Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default BajaRon anti-sway bar install

Ok last week I got my bajaron anti sway bar. I'm dying to install it, but unfortunately, my frunk is currently not working. So my question is. How difficult is it to install the bar without removing the frunk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Remove two bottom frunk bolts right and left and pry back to gain room to remove the bolts and slide the bar out.

Spyder Garage

Default Install Anti Sway Bar

It is very easy even if your just a little mechanically inclined. jack up the front of your about a foot off the ground. You can loosen the bottom of the Frunk or just wedge a 2X4 and spread Frunk away from the frame. Remove the old Anti Sway Bar. KEY POINT INSTALL ALL NEW HARDWARE THAT CAME WITH THE SWAY BAR. Wrap a find wire or string around the new bolts. Then feed the wire or string up through the "U" bracket and hole in the frame to pull the bolt through instead of using your fingers in such a small area. this will speed your installation time considerably. Loose fit the new sway bar and center the best you can. Tighten all bolts and then check any other bolts you may see just a precautionary measure. Maybe take you 1.5 to 2 hours trime. Now put your Spyder on the ground and find the TWISTIES AND GO LIKE A BAT OUT OF HELLO!!

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see..!!

If you got your bar from Ron the instruction are clear on changing procedures either way. It is quite simple if you take your time. Good luck your going to love your new unit...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Oh yeah I definitely got the instructions. It just seems like Ron recommends removing the frunk. I was just wondering if it is difficult to do without removing it. I'm sure I will get it on there. I'll keep you all posted
    Last edited by JasonAM; 03-29-2013 at 02:27 AM.

Spyder Garage

I just installed a BajaRon sway bar last week and the instructions do not tell you to remove the frunk. If your doing this on your own cut a 2" long piece of 2x4 and after following the instructions to remove the needed bolts and fasteners to be able to lift the frunk up enough to remove the sway bar put the 2x4 between the frunk and the frame and it will hold the frunk for you.

On your first ride as spring is approaching move your windshield all the way up so you don't eat too many bugs with that big smile...

John

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Jason! Even I managed to get the job done with the frunk still on the bike... Once you get the Spyder up in the air; it's pretty easy to see what you need to do in order to be able to get to the "clamps" that hold the bar in place. There's two bolts that hold the frunk down there; pretty close to the clamp's attaching points. pull them out, and GENTLY pry the frunk out about an inch or so... and prop it in place on each side. (That way you can remove a prop to work on a side...) You can get to those clamp bolts easier if you kind of contort yourself so that your upper "wrenching arm" enters the tangle of Tupperware from out front; just above the "wings"...Good luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JasonAM View Post
    Ok last week I got my bajaron anti sway bar. I'm dying to install it, but unfortunately, my frunk is currently not working. So my question is. How difficult is it to install the bar without removing the frunk
    ON the RT the frunk needs to be open to pop off the service panels on the left and right and then to remove the bolts #68 in the instructions. If yours is a RS it may be different.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

I did my install last week and it went well, about 2 hrs. I am assuming that when you say your frunk is not working that you can't open it? If that is the case I don't think I would try to take out the two bottom bolts and pry the frunk forward to do the install because you might damage the tupperware Just my thoughts.

2012 Spyder RT Limited
    Guardian Bell (gift from son)
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    ISCI hand brake
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors

Spyder Garage

Post Sway Bar

You defininately need to remove those two upper bolts to prevent damaging the upper end of the frunk.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My BajaRon bar is at the post office, waiting for me to pick it up. Just arrived, I can't wait to put it on!lots of time though as there is still about 3 ft of snow on the ground and a huge snow bank in front of the door where the Spyder is resting!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I tried the block of wood stuff BUT it got in the way- I Had a Trolley jack on the front bottom of trunk "Centered" and as you jack it moves froward slightly and did a great job of keeping the trunk up and out of the way and you could still lay down on either side and work.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default Bajaron Custom Sway Bar Install

The install instructions vary somewhat depending on which Spyder model you have (RS series or RT series). I believe you have an RS series Spyder.

The RS series Spyders have a very easy Frunk removal process. It is easier to install the Sway Bar with the Frunk off but I detail the install procedure for both Frunk off and Frunk on methods. Either will work and both are relatively easy.

The RS series Spyders have a much more difficult Frunk removal process and I do not recommend it, nor do I give instructions for this approach on the RT model Spyders. It is much easier and quicker on the RT's to simply remove 4 bolts (2 upper and 2 lower) so that the Frunk can be moved the 3 or 4 inches necessary to do the sway bar install.

I highly recommend what I almost never do. Read through the instructions completely before beginning the install. I know, I get excited and I just want to put my new farkle on and try it out. But reading completely through the instructions with a focused head will not take very long and it will pay off every time.

Good luck and let me know if you need any help.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yeah I got the RS-S. I was reading the instructions last night shouldnt be a problem. This will be my Friday night project

Spyder Garage

Yeah I got the RS-S. I was reading the instructions last night shouldnt be a problem. This will be my Friday night project
    Great! Hope you love the bar!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

So before I get into this project does anyony think I will encounter problems due to my frunk not being opened? Once I remove the 2 bottom bolts, will i be able to pry the frunk forward while the frunk lid is closed?

Spyder Garage

This is what I did.

IMG_017w.jpg
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Here is link to an install photo album
    http://s808.photobucket.com/user/lkn...0bar%20install

Hope it helps
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold

Spyder Garage

So before I get into this project does anyony think I will encounter problems due to my frunk not being opened? Once I remove the 2 bottom bolts, will i be able to pry the frunk forward while the frunk lid is closed?
    You may encounter difficulties.

The instructions require you to remove 4 bolts that hold the frunk in place and take off the cover plates over the two top access panels one of which is for the BUDS connector.
    You need to open the frunk lid in order to remove the two access panels. Removing the FOUR bolts and the two access covers allows for the frunk to wiggle out of the way. It's debatable whether or not removing two access panels on top is required, or merely "more better", but if you only take out the two bottom bolts, the frunk will remain immobile.
    You need to move the frunk out of the way to access the two upper bolts on the u-clamps that hold the sway bar in place.
    Also, there are threads on how to open up the frunk manually by removing the side access panel and reaching up to activate the latch.

Have you read the instructions ?
    Not everyone has the same degree of ability. If you are having this much trouble understanding the instructions, perhaps this may be beyond your talents.
    If I was closer to you, I'd be more than happy to come over and help.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Repeat - do not remove the frunk to do the install.
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold

Spyder Garage

You should fix your Frunk as you will want the lid open whether or not you decide to remove the Frunk. Be careful with advise from RT owners. Their install is similar in some ways but not the same in regards to how the Frunk portion of the process is handled.

The RT Frunk has similarities with the RS Frunk but there are very important differences as well. Stick to the instructions you received to install this bar on your RS model Spyder.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default RSS Ron Bar

Well i finally ordered my sway bar cant waite for it to come and experience the more stable ride,ill be mounting it without removing the frunk should be a breeze with the info gained here Thanks Ron.
    Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    This is what I did.

IMG_017w.jpg
    Nice and simple spacer!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

OOPS! Sorry, I didnt notice it was not an RT!
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold

Spyder Garage

I am so going to get me one of them sway bars for my new baby , might ride her a bit first though , so I can feel the difference .