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Real enthusiasts just ride the frigging things and love every minute of it. There's a lot of wannabes in the ryding community, methinks.
    Not exactly sure what you mean by that.

Some people shouldn't be on the road at all.....no matter how many wheels.
    Some "bike riders" never seem to figure out how to ride right on 2 wheels no matter how many miles they accomplish but that is a matter of not learning the proper techniques.......or being so dense that they don't know that there is a better way.

I don't think that anyone should force themselves to ride something that they aren't really comfortable on; doing that doesn't qualify you as an "enthusiast" in my book.

Spyder Garage

Default I totally agree

I don't really give a crap. I know this is the best machine I've ever ridden and I ride the hell out of it without worrying about whether I should have done this or that to it.
    I'm with UtahPete. Especially about the tires.

I'm a retired Engineer and I get just a bit tired of people who are not engineers or if they are, didn't design Spyders for a living, saying that the Engineers who did design them don't know what they are doing or would put tires on them that are substandard. Everybody gets to state there opinion, but you don't get your own facts. I take this personally because the things I designed could kill you in a hurry or burn your house down if I didn't do it right and my electrical products were in and around millions of homes and companies.

My Spyder is bone stock and goes like a bat out of hell and handles just fine up to and over 100 mph. There is no question that over 100 mph it is not like a straight line bike because you don't have a single gyroscopic wheel in the front, but then you just have to be easy on the grip and make sure you have the thottle turned as far as it can go.

When I was at the Valcourt Spyder Engineering facility las June, I spoke with the Chief Engineer. He had been talking with another Spyder owner who said he appreciated the computer keeping him out of trouble. He said, yes we started calling it the nanny as well. I spoke up and said, I make it a point to get at least one tire off the ground EVERY time I take it out. He smiled, pointed his finger at me and said, YOUR THE GUY! Then we both laughed.
    Last edited by JFD; 03-24-2018 at 10:07 AM. Reason: typo

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by honda View Post
    He already has.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

I have never had a laser alignment. I have 15,000 miles on my bike so far and I've had no issues with it whatsoever.
    Both of ours were out. Our 2012 RT was way out, toe out on both front wheels. 2016 F3L was crabbing to the right.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250