Spyder Garage

Default Some new farkles and a question!

Hi All,

With it snowing outside I finally got around to installing Doc's belt tensioner. Was really easy! I was impressed by the effort he has put into it, comparing what I got versus the older versions on the videos! The small things like finding a shoulder screw with a tiny 5mm socket head, instead of using pliers to tighten it up and remove later were really cool. The vibrations appear to be gone, couldn't ride to far being 40 degrees and snowflakes, was cold!

I installed LaMonsters pegs. Piece of cake. But now the question: I installed exactly like the video - see the pic below - , but even at 6'5" I feel like I am running spread eagle down the road . My knees want to "fall in." I got the large grip foot pegs. After looking at it and trying to see if I did something wrong, I just think I prefer my feet pretty much where they are on the floor boards, but forward. Looks like I can do this if i get the shorter pegs and install on the inside of the brace. Cruising down the road I liked putting my feet on the black deflector, so a peg right above that I'm thinking is the right spot - except the large peg won't fit if I flip it over to the inside .

Anyhooo... I was looking for feedback from other people that have installed and use the pegs! Did I mess up the install? Is it just my old hips complaining?

Thanks for feedback!
    Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Nice farkles.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!! Glad the install went easy for you!!
    Hoping for a short winter and an early spring for us all!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You did a "fantabulous" job!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Nice work. I believe you've helped me to decide about both farkles. The belt tensioner seems like a very sensible thing and it's reaxxuring that the installation is straight forward - I don't like complex any longer if I can avoid it. And, more importantly, I believe you've helped me decide which Lamonster highway peg version to get. It seems to me that his NBV setup doesn't place the feet out as far as his floorboard mounted version does. My only problem is locating sufficient disposable $$$ for all the goodies I would like to have. Oh, not to mention the goodies my bride wants for her Spyder. Oh, the agony of it all!
    Last edited by Arion; 12-14-2017 at 02:34 PM.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Steve from another Steve,I had the rivco pegs that attached to the floorboards and felt like a spread eagle also,I ended up removing them and selling them to another member.I am also 6'4,too tall for pegs,I also just like my feet on the floorboards.By the way you did install them right.

Spyder Garage

Nice install/ and Farkles!!!

Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 01-22-2018 at 07:20 PM. Reason: added to post on 1/22/2018 @7:20 pm

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

When you installed your pegs did you get the Arc Links?
    http://www.lamonstergarage.com/4-arc-link/
    They made a big difference for my peg position...

NBV Brackets & Kuryakyn Widow Pegs.jpgIMG_20150118_175213.jpg
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Cool Pegs

I originally purchased and installed on my RTL Rivco's floorboard highway peg mount and purchased Kuryakyn Black widow Pegs. Took a while to finally realized that I Loved them. I was able to stretch legs out straight. While at a Spyder rally I was told that the design would not allow the floorboard to break free if a hard brake was applied, so I removed the Rivco and installed Lamonts highway mounts using my widow pegs and I also feel like I'm spread eagle. Really perfer the comfort of Rivco's but I haven't taken the time to change them back. But If you ride enough then you can get more comfortable with the wide spread.

Spyder Garage

Default Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Guy View Post

No, just the one arcing piece. The Arc with all the holes is another accessory the LaMont said few people use. I like where your pegs landed. That's pretty much where I want them, right above the black plastic fairing. But that's a different kit. I think if I get the short pegs I can install on the inside of the mount, which should put them right where you have yours. I'll ask LaMont if I can trade pegs, or chop down the ones I have.

Steve

Spyder Garage

Default Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    Nice work. I believe you've helped me to decide about both farkles. The belt tensioner seems like a very sensible thing and it's reaxxuring that the installation is straight forward - I don't like complex any longer if I can avoid it. And, more importantly, I believe you've helped me decide which Lamonster highway peg version to get. It seems to me that his NBV setup doesn't place the feet out as far as his floorboard mounted version does. My only problem is locating sufficient disposable $$$ for all the goodies I would like to have. Oh, not to mention the goodies my bride wants for her Spyder. Oh, the agony of it all!
    Yeah the floorboard mount really puts the pegs out to the side - my feet are right behind the front tires! But it's too late for me now. Once I saw the pic of the NBV kit in this thread, I realized that is the one that I should have got. But again, I'm gonna try to get the small pegs and mount to the inside.

As for Doc's kit - super dang simple. Watch the video on his site. The only "trick" is to get the roller centered on the belt when you tighten the bolts. Took 2-3 tries then I got it. Definitely worth it, if you get the shakes at few different speeds! All gone now.

Steve

Spyder Garage

stevencovert,

If your feeling pain in the groin area, and your old hips, you may have tight hip adductors. Do you sit a lot? You can try stretching, and maybe some foam rolling. If you google, you’ll find stretches for your adductors.
    Last edited by wyliec; 12-15-2017 at 09:28 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Guy View Post

Unless I'm mistaken yours are Lamonster's No Bad Vibes version rather than the Floor Board mount versions that spread-eagle the original poster's legs. Yours appear to place feet closer to the centerline of the machine. They're the ones I hope to mount. I'm not a fan of the Ob-Gyn leg position. Oh, did I say that out loud? Nice installation and peg choice by the way!
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe you've helped me decide which Lamonster highway peg version to get. It seems to me that his NBV setup doesn't place the feet out as far as his floorboard mounted version does.
    I agree. The NBV version, which I have on both bikes, provides the position you're looking for. More work to install though.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Unless I'm mistaken yours are Lamonster's No Bad Vibes version rather than the Floor Board mount versions that spread-eagle the original poster's legs. Yours appear to place feet closer to the centerline of the machine. They're the ones I hope to mount. I'm not a fan of the Ob-Gyn leg position. Oh, did I say that out loud? Nice installation and peg choice by the way!
    Yes they are the No Bad Vibes
    I too prefer not to do the spiltz rippin' down the road!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default The final answer!

The footpegs as is were far too wide, even for my long legs. I ended up cutting the pegs in half, and mounting on the inside of the arc-arm. Great spot now. In hindsight, I should have gotten the other kit that mounts to the frame and puts the pegs closer.
    Attached Images Attached Images