Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Spare Key Cost for 2016 RTL?

I just bought a 2016 RTL but the seller had lost one key and I don't feel comfortable without a spare. I understand these are a bit pricey so looking for a good place to get the spare key made.

What would be a good price range for key and programming?

I am in the Phoenix, AZ area.

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    I just bought a 2016 RTL but the seller had lost one key and I don't feel comfortable without a spare. I understand these are a bit pricey so looking for a good place to get the spare key made.

Thanks!

From your dealer should be in the 65 - 75 dollar area.

you really need to get one from your dealer so he can incorporate it into your computer system.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can no longer clone keys for the newer bikes...
    Sorry boys!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

You can no longer clone keys for the newer bikes...
    Sorry boys!

actually
    These guys can :https://mykeyport.com contact them first

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post

actually
    Do they actually work with the new Crypto-chips?

Spyder Garage

Hi Bob,

Re: You can no longer clone keys for the newer bikes...

Yet.
    Give a couple of 15-yr olds a little time & see what they come up with.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post

actually
    You sure? They can for 2013 and older, but 2014 and on use a rolling code that requires a specific algorithm in the the DESS to interpret the key code. I don't believe anyone has reverse engineered the algorithm, and BRP ain't sayin' what it is.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Bob,

Re: You can no longer clone keys for the newer bikes...

Yet.
    Give a couple of 15-yr olds a little time & see what they come up with.

Jerry Baumchen
    We can only hope...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

When I bought mine new I had the dealer give me (3) keys so even if I lost one I still had a spare.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It's only $60+ bucks guys....its not like replacing a rear tire or anything!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We asked the Toyota Dealership how much a replacement key for a new RAV4 costs,,,
    Their answer: $400!

Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    Go make friends with the local dealer. Get a new key blank, cut it and have them program your Spyder to accept it. Also the key you don't have will be deleted.

While there have the warranty registered in your name. Bring along proof of ownership. Have them look for any outstanding warranty bulletins that may need to be taken care of.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Remember the Keys changed and are different from 2013-2014. A 2013 Key will not work in the 2014+ Spyder. It cannot be programed due to the internal key changes.

Programing must be done at the dealer. It can be cut anywhere. Don't ask me how I know.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

From what I have read there is no reason that the newer transponder chip that BRP uses can't be cloned. Just because no one has done it yet is not proof it can't be done. Need someone with the right equipment. A key reader/writer and a ignition sniffer device.

P.S. I do not think that Keyport mentioned above can clone a newer Spyder key. Access to the Spyder is needed.
    Last edited by billybovine; 05-24-2017 at 09:21 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    ...Just because no one has done it yet is not proof it can't be done. Need someone with the right equipment. A key reader/writer and a ignition sniffer device.
    ...And a couple of Jerry's 15 year-olds!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 05-24-2017 at 09:25 AM.

Spyder Garage

any info on non-chipped key blanks for 2016 and up??? the old ones don't work,

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    any info on non-chipped key blanks for 2016 and up??? the old ones don't work,

Cruzr Joe
    Do you mean the good old Ilco X270 blank won't work?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Do you mean the good old Ilco X270 blank won't work?

Correct, i won't work

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Go make friends with the local dealer. Get a new key blank, cut it and have them program your Spyder to accept it. Also the key you don't have will be deleted.

While there have the warranty registered in your name. Bring along proof of ownership. Have them look for any outstanding warranty bulletins that may need to be taken care of.
    My local Can Am dealer is the first place I tried and as yet, one week later, they "think" they can make a clone but don't know if they have a blank in stock. These guys are pitiful!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Correct, i won't work
    They're just a tiny bit too short now...

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My local Can Am dealer is the first place I tried and as yet, one week later, they "think" they can make a clone but don't know if they have a blank in stock. These guys are pitiful!
    I agree. The dealers don't need to do any cloning if they're talking about a Can Am key. First thing is the new blank one has to be cut. Then, for 2013 & earlier, they use a master key and all your keys, max of 4, to program them into the DESS module. For 2014 & on they program the key into the DESS using BUDS, up to a max of 8 keys.

2013 and earlier keys can be cloned using an Aprilla key. A locksmith copies the codes from an existing key into the new one. The DESS sees it just the same as the original Can Am key so you can have as many as you want. They all look like one key to the DESS. I don't think any Can Am dealer can or will clone a key. They only sell genuine Can Am keys.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Just clear up some terminology here. Your BRP dealer will not clone a key. They will get a new uncut blank from BRP. Have it cut to match your original. Then plug a computer into your Spyder and program your Spyder to accept it. The BRP key cannot be made into a clone. It's transponder code is set and cannot be changed.

When cloning a key. The key blank will come from a aftermarket supplier. It will contain a special transponder chip that can be programed to pretend to be one of your original keys. No one has posted successfully doing that with a 2014 or later key.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Correct, i won't work

Sorry, Ilco X270 works perfectly in the 2015 and up Spyders. Have some myself and have made some for customers. Why would you think they would not work?

If you disable DESS you can carry a spare key in your billfold for those awkward senior moments like dropping your keys in the frunk just as you are pushing the lid closed.....

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

It seemed unusual that the X270 wouldn't work. On my '14, if you look at the picture, when I compared the length of the X270 and the Can-Am key it was immediately obvious that in order to make it work in the ignition switch to unlock the frunk or seat I had to bevel the edges so that when I pushed down on the key it went alway to the bottom so the key could be turned left or right. If not beveled it will only unlock the trunk. Like JC said, mine lives in my wallet.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    It seemed unusual that the X270 wouldn't work. On my '14, if you look at the picture, when I compared the length of the X270 and the Can-Am key it was immediately obvious that in order to make it work in the ignition switch to unlock the frunk or seat I had to bevel the edges so that when I pushed down on the key it went alway to the bottom so the key could be turned left or right. If not beveled it will only unlock the trunk. Like JC said, mine lives in my wallet.
    ​Same here.