Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Belt Tension Measurement With Krikit II?

I know this has been covered in past threads, and I have read several, but I'm still somewhat confused about the procedure for measuring the belt tension with the Krikit II from NAPA. Sorry if this is redundant.

Should the rear wheel be off the ground, as in the procedure with the BRP gauge, or on the ground? Should the Krikit II be placed midway between the sprockets or elsewhere?

I do understand that the measurements will be different with the Kirkit II compared to the BRP gauge so the normal tension figures published by BRP can't be used, but what would the normal range be as determined by the Krikit II (I can't use a reading done after the dealer sets the tension because I have not had a dealer do this)?

I'm getting 140 lb. with the wheel off the ground, 160 lb. on the ground, measurement done about midway between sprokets (opposite passenger footpeg). The belt does rotate almost exaclty 90 degrees at that position as has been suggested. Is this in the ballpark?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

Registered Users InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by liketoride2 View Post
    I know this has been covered in past threads, and I have read several, but I'm still somewhat confused about the procedure for measuring the belt tension with the Krikit II from NAPA. Sorry if this is redundant.

Should the rear wheel be off the ground, as in the procedure with the BRP gauge, or on the ground? Should the Krikit II be placed midway between the sprockets or elsewhere?

I do understand that the measurements will be different with the Kirkit II compared to the BRP gauge so the normal tension figures published by BRP can't be used, but what would the normal range be as determined by the Krikit II (I can't use a reading done after the dealer sets the tension because I have not had a dealer do this)?

I'm getting 140 lb. with the wheel off the ground, 160 lb. on the ground, measurement done about midway between sprokets (opposite passenger footpeg). The belt does rotate almost exaclty 90 degrees at that position as has been suggested. Is this in the ballpark?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike
    Mike,
    It sounds like you are right in the ball park. I am getting the same readings with my krikit II and in speaking with Scotty it appears that this is a good setting, providing that you took more than 1 reading and they were all pretty consistant.
    Have Fun and Ryde Safe C-YA RL
    It wasn't MEEEEE!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I also found out that my belt is loose as well, I don't know how to do this and I am afraid to ride it to dealer that is a hour and half away. A few week ago the last time I rode the spyder I was getting a lot of vibration at many different speeds and wondered what it was now I know, can't say it's dangerously loose and might come off but I know it not right.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

what is the part number for this product? NBH KR2 is this it?
    I had to sell my spyderstill love the Spyderlovers

Duane

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Duane,

The NAPA invoice lists the part number as KR-2, line NBH. It also says 7401-0102 on the box it came in. My local NAPA store didn't have a notion as to what a Krikit was and had to call somewhere to get the part number, then order it, although it only took overnight for them to get it.

Belt manufacturer Gates also sells this item (I assume NAPA gets them from Gates) and these can be ordered through a variety of sources such as Amazon. The Gates version is also called the Krikit II.

Hope this is of some help.

Thanks for the feedback Inspector Gadget, much appreciated.

Mike
    Last edited by liketoride2; 05-05-2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: addition

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

thank you liketoride I found this https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...006447252&An=0

I think it is the part. I am ordering it online.
    I had to sell my spyderstill love the Spyderlovers

Duane

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Duane,

Yes, that's exactly what I purchased. It seems to work well - the results were very consistent over several readings.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Unhappy 09 Spyder GT Belt Tension

I bought a Spyder a few months ago a left over 09 I now have about a 100 miles on it and am getting weird low speed noises.I checked belt tension with the Krkit and with wheel on ground I get 240 lb of tension checked it three times plus the belt is rubbing flange so much for dealer prep I guess.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by che57vy View Post
    I bought a Spyder a few months ago a left over 09 I now have about a 100 miles on it and am getting weird low speed noises.I checked belt tension with the Krkit and with wheel on ground I get 240 lb of tension checked it three times plus the belt is rubbing flange so much for dealer prep I guess.
    Get that tension down, too high...
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires