Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4am Spyder Ryde

Spyder Garage

Default 4am Spyder Ryde

Set out at 4am this morning to get some Milky Way shots, and my Spyder wanted a "selfie!"

No photoshop.. Couldn't believe that I got the vertical Milky Way, Jupiter, reflecting water, and a shooting star in one shot!

This was taken about 5am, and 15 miles south of Junction, Texas on the South Llano River. IT WAS 37 DEGREES! The 'cold' isn't supposed to be down here now!

After this, I slept for a couple of hours and then hit the Twisted Sisters and some other routes.

Spyders are awesome!
    Spyder Milky Way Jupiter by Todd Ehrlich, on Flickr
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Kudos, you do have a blessed location for outdoor shots! Pretty Spyder there too.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Pics

We really enjoy your photo posts, keep them coming and ryde safe!

Rick & Kathy
    currently Henderson County NC from Ellis County TX
    2021 RTL
    2017 F3T , silver black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott 76065 View Post
    We really enjoy your photo posts, keep them coming and ryde safe!
    Oh my! Anyone that has ever driven / ridden in this part of Texas soon finds out how many deer there are! At 4am, they are everywhere! I was going about 45mph in a 75mph highway! Glowing eyes all over the place.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Awesome Photo!

Pat

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    Set out at 4am this morning to get some Milky Way shots, and my Spyder wanted a "selfie!"

No photoshop.. Couldn't believe that I got the vertical Milky Way, Jupiter, reflecting water, and a shooting star in one shot!

This was taken about 5am, and 15 miles south of Junction, Texas on the South Llano River. IT WAS 37 DEGREES! The 'cold' isn't supposed to be down here now!

After this, I slept for a couple of hours and then hit the Twisted Sisters and some other routes.

Spyders are awesome!
    Amateur photographer here. Have gotten a couple washed out Milky Way shots from down here but nowhere easily accessible that's dark enough close by. A little dangerous out there with expensive gear alone in the dark. The place I've gone to a few times is a known party, homeless, gypsy zone.
    Fuji X-E2 18-55 and 55-200 here. What are you shooting. The pic is magnificent.

Spyder Garage

Very nice & how you got you eyes to focus enough for the pic & trip even better know I was sleeping had at that time of day I did however snag a nice pano with my phone after Friday's storms here, right off my driveway looking E. Srz no IMG_8081.jpg yes it's a double

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk1966 View Post
    Amateur photographer here. Have gotten a couple washed out Milky Way shots from down here but nowhere easily accessible that's dark enough close by. A little dangerous out there with expensive gear alone in the dark. The place I've gone to a few times is a known party, homeless, gypsy zone.
    Fuji X-E2 18-55 and 55-200 here. What are you shooting. The pic is magnificent.
    Thanks!

Last year, I was way out in a remote area of a river taking MW shots. Dark as can be. Out of nowhere appears a very frail skeletal woman in a tattered bikini. She was frantic, and couldn't stop talking. She lost her friends, phone was drenched. Lost, etc., etc. She was the stereotypical "meth" addict in appearance.

I didn't know what to do so, I gave her a ride into the neighboring town where she said she was visiting her father. I dropped her off in front of a broken down mobile home. She gets out, and runs right past it and into the woods.

I go back to the river to finish taking my pictures.

The next day, I mention it to my wife, and she chastises me because that's one tactic of how meth-addicted groups will steal money. They have a bait person, and then they jump on the victim in another location.

Then, she chastised me some more because she wanted me to think about how it would've looked if I was pulled over with the local meth girl, at 1am, with all of the camera gear! LOL!

I look back on that night, and wonder if I did the right thing. I always carry my gun, but I think if anything like this happens again, I'll just call the sheriff to help her. It was not worth risking my well-being and reputation!

Got some great shots though!Llano Reflect Milky Way 1 by Todd Ehrlich, on Flickr

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Very nice & how you got you eyes to focus enough for the pic & trip even better know I was sleeping had at that time of day I did however snag a nice pano with my phone after Friday's storms here, right off my driveway looking E. Srz no IMG_8081.jpg yes it's a double
    Awesome! We don't get a lot of rainbows around here. I'm always looking to take one.

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Default Awesome...!!

Amazing picture... I did enjoy a Texas sky in the early morn...But your right about the deer....hard to look up at the sky while watching for them...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Fantastic pictures.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Awesome photos, those need to be on a Spyder Calendar !
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for making it possible for the rest of us to sleep past "Zero-Dark-Thirty"...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I look back on that night, and wonder if I did the right thing. I always carry my gun, but I think if anything like this happens again, I'll just call the sheriff to help her. It was not worth risking my well-being and reputation!
    That shot was amazing. Looks like opal instead of water. As for the girl. I'm for calling the cops. You never know what situation you might be getting drawn into. I used to pick up hitchhikers because I knew what walking long miles along the highway (crossing bridges is crazy scary!) until one chick pulled a knife on me. After that being nice took a backseat to being safe.

Spyder Garage

Great shots, Todd...thanks for sharing these!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the picture!

Keep the pictures coming. Also nice looking spyder!

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Oh my! Anyone that has ever driven / ridden in this part of Texas soon finds out how many deer there are! At 4am, they are everywhere! I was going about 45mph in a 75mph highway! Glowing eyes all over the place.
    We we’re on our way down to your area last week on I10 after dark, my eyes were going crazy sweeping side to side watching for critters. And, as always happens, Joe’s SENA died so I couldn’t warn him of deer.

Thanks for the pictures.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

beautiful shots,You have a great eye and the skill to capture what you see. I'm sure this has been asked before and I missed the answer,but what are you shooting with and what were your settings?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

WOW!!!! BRP could use you for advertising

Spyder Garage

Fantastic picture. You should enter that one in a contest.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Picture

All very good pictures indeed.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

That is indeed an awesome photo, well done!

I'm new on here, so I don't know if you've shared this previously. But what camera/lens are you using? What sort of settings are you using for this kind of photo?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gremy View Post
    That is indeed an awesome photo, well done!

I'm new on here, so I don't know if you've shared this previously. But what camera/lens are you using? What sort of settings are you using for this kind of photo?
    Yes, same here........truly amazing.
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

First of all... you do NOT need a super expensive setup for a shot like this. The hardest thing is to KNOW WHEN you can get this shot. You'll soon learn to watch moon phases and HATE a full moon. It blows out the sky with light.

I use an app called "Photo Pills." It is a ridiculous amount of information like timing for sun/moon position at any time and at any location. AND.... get this.... you can see THROUGH your phone in virtual reality on the Milky Way position at different times. Therefore you can get a perfectly timed position for the Milky Way core, which is in the above pictures.

You need a fairly high resolution camera, but resolution is not what really is important. I have one camera that is ONLY a 12mp camera but it is very effective in seeing stars. Sony A7Sii. I used it to take the "meth girl" picture above. The Spyder Milky Way picture was taken with a Sony A7Rii camera with 42mp resolution. These are expensive cameras.. But... the prices are drastically falling because Sony is coming out with newer models. Just do a search on Craigslist. You'll find many.

Wide angle FAST lens. Meaning: a lens that sees a lot of area. My lens is a Zeiss 2.8/18 lens. "18" means how wide the angle is. This is very wide. Any wider, and it would start to look like "fish eye." The "2.8" is the Fstop. This is how WIDE the aperture will open. It is an inverse number. The smaller the number, the larger it can open. This is good because it allows more light (stars) into it. But... the focus depth is very tight. You can get blurry stars very quickly if not focused exactly!

Tripod. No way you could hold a camera and take star pictures clearly. I use a tripod called a "Three Legged Thing." No kidding! Just like a Spyder! I have the Winston model x 2, and another smaller one that fits in the trunk of the Spyder.

Remote control of the camera, or delayed trigger. You can't touch the camera and take the picture at the same time. The slightest movement will make everything blurry.

Wide open F stop. Mine is 2.8.
    Long exposure. Every camera is different. My Sony's are VERY good at low light. I only need 10-15 seconds. Other cameras need up to 30 seconds. You can't take it longer than 30 seconds though! The rotation of the earth actually makes the stars start to "trail" and you lose the pinpoint lights.
    High ISO. This is how sensitive you set the sensor. If you remember film-based cameras, you would buy your film by "speed" 200, 400, 800, etc. A digital camera has the same thing. My two cameras have different sensitivities. My A7Sii can literally see in the dark, so it needs a lower ISO setting... like 800-1600. My A7Rii needs 1600-3200 ISO.

You must take the picture in RAW format, not JPEG. You can turn colors up and down a lot easier.

You must use a program to process the image. I use Adobe Lightroom. Many pro photographers use this.
    South Llano MW Reflected by Todd Ehrlich, on Flickr

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

You MUST have a Spyder to zip you around and get in the right location!

This was in Big Bend NP last year. I rode my Spyder all over that park (the paved roads.) There was a stretch of time that I didn't see another human for 23 hours!! Big Bend NP is huge. It is also the darkest place in the USA. "Light pollution" will blow out the sky.
    Spyder Milky Way by Todd Ehrlich, on Flickr

2015 RT Limited , black