Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Jcthorne, as I mentioned above the debate about modulators has gone on since they were introduced. I found it rather striking this morning how the local police chief reacted when I told him about this situation. He is totally on the opposite end of thinking from you. He was very adamant about how headlight modulators really enhance the safety of m/c riders.

There probably will never be agreement between the proponents and opponents of modulators. I'm sure there are law enforcement folks who agree with you, but this one certainly does not!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    At first I wondered why everyone was getting over when I followed them in the fast lane. Then I realized that the top edge of the shuttered low beam sat just below the mirror on the average car. So the slightest bump 'Flashed' the car in front of me.
    so how does one adjust for that ... ? Mine is about the same as yours and it appears to some like I am flashing my headlight ...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkreig View Post
    so how does one adjust for that ... ? Mine is about the same as yours and it appears to some like I am flashing my headlight ...
    High beam setting during the daytime.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Jcthorne, as I mentioned above the debate about modulators has gone on since they were introduced. I found it rather striking this morning how the local police chief reacted when I told him about this situation. He is totally on the opposite end of thinking from you. He was very adamant about how headlight modulators really enhance the safety of m/c riders.

There probably will never be agreement between the proponents and opponents of modulators. I'm sure there are law enforcement folks who agree with you, but this one certainly does not!
    We will have to agree to disagree on this one. Our riding club does require modulators to be turned off when riding in the group.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, the issue looks like it is about to be fully resolved! ... I've decided not to file one. But I'm thinking it might be worthwhile to send a letter to the ISP Director so he can make sure all ISP officers are aware of headlight modulators and the role they play in motorcycle safety.
    Congratulations on a successful outcome.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default The latest

Here's the latest in this saga. I got my Notice of Hearing last week from the court. I talked to the Deputy Prosecutor this morning and he had a Post-It note on his desk about this. He asked me to tell him about modulators. After I explained what they do he said, "That's why my motorcycle headlight does that! I thought there was something wrong with it!" He will dismiss the ticket when the hearing date comes up. I'll get an official notice a few weeks after that.

He strongly recommended I contact my legislator and have the modulator provision put back into the Idaho Code so there is no question the next time someone gets stopped. I'm soliciting the help of Idaho STAR, the motorcycle safety organization, and the Idaho District of GWRRA to help.

I sent an email to the Director of the Idaho State Police to make him aware of this particular case and asked him to make sure all officers around the state know about modulators. I just had a phone conversation with his assistant who said he got my email and would handle it. The final outcome? Who knows? But at least they know there is at least a little bit of lack of information within the ISP force.

So as they say, all's well that ends well!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's the latest in this saga. I got my Notice of Hearing last week from the court. I talked to the Deputy Prosecutor this morning and he had a Post-It note on his desk about this. He asked me to tell him about modulators. After I explained what they do he said, "That's why my motorcycle headlight does that! I thought there was something wrong with it!" He will dismiss the ticket when the hearing date comes up. I'll get an official notice a few weeks after that.

He strongly recommended I contact my legislator and have the modulator provision put back into the Idaho Code so there is no question the next time someone gets stopped. I'm soliciting the help of Idaho STAR, the motorcycle safety organization, and the Idaho District of GWRRA to help.

I sent an email to the Director of the Idaho State Police to make him aware of this particular case and asked him to make sure all officers around the state know about modulators. I just had a phone conversation with his assistant who said he got my email and would handle it. The final outcome? Who knows? But at least they know there is at least a little bit of lack of information within the ISP force.
    It's nice to know the system works. The key I think was your determination to work within the system to not only resolve your own case but to fix what was broken if you could.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    Only the PA can toss the ticket. When you call/send him the info, if he isn't a moron they will drop it. If not of course, you have a false arrest case.

I'm surprised that a state trouper would make that mistake, but then again another of your troupers (with a Napoleonic complex) stopped me for "passing on the right" on I84. After, bringing to his attention that I had been undercover for WA, and "I'm sure that you are correct, in ID, but not in WA", he decided to give me a firm warning and let me go.
    He has to be arrested or detained to claim false arrest

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_arrest
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    How is it even possible to modulate the headlights on a 2014RT? There is no hi / low beam on those.
    I have a High and Low beam on my 2010 RTS.

........." It's a Great Life if you don't weaken' ".........

"You don't stop having fun when you get old...
    you get old when you stop having fun"

" Remember, Aging is Mandatory...
    Maturing is Optional "
    2014 RTS Limited , Matt Grey

Spyder Garage

So as they say, all's well that ends well!

It may surprise you but I am glad to hear the law enforcement aspect of this got resolved in your favor. The law is the law, no mater if I agree with it or not.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OKey View Post
    I have a High and Low beam on my 2010 RTS.
    There is a shutter that moves when high/low beam is activated. For low beam, part of the bulb is covered up. There are not separate filaments for high or low beam. The shutter movement is what causes the click when changing from one setting to the other.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It continuously changes from high beam, to low beam. It makes you more visible, while completely annoying everyone around you!
    Actually, it interrupts the ground signal to the headlight causing it to "flash" on and off. The legal ones are required to flash within a certain frequency range, can be disabled (on my two-wheeler it was simply changing from low to high beam and back within one second) and it cannot flash at night. So they (are supposed to) have a day/night sensor so they do not flash at night.

Mine did what it was supposed to - attract attention. In fact, it was very common for drivers to pull into the other lane when I was following them - not my intent, but thank you for the free pass. I never had anyone flash their lights at me, and I always felt like I was better seen that way than a bright colored helmet or jacket. With the headlight modulator, I was seen much sooner than with bright colors.

Just my two cents

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mikeytheb View Post
    Actually, it interrupts the ground signal to the headlight causing it to "flash" on and off.
    Nope. From the code:
    (d) The modulator switch must be
    wired in the power lead of the beam
    filament being modulated and not in
    the ground side of the circuit.
    The rest of your comments are correct.

2014 Copper RTS