Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boot question

Spyder Garage

Default Boot question

So wanted to see what kind of boots folks recommend on the spyder. I have a pair of Milwaukee's, but they are so heavy and not all day comfortable. Wanted to get some preferably not super pricey recommendations.

Spyder Garage

Bates makes a wide variety of boots. Check the clearance section. I got boots for $50, free shipping. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I have one set of heavy duty engineer boots. They might be Milwaukee. Been riding with them for 20 plus years. They are now on their second set of soles.

Also have a pair of Wellingtons with the zipper up the side. Have gone back to wearing them again this year. Not as heavy.

I am a boot person when it comes to riding any M/C.

Also have a pair of SIVI which are waterproof.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-05-2018 at 12:57 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default I’ve got 2 pair

I picked up a pair of Alpinestar fastback waterproof riding shoes which are like a short boot. I also have a pair of the CanAm leather boots. I’ve only used the Alpinestar as they are so comfortable on longer trips.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Boots

I have a pair of Chippewas (sp?) that I have had for years. Leather-lined and velcro closure. Very comfortable for all-day wear, but a little too warm for hot weather.
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP's RT Touring boots are comfortable, and have kept my feet dry through more than their fair share of "Toad-Strangling" Storms!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Bates makes a wide variety of boots. Check the clearance section. I got boots for $50, free shipping. Tom
    I have several pairs of Bates and like them very much. Although not specifically motorcycle boots, their tactical line is excellent. They're well made, lightweight, comfortable and offer good support. They also don't make you look like you should be out in the forest chopping down trees.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Default wide...?

my legs dont work that good--if anyone knows shoes that are lightweight and where they open up widely to get my foot in--instead of a tight squeeze with laces--please let me know--i would sacrifice max protection for comfort and ease of putting them on and off

Quote Originally Posted by roguesquad View Post
    So wanted to see what kind of boots folks recommend on the spyder. I have a pair of Milwaukee's, but they are so heavy and not all day comfortable. Wanted to get some preferably not super pricey recommendations.

Spyder Garage

Default Sketchers Wide Fit

Quote Originally Posted by Petrom714 View Post
    my legs dont work that good--if anyone knows shoes that are lightweight and where they open up widely to get my foot in--instead of a tight squeeze with laces--please let me know--i would sacrifice max protection for comfort and ease of putting them on and off
    About a month ago I bought Sketchers Wide Fit sneakers and casual dress shoes. Most comfortable shoes I’ve ever owned! No laces-easy to put on, good looking and extremely comfortable. I believe they make those in boots also. I’m gonna check soon and most likely buy them-if they have the protection I want (but I believe they do). It’s the shoe that Howie Long does the commercial. “It’s like first class for your feet”. Lol. Give them I try, I’m glad I did.
    😎🕷

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Spyder Garage

Default Boots

I wear a pair of Columbia boots. They are super comfy for walking around a park when I’m out riding (or I change into a pair of athletic shoes for walking).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred View Post
    About a month ago I bought Sketchers Wide Fit sneakers and casual dress shoes. Most comfortable shoes I’ve ever owned! No laces-easy to put on, good looking and extremely comfortable. I believe they make those in boots also. I’m gonna check soon and most likely buy them-if they have the protection I want (but I believe they do). It’s the shoe that Howie Long does the commercial. “It’s like first class for your feet”. Lol. Give them I try, I’m glad I did.
    ����
    Plus one on Sketchers, for my every day rides.......when I get on the road I use Bilt (Cycle Gear) waterproof boots. Both work well for me.
    Last edited by Big Juice; 08-05-2018 at 12:13 PM.

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)

Spyder Garage

I have a pair of Cowboy riders I wear when it's going to rain. Plus I use a pair of boot covers. Most the time I wear sketches walking shoes.

Spyder Garage

I wear Klim Outlander's. They're waterproof and super comfy, they're described as a combination m/c and hiking boot.

I've ridden with other, non m/c boots and agree they're more comfortable, but believe that in most cases, m/c specific boots will offer you more protection as they're designed to protect your feet in a crash whereas work/hiking/etc boots are not.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Here is what I use .....

I got mine from Cycle Gear for around $60.00 worth every penny
    Boots 3.jpgBoots 2.jpgBoots.jpg
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Look for a boot with a side zipper. I have Bates boots from working with the Fire Department/CERT, they are gore tex waterproof, composite toe and side zipper. They are very comfortable, protective and very easy on/off. Similar to THESE...
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Maybe this is the answer for you, lace in boot zippers. https://www.thorogoodusa.com/product...sories/page/2/. I use the 10 eye one on my Hathorn work boots. The boot opens wide to put my foot in and then zips up snug. After I zip them up I tie the laces. Works great. Firefighters use zipper boots so they can get them on quickly.

Here's a video showing how they work. Kind of long but shows them really well.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by L_r_g View Post
    I wear Klim Outlander's. They're waterproof and super comfy, they're described as a combination m/c and hiking boot.

I've ridden with other, non m/c boots and agree they're more comfortable, but believe that in most cases, m/c specific boots will offer you more protection as they're designed to protect your feet in a crash whereas work/hiking/etc boots are not.
    I JUST GOT A PAIR OF KLIM OUTLAND BOOTS MYSELF GREAT BOOT GORE-TECK AND D30 ARMOUR WHAT COULB BE BETTER
    BAJARON SWAY BAR PLUS LINKS
    BAJARON SPACER
    ULTIMATE SEAT WITH GAS DOOR
    JT SHELF BAR
    SPYDERFLAP
    BUMPSKID
    XM RADIO
    POWER OUTLET
    LAMONSTER CUP HOLDER
    2015 RT LIMITED
    PIN STRIPPING BY MACK THE KNIFE
    RIVCO FLAG HOLDER
    SENA SM10 BLUE TOOTH
    LAMONSTER FBB HIGHWAY BRACKET WING BOARD BLK
    BPR TRAILER HITCH
    KRADELLOCK FOR THE GPS
    BIG BRAKE PEDAL BY TRICLED

Spyder Garage

Maybe it's the retired military in me but
    https://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en/..._DABA_NoStatic

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

No problem the above mentioned Bates has several with normal lace & zippers along the inside of boot. Several brands are picking it up. I'm currently alternating between Day five for my casual/dressIMG_8582.jpgIMG_8583.jpg& magnum IMG_8584.jpg if looks like rain. Plus just to help make them last longer (mine lucky to last a year) had some Bates they were good, but I ended up tearing the inside heals out(improper & lazy removal) these others were gifts & are doing well think were found at rack room.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

bought my stylmartin's this year, really comfortable, i wear them even when not riding.

Spyder Garage

I wear Blackhawk's LE/Emergency Services boot. Not really made for riding, but they are the most comfortable boots I've ever worn when I get off the bike/trike.

https://uspatriottactical.com/blackh...litary%20Boots

They're six years old, and I hope to replace them with Gaerne's G Adventure boot next year.

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/g...re-boot-black/

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hijack this thread - but why wear boots at all on a Spyder? Not trying to be difficult, but I'd like to know if there's a good reason. I always thought a reason for wearing boots on a 2-wheeler was to help prevent turning an ankle when putting your foot down when coming to a stop. - But that doesn't apply to a Spyder.

FWIW - I generally wear a pair if Merrill sneakers when ryding. Maybe in the colder weather, I'll switch to hiking boots, but I don't ryde when it's really cold anyway.

So can someone explain to me the purpose of wearing boots when ryding a Spyder?

Thanks!
    Bert

Spyder Garage

It's a matter of personal tastes.

I wear boots because I like the extra ankle support (a carryover from my two wheel riding--which I still do).

One pair--has steel toes. Extra protection.

I like the look of boots when paired with a bike of any kind.

I also have three pair of "nice" western boots. Which I usually wear on "other" occasions. To nice for bike riding--don't want them to get marked up.

Have shoes--but hardly wear them. Still look like new after about 18 years ago when I bought four pair of new ones.

Personally, I feel "naked" when wearing anything other than boots for riding.

Those that like shoes or similar--that's your personal taste. No problem for me.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-09-2018 at 11:21 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    Sorry to hijack this thread - but why wear boots at all on a Spyder? Not trying to be difficult, but I'd like to know if there's a good reason. I always thought a reason for wearing boots on a 2-wheeler was to help prevent turning an ankle when putting your foot down when coming to a stop. - But that doesn't apply to a Spyder.

FWIW - I generally wear a pair if Merrill sneakers when ryding. Maybe in the colder weather, I'll switch to hiking boots, but I don't ryde when it's really cold anyway.

So can someone explain to me the purpose of wearing boots when ryding a Spyder?

Thanks!
    To protect your feet in the unlikely event you crash. If you're wearing sneakers and go skidding down the pavement with your legs doubled up under your body or trapped under your bike you might not have any feet left at the end. Wear boots and you'll still have healthy feet for the next crash! And don't think it can't happen. I dare say everyone on a m/c who was killed by not wearing a helmet also said it'll never happen to them.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    Sorry to hijack this thread - but why wear boots at all on a Spyder? Not trying to be difficult, but I'd like to know if there's a good reason.
    Please read this post: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=1#post1382960

2014 Copper RTS