Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatenhappy View Post
    OK once again a dumb ass AUSTRALIAN type question … Is there any real concern from bears on those roads?
    The only time we saw lots of bears was on the ALCAN road. They hang out there waiting for road kill. On a Spyder or motorcycle, you do not want to slow down or stop for a look. They consider you fresh food.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Default Prudhoe Bay

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I've purchase airbag armor and plan to install it tomorrow. I'm fairly positive we will make the trip to at least the Arctic Circle, then make a decision. I will add a bumpskid next Spring and purchase a Alaska Milepost.
    Joe
    Last edited by Joerolwing; 06-25-2018 at 08:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joerolwing View Post
    Thanks for all the helpful responses. I've purchase airbag armor and plan to install it tomorrow. I'm fairly positive we will make the trip to at least the Arctic Circle, the make a decision. I will add a bumpskid next Spring and purchase a Alaska Milepost.
    Joe
    Hope you have a great trip. You will not be disappointed.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm just starting to plan a trip with my brother to Alaska next year and including the Haul Road up to Prudhoe Bay.
    A guy in the local GWRRA chapter used to live in Alaska. He said the Haul Road is brutal, especially to suspensions. It's mostly rock, as in an old fashioned colonial or English cobblestone street. Trucks travel down it like it's a super highway and kick up huge dust trails that linger a long time if there's no wind. I'd be fearful the Spyder wouldn't be in any condition to return home after that ride, but you'll never know until you try it.

Are you familiar with the Spot GPS tracker? I'd suggest you get one. https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=100 You have three messaging options available with the basic unit. One, you can push the button and the system will send a preset text message with your GPS coordinates to whoever to let them know you're OK. A second option is a call for help where you can send a preset message to someone that will let them know you need help. Unfortunately you can't specify what sort of help you need. The third option is SOS. When you push that button the monitoring service gets your GPS coordinates and notifies the nearest emergency services.

I believe there is a higher cost plan that will enable custom messages to be sent from the tracker.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I may have to back off on my comment above. Believe it or not Google Maps has a Street View of the road all the way to Prudhoe Bay. It doesn't look that bad in the street view. Fairly even with a lot of loose gravel size rock on the surface. Take a look for yourself if you already haven't. It's the Dalton Highway, AK-11.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Bears are a real threat. A hiker was killed, just last week, from a bear mauling while walking a hiking trail just at the end of Hiland Road in Eagle River. You were there when we went local sightseeing. The person was an experienced hiker. The culprit was a brown bear. They are still looking for it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Prudhoe Bay

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I may have to back off on my comment above. Believe it or not Google Maps has a Street View of the road all the way to Prudhoe Bay. It doesn't look that bad in the street view. Fairly even with a lot of loose gravel size rock on the surface. Take a look for yourself if you already haven't. It's the Dalton Highway, AK-11.
    I'm seeing very wide ranging reports of road conditions, likely due recent weather caused problems to reports from experiences that are a few years old. My current primary goal is the Arctic Circle sign which I understand is where the pavement ends. We will then proceed north as long as my Spyder isn't getting torn up.

Spyder Garage

I'm seeing very wide ranging reports of road conditions, likely due recent weather caused problems to reports from experiences that are a few years old. My current primary goal is the Arctic Circle sign which I understand is where the pavement ends. We will then proceed north as long as my Spyder isn't getting torn up.
    Road conditions in the far North can change daily. It does not matter which month or time of year. Current conditions are a must before venturing to far. War stories from past experience are good, but what you will actually run into--Mother Nature will let you know.

Be prepared for bad conditions. If they happen, your "kinda" ready. If they don't--you got lucky.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Mud & lots of it

Last year we took our Jeep to Prudhoe Bay. Very happy we went fantastic trip.

we saw all kinds of wildlife.

Never had a problem with gas, a place to stay or finding a place to eat.

The Jeep did fine. What I saw were motorcycles/cars and trucks covered with mud from the road
    Trucks just beat the road to death and don't slow down.

If I could still ride a 2-wheeler, I would still make the trip. Especially after doing it in the Jeep mud and everything else that make a road exciting!!

I carry 1/2 of extra gas (never needed). Had spare tire, also never need it.
    No or almost no service cell service
    Portable CB radio works great and will also help you too. I looked into a world phone .....I liked it but when I until I
    saw there price, Very speedy
    Ill just have to wait, wold love to have one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I recently came back from a 2 week road trip to alaska, with truck, camper and dog. The thing that I found the most disturbing was a lot of gas stations have been abandoned. Just like the mile post book say's DRIVE ON THE TOP HALF OF YOUR TANK. Yes the weather can change in a heartbeat, just be prepared. Don't screw with the wildlife as they are everywhere , especially the Bison, just ask the guy on the bike I saw get bluff charged. Guaranteed he had to clean his pants and bike seat after that. Have a wonderfull trip. Cell phone service is very spotty, just so you know.