Spyder Garage

Default Trailer for my Spyder

Does anyone have any experience with a Lamar Tilt-Deck trailer and specifically can you load your spyder onto it? Link has pictures towards bottom of page. Thanks, Kent.

http://tbtrailersales.com/utility-tr...ventory_id=280
    Ride Safe All
    2014 RT Limited (Charlotte) in Cognac, Kuryakyn Grips,Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Rivco Armrests, a "finless" BT Dongle, TricLed Fender, Saddlebag, 3rd & 4th brake Lights, Custom Dynamics "Magic Strobes Brake Flasher", BajaRon Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters, Lighted Bumpskid, Rivco Highway Pegs, Rivco Cup Holders and Baker Built Air Wings. 215/60R-15 General Altimax Rt rear tire. 155/60R15 Kumho Solus front tires.

Spyder Garage

Nobody has any thoughts or experience? What about any tilt bed trailer?

Thanks for any input. Kent
    Ride Safe All
    2014 RT Limited (Charlotte) in Cognac, Kuryakyn Grips,Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Rivco Armrests, a "finless" BT Dongle, TricLed Fender, Saddlebag, 3rd & 4th brake Lights, Custom Dynamics "Magic Strobes Brake Flasher", BajaRon Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters, Lighted Bumpskid, Rivco Highway Pegs, Rivco Cup Holders and Baker Built Air Wings. 215/60R-15 General Altimax Rt rear tire. 155/60R15 Kumho Solus front tires.

Spyder Garage

I'm going to be looking for a trailer as well. Just sold my truck so it needs to pull double duty as a general utility trailer as well as something I can haul the bike around with the motorhome.

I hadn't thought about a tilt trailer, but that does make sense. Don't have to mess with a loading ramp/tailgate. That particular trailer doesn't have any tiedowns, but they would be easy enough to add on. You might even want to just put in two MC chocks toward the front and make it simple. Price looks to be pretty fair as well. The thing about buying an old trailer is that most of the time they come with old rubber, so unless they are priced way below new, they may not be as much of a bargain. I'd go for it, but test it out with the bike to make sure it all works for you.
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

I have to travel from Santa Fe, NM to purchase this trailer as I cannot find one here for this price, every dealer here is asking $700-$800 more! I cannot find a decent used one that doesn't need the wood replaced or are otherwise beat up and they still want $600-$700. Tie downs aren't my concern at this time as I can add what I want and need after the purchase. What I really want to make sure of is can I load the Spyder without using 2X6's as a ramp to clear the nose of the bike. Thanks Eviltwin for the thoughts and suggestions.

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltwin View Post
    I'm going to be looking for a trailer as well. Just sold my truck so it needs to pull double duty as a general utility trailer as well as something I can haul the bike around with the motorhome.

I hadn't thought about a tilt trailer, but that does make sense. Don't have to mess with a loading ramp/tailgate. That particular trailer doesn't have any tiedowns, but they would be easy enough to add on. You might even want to just put in two MC chocks toward the front and make it simple. Price looks to be pretty fair as well. The thing about buying an old trailer is that most of the time they come with old rubber, so unless they are priced way below new, they may not be as much of a bargain. I'd go for it, but test it out with the bike to make sure it all works for you.
    Ride Safe All

Spyder Garage

Default width

Measure the width of the trailer between the superstructure. The utility trailer I bought only was four inches wider than the fenders of my F3 and it was such a nightmare that I had to cut off the superstructure with a band saw. I couldn't move the wheels more than a few degrees as I loaded the bike. I would recommend that the trailer be at least a foot wider than the fender width of your Spyder. Six inches on each side should allow you to manuever the bike without too many headaches.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had a 5x8 tilt bed trailer for my motorcycle once. Make sure you have a non-slip deck surface, because when it's wet AND tilted it is tricky to keep a bike from slipping once you reach the tipping point. Imagine holding a bike on a teeter-totter. Not so critical with a trike, but still. I ended up refinishing the bare wood with sand and epoxy deck paint.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Thank you for all the ideas and suggestions, I will take them into consideration.

Kent
    Ride Safe All

Spyder Garage

I have no Spyder trailering experience; however, looking at the picture of the Lamar I question whether or not you are going to have Spyder nose clearance when the front wheels meet the rear edge of the tilted bed. If the bike has a bump skid the problem would be even worse, in which case it would reduce the attractiveness of the tilt bed. Having to carry extra two by sixes to use a tilt bed would be nuisance, IMO. YMMV.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Tilt Trailer

I think the Lamar trailer should work OK. I have used my 5ft by 12ft Triton tilt trailer to haul my RT. It has very short sides so the fenders cannot hit and I have about an inch clearance at the tires. I use short ramps for each front tire to keep the nose from contacting the tilted bed. The RT goes up the bed OK and stays there with the parking brake.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by remark2013 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with a Lamar Tilt-Deck trailer and specifically can you load your spyder onto it? Link has pictures towards bottom of page. Thanks, Kent.

I rented one very similar to that when I picked up my RTL and the nose cleared just fine.

Spyder Garage

Default nose clearance

I had exactly that problem with my trailer. What I did because I liked the short trailer was to cut out the center section of the forward bulkhead and pad the vertical supports so the Spyder wasn't damaged if it bounced up against either of the verticals. One piece of advice, I wasted a lot of money on expensive racing roll bar padding that didn't fit the angle iron the superstructure was built out of. I eventually used inexpensive pipe insulation covered with white duct tape and it works and looks very well. It even looks professional.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Did you get the trailer?

I am looking at this very same trailer (not sure if same name brand) at 12 feet by 77 inches. I'm wondering how it worked out for you? Was there any problems with the front of the Spyder hitting the trailer when lowered, or anything else I should be concerned about?

Thank you.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I rented one that looks very similar to this one and it worked very well for loading/unloading the Spyder. It was a bit on the heavy side and hard for the Ford F-150 V6 to pull through the mountains but otherwise pulled well.