Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Praise the Lord and Thank BRP

This is my 1st post. I have read SL for several years, but never thought I had anything of importance to add. There have been complaints about how BRP makes the Spyder and there have been praises. I want to praise BRP for building a sturdy and safe machine.

Yesterday, I was following a 18wheeler (100ft or so behind, 65mph), He served to miss a 4x4x8 post that bounced out of a truck in front of him. He missed with his front wheels but the rear drivers caught the end of the post. The impact broke the post into 3 pieces (5ft,2ft,1ft). The drivers ejected the pieces backward across my lane. I hit the brakes and managed to miss the largest and smallest, but hit the 2ft straight on at 50+ mph with my left front wheel. The wheel jumped at least a foot upward nearly tossing me from the saddle, but I was able to maintain control and pulled to side a 100ft or so forward.

After I cleared the road of the post, I checked the Spyder, I expected at the very least a shattered front rim, but found only a bad dent. The tire was still inflated only loosing 5lbs of air (22 to 17). I was surprised to find I could still drive. I drove the 40+ miles home at 30mph. There is damage because the left front has a bad vibration. I will trailer the Spyder into CentralTexasMotorsports today.

I have be riding 60 years and know that the hospital or morgue would have been my destination on any other motorcycle and some cars yesterday. So, I am writing this so you know that what ever faults you find in a Spyder, you must know that BRP has made the safest machine that they could make.

God Bless and ride safe.

mudmarine

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that this encounter worked out so well for you and your Spyder!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about your encounter, but glad to hear you are OK! Spyder can be fixed. The body is a lot harder to fix.

Also WELCOME!!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Glad you made it out in one unscathed pc. Machines can be repaired/replaced. Not so easy for us humans. Welcome to the SpyderLovers forum. Hope you have many more miles of smiles w/o accidents

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes..!!

really glad you were on a spyder. That was a close call that would have ended badly on any other open vehicle. You have to give yourself credit for handling it as well a you did sadly there will always be those unhappy with what the have but they are the safest on the road. Hope theyget you fixed up and back on the road...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome! Glad you are OK. I try to ride defensively and still these things happen. Rims and tires are easy to fix.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Thank the Lord you are OK, and thanks for the info on the Spyder. I have ridden two wheelers about 60 years and think I am about ready to get a Spyder. Your input was good to hear.

Spyder Garage

Glad you walked away. I know how you feel, I rode a pit bull down a country road a few years ago without any damage or injuries.

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Whoa!!

Glad you are ok dude. Got to give it up to the Spyder for being made the way it's made. Yes any other bike specially a two wheeler would have been horrible.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mudmarine View Post
    This is my 1st post. I have read SL for several years, but never thought I had anything of importance to add. There have been complaints about how BRP makes the Spyder and there have been praises. I want to praise BRP for building a sturdy and safe machine.

Yesterday, I was following a 18wheeler (100ft or so behind, 65mph), He served to miss a 4x4x8 post that bounced out of a truck in front of him. He missed with his front wheels but the rear drivers caught the end of the post. The impact broke the post into 3 pieces (5ft,2ft,1ft). The drivers ejected the pieces backward across my lane. I hit the brakes and managed to miss the largest and smallest, but hit the 2ft straight on at 50+ mph with my left front wheel. The wheel jumped at least a foot upward nearly tossing me from the saddle, but I was able to maintain control and pulled to side a 100ft or so forward.

After I cleared the road of the post, I checked the Spyder, I expected at the very least a shattered front rim, but found only a bad dent. The tire was still inflated only loosing 5lbs of air (22 to 17). I was surprised to find I could still drive. I drove the 40+ miles home at 30mph. There is damage because the left front has a bad vibration. I will trailer the Spyder into CentralTexasMotorsports today.

I have be riding 60 years and know that the hospital or morgue would have been my destination on any other motorcycle and some cars yesterday. So, I am writing this so you know that what ever faults you find in a Spyder, you must know that BRP has made the safest machine that they could make.

God Bless and ride safe.

mudmarine
    interesting story and thanks for sharing.
    THE BIG FF

Spyder Garage

All's well that ends well. Glad you are ok, that is some scary stuff.

There are many threads on here about these types of things and for the most part us Spyder riders come out of it in good shape.

I hit a deer on mine. I'm here, my Spyder's here, the deer was not as lucky.
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

Default HAPPY

I'M HAPPY YOU'RE HERE TO TELL US ABOUT IT......
    YOU CAN ALWAYS REPLACE A SPYD3R, BUT NOT A LIFE... GOD WAS YOUR COPILOT FOR SURE......
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

WOW!! Glad your ok

Spyder Garage

The built in safety mechanisms do work when called upon. Also agree that on two wheels, the outcome may have been quite different.

I had an encounter with an unlucky and big dog near the end of the season last year. Came out of the woods, full blast across my front. Threw the dog up and over the . I could not avoid because there was an oncoming semi. If I had not hit him, the semi would have.

$2,000 worth of front end damage, but most was cosmetic. Was able to drive it home and to the dealer. It has been repaired and works fine.

Were I on two wheels, I probably would not have been typing this reply.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad you came out of the incident OK and with your Spyder pretty-much intact.

BTW, not having anything of importance to add has never stopped many of us from posting. So you might as well join the party so we can get to know you!

PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Agree with everyone, glad you are ok and it would have been a severe disaster had you been on two wheels. That is why i just got my spyder, i still love my bike but i am always that slight scared/nervous on it that i dont feel when im on the spyder. Since that feeling is one thing when you are riding by yourself but a whole different deal when you are taking passengers i got the spyder. Risking my neck is one thing but taking my wife or daughter i wanted to be a safe as possible and there is zero doubt that a spyder is safer than a traditional motorcycle.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post

BTW, not having anything of importance to add has never stopped many of us from posting. So you might as well join the party so we can get to know you!

Excellent point PrairieSpyder, I am proof of that.
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

I am so very glad you are ok. That was just way too scary. Please let us know what the damage was to your spyder after they examine it. It would be interesting to know how well it took that hit.

2016 F3-L Special Series Triple Black
    August 25, 2016

2014 ST-Limited
    July 2, 2014

"Just going down that long lonesome highway" and now REALLY loving every minute!!

Spyder Garage

I shudder to think what would have happened if you were riding a 2 wheeler when that happened. Safety is one big reason why I switched from 2 to 3 wheels. I hope it doesn't cost you a lot to get the Spyder back in top shape.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Thank God

that you are OK. However, I have to say you can not presume that being on the Spyder turned out any different than would have happened on 2 wheels. It sounds good and I am sure the built in controls probably made a positive out come. But I have had a similar experience on my Wing several years ago and came out of it with a bent rim, no loss of air pressure nor other damage once I washed out my pants. Talk about the pucker factor. I was lucky. The 2x4 bounced ahead of me, landed flat on the road as I hit it from the side. There was no time to swerve around the 8 foot length so I pretty much hit it dead center. I was lucky or should I say God was watching out for me.
    Glad it all turned out OK for you.
    2015 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mudmarine View Post

God Bless and ride safe.

mudmarine

Thanks for sharing!

And for being able to share!

Spyder Garage

Glad you lived to tell. Road debris and items falling from trucks and RVs are on my watch list when riding. Scary.
    2012 RT-SE5

Spyder Garage

congrats on the first post, but sorry it was for this reason!! always glad to hear praises!

Spyder Garage

Glad you came out ok

Spyder Garage

All's well that ends well............thanks for sharing!

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards