Hybrid View

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ISSUES

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Insyder View Post
    I recently sold my Goldwing Gl1800 as I no longer feel confident on an 800 plus pound bike with the wife and luggage. About 2 weeks ago I replaced it with a 2012 Spyder RT Limited with 3700 original miles. The bike looks and runs like new, however, over the weekend, while on a short ride into the mountains 125 miles N. E. of Phoenix the check engine light came on. The code came up P0174. Upon checking the forum, I learned of many members with this same problem. Many have spent hundreds of dollars and made numerous return trips to dealer service, and still have an ongoing problem. I took mine to a dealer in N.W. Phoenix a couple days ago, and got a call from the service advisor today. He told me the problem was diagnosed as a bad battery and the sensor is throwing the code due to low voltage. Working at a new car dealership I have seen erroneous codes due to low voltage (battery) problems, and I am hoping that is the case here. I approved the installation of a new battery, and will pick the bike up this weekend. Here's hoping this ends the problem.
    … Our Spyders computers are very sensitive to low voltage / amperage so this may very well be the case here ….You Spyder is now 6 years old, the low mileage has little to do with Battery strength if it is the original batt. It is OLD …. The thing that might be an issue ( @ 6 yrs.) is the Vacuum hoses at the Throttle body ( if they are the original ones )....BRP doesn't use SILICONE versions for them and they probably have … microscopic … cracks which will cause leaks and issues...…. they may look OK, but likely aren't change them out for silicone …………..Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    … Our Spyders computers are very sensitive to low voltage / amperage so this may very well be the case here ….You Spyder is now 6 years old, the low mileage has little to do with Battery strength if it is the original batt. It is OLD …. The thing that might be an issue ( @ 6 yrs.) is the Vacuum hoses at the Throttle body ( if they are the original ones )....BRP doesn't use SILICONE versions for them and they probably have … microscopic … cracks which will cause leaks and issues...…. they may look OK, but likely aren't change them out for silicone …………..Mike

Thanks to all for your comments. I will keep you posted. Hopefully this doesn't get too expensive.

Spyder Garage

I had the same code on out 11 RTS. For a while we would pull over pull the key out do a weather dance and keeping riding. It got to a point where it was happening all the time. It turned out to be the throttle bodies. Luckily it was replaced under warranty. In the older models this was a pretty regular occurrence that I saw posted here. Especially for the 2010-2013 RT's (998)
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Default It was the throttle body on mine...

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    I had the same code on out 11 RTS. For a while we would pull over pull the key out do a weather dance and keeping riding. It got to a point where it was happening all the time. It turned out to be the throttle bodies. Luckily it was replaced under warranty. In the older models this was a pretty regular occurrence that I saw posted here. Especially for the 2010-2013 RT's (998)
    Yep - replaced the body and all is well - 2010 RT SM5

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy66 View Post
    Yep - replaced the body and all is well - 2010 RT SM5
    Seems like the throttle body replacement would be a worst case scenario. What did that cost, or was it warrantied?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Battled P0174 for months....

In and out of the dealership more times than I care to recall. Each time it threw the code it would show limp mode. After having so dam many limp modes, frustration set in so I just rode it like I stole it. Thank goodness it was still under warranty . On the last trip to the dealership to pick up my beloved spyder (it was a Sunday) the service department was closed. My 1330 has never missed a beat since. I had no luck in trying to uncover the solution to solving my P0174 code because shortly there after the service department had been restocked with new staff. I spoke to the salesman who sold me the splder and he told me the problem was likely a small vacuum hose leak which was often overlooked, but not an uncommon issue. A simple, simple fix.