Spyder Garage

Default Seeking opinions

I have a 2012 RT-S that I got so my wife and I could go riding. I've retired, but she's still got a couple years to go, and I'm concerned that the 2012 might be a little ragged by that time. I don't know that I'll be able to go brand new, so I'm asking for opinions on best value newer RT-S.
    Pat
    Burp(Gone, but not forgotten) - Viper Red 2012 RT-S SE5
    B-2 - Intense Red Pearl 2016 RT-S SE6
    GP - Phoenix Orange 2019 F3 LTD

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

#1... get an RT and I strongly advise a 14 or newer with the 1330 engine ...... BRP no longer makes the V-twin for Spyders. " Spyderjockey " has over 125,000 miles on His V-twin ....... good luck ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-17-2017 at 09:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

I agree with Mike look for 2014 or newer.Just take your time you never know when a great deal wil come along.
    Bill
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

x 2...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I've put Baja Ron's sway bar, an ultimate seat, and the higher tail/brake light bar on my 2012. Did BRP ever make any of those unnecessary or will I be starting again?
    Pat
    Burp(Gone, but not forgotten) - Viper Red 2012 RT-S SE5
    B-2 - Intense Red Pearl 2016 RT-S SE6
    GP - Phoenix Orange 2019 F3 LTD

Spyder Garage

Farkels will get you no money. If you want a 2012, which you already have, and for less $$$, yeah you could probably find that. But why? The 998 engines are gone now, and not too many mechanics, including BRP techs these days know how they work & how to work on them. Go with a 2015/16 1330 and be much happier.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

with BlueKnight. 2014 or newer so you get the 1330.

Our 2011 still looks and runs like new with 24,000 miles on it. I plan on keeping that unless we get an Indian dealer in town.

What was said about farkles is right on. They are great and add value to the person buying them. I had over $4K in farkles on both the 2008 and 2009. I got virtually nothing for them when I traded the 2008 in to the dealer when I bought a Premier Edition RT. They may help sell the bike if you don't charge for them. Trying to get your money back out of them--not usually happening.

That happens with any brand of motorcycle. I have traded in some real beautiful bikes and I heard the song and dance about accessories each and every time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Had a 11 RT that we put 76,000 miles on

Quote Originally Posted by LLSailor View Post
    I've put Baja Ron's sway bar, an ultimate seat, and the higher tail/brake light bar on my 2012. Did BRP ever make any of those unnecessary or will I be starting again?
    We had Rons Swaybar on that model, and it improved that ride. If the right deal comes along on a 2015 or newer, Move the Ultimate seat over (assume you still have the OEM seat to put on), and
    Ryde, Ryde, Ryde. No hurry since you're ryding a Spyder now, and can enjoy the wind on a great model and when opportunity and the pocket book are right, pull the trigger on a 1330
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Default Trade in Values

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    with BlueKnight. 2014 or newer so you get the 1330.

Our 2011 still looks and runs like new with 24,000 miles on it. I plan on keeping that unless we get an Indian dealer in town.

What was said about farkles is right on. They are great and add value to the person buying them. I had over $4K in farkles on both the 2008 and 2009. I got virtually nothing for them when I traded the 2008 in to the dealer when I bought a Premier Edition RT. They may help sell the bike if you don't charge for them. Trying to get your money back out of them--not usually happening.

That happens with any brand of motorcycle. I have traded in some real beautiful bikes and I heard the song and dance about accessories each and every time.
    I had a virtually new, 2002 Mazda Miata LS, six speed, Mica Blue paint and tan top. Added the Kenne-Bell intercooled supercharger to it. But when someone in a Ford F250 4x4 parked next to it, pulled out and failed to see the car sitting next to it, turned into it. The nose and left front fender were damaged. But the insurance company only valued the car as a 2002 Mazda Miata with so many miles on the odometer. That expensive accessory, added nothing to the overall value of the car. Fortunately for me, the other driver's insurance company foot the bill.
    But I agree with the comment above, get the 2014 or newer RT with the 1330cc engine. Because like you, the wife and I plan on trading in our 2012 Spyder RT-SE for a 2016 (if possible), for an RT Limited. And the only thing we'll be taking with us is the new Corbin electrically heated seat with rider back rest and fuel filler door. The stock seat will go back on the 2012 Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As far as your existing farkles: the Ultimate seat can easily be moved to a newer RT.

Spyder Garage

Lots of goofy comments here.

The 998 engine was still used in the RS and ST in the 2016 models so there are still lots of BRP dealer mechanics that know how to work on them and I don't see parts being a problem for a few years. Geezzz.

Not sure if you are looking for an excuse to get a newer Spyder but if the one you have is still good then stick with it until you feel the itch for something new or different.

Everyone that has "upgraded" to the new engine wants everyone else to upgrade so they will feel better about all the money they spent. My 2013 RS that is loaded up like a RT will still leave those newer Spyder RT's with their 1330 milk truck engines in the dust!

So there!
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post
    My 2013 RS that is loaded up like a RT will still leave those newer Spyder RT's with their 1330 milk truck engines in the dust!

As long as you love your bike:
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 04-28-2017 at 02:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

As long as you love your bike:

I don't own a bike anymore but I do love my trike and will race you anytime.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't race... It gives the insurance guy inside me, the hiccups!

Spyder Garage

Default Relax...

You have a lot of time to make a dicision. If your ryde is doing well why change now. There will be great deals coming along and if one comes your way grab it .
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're in the envious position of having the luxury of time...
    You know what they say:
    "Act in haste, and repent at your leisure!"
    Something will come along, and you'll know it when you see it!